One Step Closer = Most underrated song ever...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoodlem

War Child
...or at least on the new album. I seriously do not understand the abuse it recieves around here. It is sheer beauty. It certainly did not deserve to be voted off first in survivor. Does anyone out there love this song?

I agree. On of my top 4 or 5 from the album. I always thought Grace never got the respect it deserved as well.

Yeah I love this song, it´s very soothing and spiritual... it´s has a beautiful atmosphere...but, it´s just not as good as the others... it can´t fight against monsters like COBL, Miracle Drug, LAPOE and even ABOY... but it´s a beautiful song, the way it is.. do you understand what I mean?

my least favorite of the album is A Man and a Woman

I don't think it's the most underrated song ever, but I don't think it gets enough credit. It's quite gentle and lovely. :)

This is one of the best songs on the album. It is beautiful and stunning, an equal of Running To Stand Still, The First Time, and Grace (which is the most underrated U2 song of all time). When you let the atmosphere of the song wash over you, it is a beautiful feeling that conjures up all kinds of images and thoughts in one's mind.

I love One Step Closer... probably in my Top 3 songs from the new album, the Top being City of Blinding Lights, then One Step, then A Man and a Woman...

Not only is it a beautiful piece, much like The First Time, it makes perfect sense that the whole time throughout the song, it's constantly building as the persona gets one step closer to knowing... but it ends so abruptly rather than climaxing into this massive revelation-type instrumental. It appears to me as a very intellectual piece on the album.

I love it. and yes it is underrated.
WHYWHY.

I just thought I would add that, while I am not a huge fan of ATYCLB, Grace is sadly maligned as well...even by those who claim to love ATYCLB. I always thought Grace was an excellent song and a great closer.

The lyric on "One Step" is one of Bono's best ever. Each verse describes an aimless drifter who's unsure of where's he's headed, and then the chorus reminds the listener that he's still one step closer to knowing whether God and salvation exist. (another nice little low-key topic from Bono, eh?)

brilliant lyrics and great delivery by Bono. Great song which kind of reminds me of "The First Time," which was brilliant. I love how the song is sung on a that "hushed background" and it builds up at the end to kind of stop abruptly. Great song.

Great song. A real grower. The part when Edge's guitar and that big synth combine(before the third verse) is amazing.

One of the songs with the greatest artistic merit on the album in my opinion:wink:

Great song...i think it'd be cool if they did some sort of instrumental jam at the end of it if they play it on tour

certainly under rated - but not the most under rated of all time - that award goes to Achy Breaky Heart by Billy Ray Cyrus - kidding:wink:

Right behind Sometimes and Original, and tied with City, this is one of my favorites on the album.
The lyrics creep me out a bit, with the character approaching death - but much as I enjoy Edge's guitar, sometimes the result when he is less present is incredible.
Another example of that would be Running to stand still or The first time.

CPTLCTYGOOFBALL said:
I agree. On of my top 4 or 5 from the album. I always thought Grace never got the respect it deserved as well.

Never much cared for GRACE, but OSC is a great song... very moving and touching. I never moan to myself when it pops up when I'm listening to the album. :up:

What is the story behind it? I know it's about Noel, but what?

I love it and relate totally to the lyrics. They tell the story of what is currently happening to me and it's not good (probably worse than Noel!)

This song is AMAZING. So poignant, so soothing, so beautiful.

After hearing it a few times, it kinda felt like a Bruce Springsteen song, the way Bono sings it and the melody. A very Springsteen-like influential song.

U2Kitten said:
What is the story behind it? I know it's about Noel, but what?

Bono and him were talking about Bob Hewson and Bono said he - Bob - was losing his faith and not really sure where he was going. Noel replied "Well he's one step closer to knowing isn't he?"

U2girl said:

Bono and him were talking about Bob Hewson and Bono said he - Bob - was losing his faith and not really sure where he was going. Noel replied "Well he's one step closer to knowing isn't he?"

....as he threw his beer bottle at a bouncer and was thrown out of the club!:wink:

LyricalDrug said:
The lyric on "One Step" is one of Bono's best ever. Each verse describes an aimless drifter who's unsure of where's he's headed, and then the chorus reminds the listener that he's still one step closer to knowing whether God and salvation exist. (another nice little low-key topic from Bono, eh?)

:yes:. Bono's good at writing lyrics like that-lyrics where a person's going through a nasty patch, and you hear the song and immediately start feeling down and feel bad for them, but yet there's hope there, too, there's always a part in there where the lyrics are reassuring, where they're saying, "Yeah, I know it's hard now, but things will get better, I promise", and you hear that and start feeling better. I think that's cool how he mixes all that together.

Also, I must agree, I like the other two songs this one's being compared to in here-"Grace" and "The First Time" are great, too.

Angela

I veer from thinking its the best song on the album to wanting to burn it, it all depends on mood for me. All in all though, its a winner, and hearing it acoustically live with just Edge and Bono WILL be fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom