One.Org Announcement on Yahoo - Yet No Bono Mention?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctorwho

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
My TARDIS - currently located in Valparaiso, IN
If you go here you will find a nice article on One.org. It lists all the celebrities that are currently helping out in this, including George Clooney, Matt Damon, Julia Roberts, Tom Brady and others.

However, we all know that Bono has talked to just about all of these people directly (Bono often mentioned meeting with Tom Brady at the MA shows last year). Brad Pitt has been photographed with Bono on this.

In other words, these celebrities, thanks in part to Bono, are now helping. In that aspect, I'm happy. For a while now Bono has felt a rock star supporting One.org was a bit silly - not to say an actor, a football player or other singers are better, but at least there are more names and faces supporting the cause.

Still, would any of these people be involved if not for Bono? Again, Bono talked to many directly. Clooney went on to say how he was very hesitant to support this until Bono and he talked.

So I can't help but wonder - why not mention others that got this group going? Why only mention the current big names?

Or am I just being silly?

My fear is that this will turn out to be something all the celebs jump on so that they "feel good" and "look good". But in reality, there was a lot of work involvedhere in getting these people on board. So, if one wants to add credence to this "show", why not mention Bono, U2 and others who launched this?

I could possibly be mistaken in what I'm about to say, but I'll give it a shot:

The new ONE ad shows people standing in a line, regular people as well as the celebrities mentioned the the article. At the end of the ad, it's revealed that they're standing in line at a voting booth.
Bono is not in the ad, and indeed, it wouldn't make much sense for an Irishman to be voting in an American election. As far as I know, everyone else in the ad (and mentioned in the article) are Americans. That probably explains why Bono isn't in the ad/mentioned in the article.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
I could possibly be mistaken in what I'm about to say, but I'll give it a shot:

The new ONE ad shows people standing in a line, regular people as well as the celebrities mentioned the the article. At the end of the ad, it's revealed that they're standing in line at a voting booth.
Bono is not in the ad, and indeed, it wouldn't make much sense for an Irishman to be voting in an American election. As far as I know, everyone else in the ad (and mentioned in the article) are Americans. That probably explains why Bono isn't in the ad/mentioned in the article.

I concur.

From the perspective of the U.S. vote, I concur - Bono shouldn't be there.

But my comment is why not have a quick statement that mentions how this ties into Bono's DATA and other organizations. I mean, isn't the whole idea of "One" taken from U2's song?

Ah, at least other faces are getting out there. I just hope it doesn't backfire and become this celeb feel-good event that the public revolts against.

The Disciple said:
I'm sure Bono feels relieved not having 2 b the center of this right now....
This was just my feeling, that it was a conscious decision of his for him *not* to be in the ad... maybe he's getting "sick of Bono" again, or perhaps, feel others might be tired of him in all these ONE ads. Just my opinion :shrug:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
bono's always stated that one day he hopes to hand off the work to someone else

That's what I thought too. He says this a lot, so I doubt he'd mind, especially with all the negative press he's getting these days.

Plus, while Bono/DATA are founding members/organization, I don't think they necessarily have to be credited every time. Just because he got the ball rolling doesn't mean he actually cares more than any of the other people involved or organizations that support ONE.

Last edited:
I don't doubt Bono is happy to pass this off to others. In fact, I'm VERY thrilled others are supporting this.

My question is the lack of recognition for Bono and especially others who started One.org. It seems that all the attention is on these new celebs, as if it's their idea.

Ah well... With every good there is bad. As this is for the greater good, some failure to properly acknowledge others is fine.

I see where you are coming from, but I think, as others stated above, that having Bono's face (and name) take a backseat is obviously deliberate. The fact that he is not front and center or even mentioned helps the issue to be seen as a universal issue and not just "Bono Bono Bono's issue." I think this is the same strategy they are using with the Red Gap ads, too.

I think it's awesome. Instead of wasting time on the One Campaign, now maybe Bono can spend more of his time with hookers and heroin. Rock 'n' Roll!

Or something.

I say that this is a turn in the right direction. It would be great for Bono to continue to do what he is doing with his activism... but not have to be in the limelight.

Bono has already gotten tons of recognition for his work. Time Co-Person of the Year anyone? Several nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize?

It's not like he's been repeatedly snubbed and ignored.

Maybe he thinks he's in danger of looking like a glory hog and is letting others be in the spotlight for a change.

doctorwho said:

My question is the lack of recognition for Bono and especially others who started One.org. It seems that all the attention is on these new celebs, as if it's their idea.

I see what you're saying, but is this realistic? I'm thinking of other orgs that are important to me, namely the CRWRC (the branch of my church denomination that does social justice/development projects). I couldn't tell you who founded the organization originally and the only reason I know the director's name is b/c my friend dates his son, but I've always supported their work and am proud to be a member. I think that in general people have short attention spans for media attention towards these types of organizations. It's more important to get the messages out there than spend time giving credit, even if it's where credit is due.

Believe me, Bono has the final say on all of this. He's the idea man, right? It was probably his idea to have it done this way.

Plus, part of his reasoning for this may be that if people just keep seeing him with everything (Red, One and Data), they may not take the organizations seriously. He probably believes the One campaign is at a point where it can stand on its own legs, without him involved. Also, to show other people, celebs and whomever without him in the commercial, raises the value of it. It appears as if it's taken off.

I think the primary reason for his omission on this one is, like other said, because he can't vote here.

Back
Top Bottom