One: rubbish?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Final Straw

The Fly
Sorry if this has been done already, I've been away. Anyway......

Anyone else think that Mary J Blige absolutely murders One in her version? I know the band have supported it and the guys are even in the video, but she absolutely murders it! IMO!

I din't like it at the oscars, i felt she just screamed through it and i don't like it on the record....rubbish. The song should be sang passionately but not screamed. The only good thing that comes ut of it is it shows how good the original is and how well Bono sang it. Of course, she was never gonna get near the original, but this version is just painful!!

Final Straw said:

it has been, a lot, and it never turns out well

I heard a snippet of it and didn't like it. So I won't listen to it anymore.

can i be the non-conformist and say i liked it? for one (no pun intended) it put "One" back on the radio after 13 years...its a re-imagination of the song, its got a little more soul (which we know bono likes) and edge is pounding at his hardest which sounds awesome. To work with u2 is a huge honor and they wouldnt work with anyone but the best, you can't really put down MJB's voice, she hits those high notes really well, not quite bono-opera but shes up there...at the Grammys i loved how bono was just leaning back rocking out, he was having fun with it, and being in the front of the hurricane when they played it at the hurricane benefit, it really took on new meaning for me.

Yeah more or less what europop said , People I only have again one thing to say , Edge is on fire in it . That's pretty good enough for me , it sounds like a great live version of it , edge is rocking , so is adam and larry . I don't care if the singer is good or bad , if she is from hip hop , couldn't care less , coz what I'm hearing is the band play , if it was only she and Bono then we could have a prob , but U2 is on it , so the day is saved , and so is One .

Now may u please close this thing , mods .

"One" was still on the radio before this collaboration. Not in heavy rotation, of course, but I still heard it.

:in before the igorant "sheep" comments:

I really like the version. I favor the origional, but I definitely appreciate the energy Mary puts into her music. She is a real talented person and it's awesome that U2 is still popular and noteworthy enough these days to get covered. I mean we don't hear any Cher covers or whatever (no offence Cher fans) so I'll take any artist attemtping a U2 song as a good sign! :up:

immitation is the highest form of flattery. Or is it a mockery? Just plain theft? One can rarely tell anymore :|

I don't ever listen to it--it's not exactly my style, but I'm not upset about the collaboration, either.

Final Straw said:

Anyone else think that Mary J Blige absolutely murders One in her version? I know the band have supported it and the guys are even in the video, but she absolutely murders it! IMO!

I din't like it at the oscars, i felt she just screamed through it and i don't like it on the record....rubbish. The song should be sang passionately but not screamed. The only good thing that comes ut of it is it shows how good the original is and how well Bono sang it. Of course, she was never gonna get near the original, but this version is just painful!!

Yeah I love this, a good discussion about the bloody awful version by Bilge (featuring Bono). My thread got closed but lets rip it to shreds again here. Yeah its crap and its U2 hitting all time lows by parading around with an R and B singer(or whatever) to get another number 1. Desperation indeed, I just hope that this crap doesn't get to number 1 as it would be an insult to the classic original which only made number 6 in the UK (I think). Having said that, who cares if it does get to number 1, its crap anyway! Its not even worth discussing!

Re: Re: Re: One: rubbish?????

BonoVoxSupastar said:

That's why you started a thread about it and are now in another thread about it?

Worthless...

I agree the song is worthless! Your right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom