One Step Closer Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
This is a gorgeous gem lost in the shuffle of HTDAAB. I personally think this is one of the top 5 tracks on the record(along with LAPOE, Fast Cars, Sometimes, Crumbs), it has much more effect on me than such rock-by-numbers tracks as ABOY.

I like Yahweh a lot but I think One Step Closer would have been a better closing; I always liked the U2 tradition of ending records on a downer.

One Step Closer :drool:

namkcuR said:

I like Yahweh a lot but I think One Step Closer would have been a better closing; I always liked the U2 tradition of ending records on a downer.

I totally agree there. Grace/Wake Up Dead Man/Wanderer/Love Is Blindness/All I Want Is You/Mothers/MLK/40...all perfect slow-tempo numbers that end their respective albums well.

One step closer would've fitted in that list nicely.

Finally! A thread worth posting in.

Great song and severely underrated by "fans" around here.

OSC is pretty, but a little on the boring side.

@U2's Answer Guy reviewed all the songs on HTDAAB, and his write up on OSC is hilarious. If you haven't read it, I recommened hop over there and check it out. :lol:

Sometimes I find myself have to be in a certain mood to listen to One Step Closer, but it is a great song. I think Bono's vocal delivery is amazing, and the lyrics and the meaning of them make it a beautiful track.

I think it might annoy some people, but the way it builds up at the end and doesnt really go anywhere is awesome.

:up: one step closer

OSC suffers from ISHFWILF syndrome. What I mean by that is ISHFWILF is a slower song which never increases it's tempo or goes "balls" out at the end, it a simple, yet powerful song with a very catchy chorus. OSC is in the same vein without as catchy a chorus. So while it is a gorgeous song it fails to deliver the same punch that I Still Haven't... did.

That said it is definitely one of my favorite songs, and like U2Girl, I think it is THE hidden gem on the album.

"I'm hanging out to dry with my old clothes,
finger still red from the prick of an old rose."

love the way he sings that line

madonna's child said:
OSC is pretty, but a little on the boring side.

@U2's Answer Guy reviewed all the songs on HTDAAB, and his write up on OSC is hilarious. If you haven't read it, I recommened hop over there and check it out. :lol:

Hey, can you point me in the direction of that article? I didn't see anything on the main page that looked like the right place to go.

thanks

laz

I also love "One Step Closer." Generally, any time they take the effort to get some decent atmospherics out of Edge's guitar, it ends up pretty good. Love the lyrics and the delivery too.
lazarus said:
Hey, can you point me in the direction of that article? I didn't see anything on the main page that looked like the right place to go.
http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=3673

OSC invokes an atmosphere that is similar to Running to Stand Still. It is so powerful and yet so very naked at the same time. This album may have the best second half of any u2 album to date. OSC + OOTS + Y + FC = :drool:

Roland of Gilead said:
OSC invokes an atmosphere that is similar to Running to Stand Still. It is so powerful and yet so very naked at the same time. This album may have the best second half of any u2 album to date. OSC + OOTS + Y + FC = :drool:

No, no, no.

TTTYAATW + Ultraviolet + Acrobat + LIB = :drool:

"Hanging out to dry with my old clothes
finger still red with the prick of an old rose
well a heart that hurts is a heart that beats
can you hear the drummer slowing"

"cant move forward cant go back
cant see the future, its getting away from me
I just watch the taillights glowing"

This song has the best lyrics on the Album. Period.

I love this song and relate to it. But I'm a depressed person with a shitty life. I can see how you happy go lucky types might skip it.

Back
Top Bottom