One more mention of album in 2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
This is from Rolling Stone. I put the album note in bold.

Cool that U2 & Green Day banged out some Beatles for the hell of it. Not thrilled about "casual recording," though.

http://www.stage.rollingstone.com/n...for_a_new_orleans_benefit_song_play_superdome

U2, Green Day Unite
Bands cut a New Orleans benefit song, play Superdome
BRIAN HIATT
In February, the night before the Grammys, two of the biggest rock bands in the world sat down together for a long, boozy dinner at Hollywood's Chateau Marmont Hotel. As the seven members of U2 and Green Day ate and drank wine, they tossed around the idea of making some music together. "We just felt that these were some great people -- the way their values were wired was so similar to ours," says U2 guitarist the Edge. "We resolved to keep an open mind about things that we might do together that have some kind of significance."
Seven months later, they found a project. In the second week of September, Green Day and U2 came together again, in Studio Two of London's Abbey Road studio -- the Beatles' preferred room -- and worked up a cover of "The Saints Are Coming," a rousing 1978 tune by Scottish punk rockers the Skids. The song will likely be released as a benefit single for the rebuilding of New Orleans, and the two bands will debut it live on September 25th at the reopening of New Orleans' Superdome, before local NFL team the Saints' first home game since Hurricane Katrina. The two bands will be joined by New Orleans musicians, and the Edge will also play with Green Day on one of their own songs. The performance will be broadcast on ESPN and streamed on Rhapsody. "If there's any statement, it's us showing up and wanting to support the city," says the Edge, who arranged the collaboration as the latest venture of Music Rising, the New Orleans-focused charity he started with producer Bob Ezrin. "It's about rebirth and the future and things coming back to normal."

Each of the two bands had already been working in the studio on its own: Green Day are writing songs for a follow-up to American Idiot, and U2 had been writing and doing some casual recording for a studio album likely to come out next year. U2 have been working with producer Rick Rubin, who also came along for the session with Green Day.

The sessions took place over three days. "It was almost a punk-rock recording in a lot of ways," says Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong. "There was a lot of talking about who was going to play what, and then we just pretty much banged it out.

"To be sitting there in the studio with U2 and talking on a creative level was something you wouldn't imagine in your wildest dreams," he adds. The two bands worked up an arrangement in which both drummers and bassists played at once, while Armstrong shared lead vocals with Bono and guitar parts with the Edge. Along the way, they also fooled around with other material. "We started playing Buzzcocks songs and a little bit of Stiff Little Fingers and, because it was Abbey Road, some Beatles songs, too," says Armstrong. "Some of it sounded god-awful, and some of it was pretty good."

There was time for a few laughs, too: "Bono sent my wife a dirty e-mail -- that was kind of funny," says Armstrong, who adds that the sessions sparked a friendship. "If anything, we can sit around and have a couple of pints."

rolling stone also said u2 would be releasing a greatest hits cd this year

i wouldnt put too much stock into what they say

Chizip said:

There is a talk about a Greatest Hits cd, when I talked to Universal last(some weeks ago). But it wnet canceld.

Galeongirl said:
why a greatest hits? why not wait four more years for a best of 00-10?

They'd have to make an 07 album, and then a 2010 album just to have enough material to fill a best of 2000-2010. As it currently stands, here's what's been release to be on a greatest hits 00-10.

DISC ONE:
Elevation
Walk On
Kite (not a single, but will probably be on there)
Vertigo
City of blinding lights
All because of you
Original of the species
Sometimes you can't make it on your own

- Maybe "In a little while" if they want another ATYCLB song. Although "Electrical Storm" was a slightly popular single in 2002, it was already on the best of 1990-2000. Maybe "The Saints are coming" as well?

These are current b-sides elligible for a best of 00-10 disc 2. Keep in mind I said elligible, not preferable.

DISC TWO (b-sides):
Always
Big Girls are best
Don't take your guns to town
Are you gonna wait forever
Neon Lights
Ave Marie
Fast Cars (questionable status as to where this belongs)
Sometimes you can't make it (acoustic)

These four songs should've been b-sides, because I think a broader audience should hear them than those who bought the complete U2 on itunes.

Levitate
Love you like mad
Smile
Flower Child

Peterrrrr said:

A greatest hits for all years is what they said on Universal.

A Career's Greatest Hits + Autobiography (U2 by U2) = end of career.

I'd rather not see that happen, so let's forget about a greatest greatest hits...:huh:

U2 MUST RELEASE THE REST OF THE BEST FOR GOD SAKE !!!!! :scream:

Many of their most emblematic and greatest compositions were left out both from Best of 1980-1990 and "Best" of 1990-2000, including the originals screwed up by the unforgivable "New Mixes".

Another GREAT release could be a 3 or 4 CD's Box Set Singles and Promos Collection :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I don't see any point in releasing any "best of" from 2000 onwards in 2007 or 2008, because there's a serious lack of stuff from the era. :|
On the contrary, there's so much stuff from the 80's and 90's still waiting to be released (Out Of Control, Gloria, Running To Stand Still, Bullet The Blue Sky, Lemon, One Tree Hill, God Part II, "40", A Sort Of Homecoming, In God's Country, Fire, A Celebration, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, The Fly, A Day Without Me, Wire ... single versions from Pop, Radio edit tracks like Zoo Station or Zooropa, Promo Remixes like Desire Hollywood Remix, live cuts from Digital Box Set and promos like R&H Promo, Popheart, Hasta La Vista Baby, etc, etc)

ponkine said:
U2 MUST RELEASE THE REST OF THE BEST FOR GOD SAKE !!!!! :scream:

Many of their most emblematic and greatest compositions were left out both from Best of 1980-1990 and "Best" of 1990-2000, including the originals screwed up by the unforgivable "New Mixes".

But we all have all those songs already. Why bother making a compilation of them all? The average joe doesn't care about A Celebration; he's happy he got Streets and Sunday Bloody Sunday on the same Best Of album. Nuts like us like the "forgotten hits," but we don't need a compilation. In fact, I never bought the first two Best Ofs---what's the point? :shrug:

Utoo said:

But we all have all those songs already. Why bother making a compilation of them all? The average joe doesn't care about A Celebration; he's happy he got Streets and Sunday Bloody Sunday on the same Best Of album. Nuts like us like the "forgotten hits," but we don't need a compilation. In fact, I never bought the first two Best Ofs---what's the point? :shrug:

EXACTLY!!!

Utoo said:

Quoted for truth!

Utoo said:

In fact, I never bought the first two Best Ofs---what's the point? :shrug:

I wouldn't have bought the first Best of if it wasn't for the B-sides disc, and the second one because it's nice it has Your blue room and Miss Sarajevo and HMTMKMKM next to all the other material, plus ES and Hands and the B-sides and certain remixes.

That said, I don't think we'll be getting any Best of the rest from either 80's or 90's. More likely a 2000 -20?? Best of, or maybe a Live best of.

Chizip said:

CRYSTAL-BALL.jpg

Oh, Great Chizip, Predictor of the Future! Have more faith in your visions, my friend!

:lol:

Well, here's to a REAL new album in 2007. I believe we'll see it more than ever now. Honest.

Utoo said:

Yeah, I can agree with this. And you are right. The average joe get happy with WOWY and he doesn't give a f*** if he don't have THBAO.

But, there are fans or even just appreciators of the band, that have asked "Where is that song?". People I know, that aren't fans asked me why weren't there that song they knew. Songs like Lemon, Wild Horses, IGWSHA, Bullet The Blue Sky, etc...

Chizip said:

Actually, @u2 is reporting that they are doing this. "Saints" will be one of the new songs. They're saying it'll be out Nov. 20 or so.

if it weren't so disappointing, this thread would almost be funny in hindsight

right now i don't know whether to laugh or cry so i'll do both
:lmao:
:sad:

Zoocoustic said:
This thread shows exactly how little we all really know.

Very hilarious in retrospect...

Yeah, it is funny looking back----and it was only created a few days ago! :wink:

Let's hope that Rolling Stone's other little tidbit, the whole reason I started this thread:

U2 had been writing and doing some casual recording for a studio album likely to come out next year

will turn out to be as true as its note on a greatest hits album...!

Back
Top Bottom