One Step Closer to Knowing Appreciation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rihannsu said:

Well, dying of cancer is a bit slow without much buildup or anything so I would say the music captures the feeling it should. Also, since the song is about someone who isn't confident in their faith of what comes after death it make sense that there is not great buildup. They are not anticipating a glorious heaven but rather are somewhat anxious about what awaits. For me the music sets the mood of one's life slowly but relentlessly fading away. It makes sense that there is very little energy to the song and a sort of monotanous tone because that fits the subject perfectly. It pretty much is the soundtrack to a coma, one that leads "round the corner" to death.

Dana

That's a great interpretation.

I love the song. Bono's lyrics are so emphatic, it's amazing how he can go to this very dark place with this song, other than with Sometimes, which is totally written from his personal perspective. Two songs dealing with the same issue, yet so different. And I agree, the way OSC structured, it fits the theme perfectly.

I liked it better before I learned that that knob from Oasis helped inspire the title.

Back
Top Bottom