“One” greatest record?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My favorite U2 songs in no particular order: (and a great mix ep):

Luminous Times
With or Without You
Gone
The Fly
Original of the Species
Exit

Last edited:
One deserves the title as most over-rated U2 song ever. :yawn:

Where The Streets Have No Name is heavenly and perfect. Though in a live sense, Bad is superior.

With or Without You is my personal favorite......love the lyrics and bonos voice is great especially during his scream at the end.......i dunno but imo its their best song

Aardvark747 said:
This was the top 10 from this Mag...

1. U2 - One
2. Aretha Franklin - I Say a Little Prayer
3. Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
4. The Beatles - A Day in the Life
5. Elvis Presley - In the Ghetto
6. Eminem - My Name Is
7. Radiohead - Creep
8. Destiny's Child - Independent Women
9. Oasis - Live Forever
10. Ike and Tina Turner - River Deep Mountain High

What the fuck? Did someone hit the "shuffle" option on their iPod and declare the first ten songs to be the greatest ever recorded?

That said, I do think One is the greatest record. Streets is a very close second, but it's gotta be One for me. The power of the song is that it can be both very personal and very universal...U2 has a knack for achieving that, which can be difficult.

Well, it sure was GREAT as 'One' was the song U2 played on that
"Shelter From The Storm: A Concert For The Gulf Coast" tribute program
that was on earlier tonight. :applaud:

Was there any doubt that U2 would choose that song to be played ?? :wink:

I think One is great in terms of how everything just came together in the studio, and how it pretty much got U2 back into the swing of things during Achtung Baby so they didn't break up. But I don't think it is the greatest ever recorded...for that I'd probably go for WTSHNN, WOWY, Pride or Bad.

Badyouken said:

How are they musically similar?

I love both songs but I don't see any obvious similarity between the two.

You know the more I think about it I overestimated the similarity between the two because it basically comes down to "they use most of the same chords"...which really isn't the grounds for much, now, is it?

Bowie,Dylan,Springsteen,The Who,The Stones,Lou Reed,Kate Bush,The Clash,The Pistols,Madonna,Kraftwerk,Roxy Music,Neil Young,Blondie,Elton John,Rod Stewart,The Kinks,The Beach Boys,Guns'n'Roses,Led Zeppelin,Cream,Morrissey,The Smiths,The Stone Roses,Marvyn Gaye,early Genesis,Fleetwood Mac,The Eagles,Steely Dan,non of these artists wrote/sang a song to compare with My name is?or Independant women?
Is it me or is music press so desperate nowadays to have a current genius/supergroup they pin the tag onto just about any artist who has success on both sides of the atlantic, currently Coldplay are the latest to be labelled as the greatest ever, but just look at the artists I mentioned above, think of their greatest efforts, along with The Beatles, Elvis, & U2, and do Eminem, Destinys Child, & Coldplay really deserve to be mentioned in the same breath.
The only time I've heard an Eminem track I've remotely liked is when he's "sampled" another artists music

I will defend Eminem and 'My Name Is' to the death. It's extremely cleverly written. Maybe not one of the best songs ever, not even Em's best song, but it is not rubbish.

The list was extremely poorly structured anyway; in the sense they'd ask someone like Alison Goldfrapp what her five favourite songs were and number it 810-806 or something.

Edit: Oh yeah and this was two years ago.

Back
Top Bottom