One Step Closer Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
I must admit, I don't listen to HTDAAB that much anymore. I actually listen to all of ATYCLB last night and it still sounds as amazing as it did the first time I listened to it in 2001.

Bomb, on the other hand, sounds kinda dull already. A lot of the songs I once adored like Miracle Drug and City of Blinding Lights don't really shine as much as they did originally. Plus, the production's poor and the album just isn't very cohesive.

Anyway, this isn't a Bomb bashing thread, I do still like the album, and the live shows I attended were absolutely mind-blowing. One Step Closer has slowly begun to emerge as one of the best songs on the album to me. The beginning of the track sounds like it could have come from a modern Daniel Lanois album, and Bono's vocal performance really reminds me of something from Pop or the MDH soundtrack. It's also one of the best produced tracks on the album, thanks to the amazing Mr. Lanois, his pedal steel guitar is also greatly appreciated.

Along with Original of the Species and Fast Cars, One Step Closer is the only song I still listen to regularly on HTDAAB. Anyone else?

Finally, anyone comes and say anything fair about this song.
I can't understand how can this be so despized and underrated. This song has one of the most beautiful lyrics of this decade. How can nobody pay attention to the images that Bono offers us though those words. I think that "well the heart that hurts is a heart that beats", for instance is one of the most beautiful and meaningfull ones I've ever heard.
Maybe the songs stayed as an atmospheric, "drumless" (ok, I know it has drums, but...) and with a only-line chorus because it was meant to be like this. In fact, being the song as it is, there would be no need to change it at all.

I remember about hearing thatthe first versions of this song had more drums and more guitar work that made it rawer. I just wonder how that "alternate version" would sound like.
Anyway, I think that this song could've been played in Vertigo Tour, perhaps just after Sometimes, as an extended snippet. Or maybe take the place of Running To Stand Still/Miss Sarajevo in a few shows (only to see how it would look like).

Great song!:up:

:up: From the start, one of my favourites off Bomb. Fave lyric off the album, too.

I really like it, it might be my favorite song on HTDAAB! I love the lyrics!

Last edited:
I always liked One Step Closer. It's a quiet, atmospheric song, and I find it very visual. It's a song of both despair and hope, and it's quite pretty. "A heart that hurts, is a heart that beats" is beautiful.

I adore One Step Closer, totally underated on this forum. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Along with:

Vertigo,
SYCMIOYO,
LPOE,
COBL,
CFYT,
OOTS,
Yahweh.

HTDAAB has songs that are built to last and as an album will only be fully appreciated in years to come IMO.

Last edited:
Yes! Ever since the album came out, I've been saying that this song is beautiful, and although my opinion of most other songs has slipped, my opinion of One Step Closer has grown a little. I consider it one of the top three HTDAAB songs, and the only one to actually have a great sense of atmosphere despite the over-production. Lovely, soft little number.

U2democrat said:
One Step Closer...for the longest time I just kind of skipped over it, then one time I just listened to it and realized how beautiful it is :up:
That's exactly how it was for me :yes: I really love it now. It's really great to listen to in a quiet moment.

A sister song to The First Time very beautiful song and I will always love it.

I didn't like it that much when I first heard it, but it quickly grew on me. It really has some of the most beautiful lyrics of any U2 song. The imagery is amazing and there are many background elements that truly make the song great. If you don't like it yet, listen to it through headphones on a rainy day. That's what got me.

I have never understood the contempt for this song. It is one of the most beautiful U2 moments of this decade. Best lyrics on the album. love the atmosphere.

"The heart that hurts, is the heart that beats...
Can you hear the drummer slowing?"

This is very much like a Leonard Cohen song -- the lyrics are more striking than the music. I'd love to hear a different arrangement of it, perhaps with piano, and maybe change the key.

OSC imo is the best song of the socalled bomb. the song has a zooropaen feeling (e.g. first time / stay)

Axver said:
Yes! Ever since the album came out, I've been saying that this song is beautiful, and although my opinion of most other songs has slipped, my opinion of One Step Closer has grown a little. I consider it one of the top three HTDAAB songs, and the only one to actually have a great sense of atmosphere despite the over-production. Lovely, soft little number.
:up:

Beautiful song, has a Joshua Tree feel to it.

Beautiful Beautiful song

Love the lyrics

Im hanging out to dry with my old clothes
my fingers still red with the prick from an old rose

Vastly underated !!!

I can not stand the song but it has a lot of potential , the song grows as it progress's but it never reaches the heights.

Didnt noel have something to do with this song ?

Yes.
Bono and Noel Gallagher were talking how his father wasn't sure where he was going, about his faith...and Noel said "Well he's one step closer to knowing isn't he".

I really loved this song from the start.
In fact when Running to stand still turned up in the setlist again, I hoped they would throw in One Step Closer just to change things around after a couple of shows or if they played the same city more than once.
Instead they brought back Miss Sarajevo too, and that is also an amazing live song.
Here's a medley I did with One Step Closer/Stay (Acoustic Elevation Tour version) and Kite (from Slane Castle), I really would love to see this live:

U2 - Stay (The Kite is Faraway! Come One Step Closer!) [E//89 mix]

http://www.save file.com/files/73957
just delete the space between save and file ;)

Back
Top Bottom