ONE DAY WE'LL LOOK BACK AND SEE WHERE WE WERE HELD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spanisheyes

Forum Moderator, The Goal Is Soul
Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, and Berlin
Last night as I had the privilege of purchacing tickets to U2's last show of the Elevation Tour in Las Vegas, I was flooded with rememberance of so many tour stories from fans in the past who have had similar experiences, some of those experiences even included listening to a U2 song, or album and being moved to tears, overwhelmed by the emotion in Bono's voice, or the Edge's guitar, but at the same time with no one to share it with, having to endure these emotions alone, in solitude. These moments were like a secret, very personal, so pure and so true...but only in the heart and mind they stayed for so many years. At the same time, I was reminded of this quote from "A Grand Madness: 10 years on the Road with U2" that put it all in perspective for me.

"...I'd been a fan of their music for fourteen years prior to Popmart and felt deeply connected to their music. But it was a connection experienced in solitude and I was completely unaware of all the adventures being a fan could bring. Then in the mid-90's came a revolution, one that made being a part of a community of fans, meeting one's inspiration, and experiencing the touring fan life more accessible than ever--the development of international communities of fans in cyberspace. Hooking up that new computer brought me in touch with others who saw the power in U2's music, I now had an outlet to express out loud what U2's music meant to me, and people who would hear it and know exactly what I meant. And after all these years, I had a lot to say.

It also brought me more in touch with the men behind that music, the tales others spun about their close encounters of the U2 kind, about the band's accessibility, their graciousness. And a few extraordinary tales of how this band went far out of their way to help others. Things you don't read about in the press, things they don't want you to read, just quietly giving back to the fans who've supported themn over the years. Here were other fans who had made an even deeper connection, and yet they weren't groupies or in the industry. They were just like me. I came to learn that everything I knew was wrong and that anything was possible."

I don't know if I have a lot to say, but I do know that now anything is possible. As a fan of U2 for 21 years, I have known what it is like to go at it alone, but yet with as much passion and pride for a band that has given their fans so much these last 20 plus years, that it was okay. In 1997, the internet truly did tranform fans on the Popmart tour to places, experiences, and sounds that U2 were playing at all over the world, from opening night in flashy Las Vegas, to the war torn country of Sarajevo, to South Africa with it's apartheid abolished, to the Mothers of the Disappeared in Chile. Most importanly, we heard from the fans, and their reactions were so moving that we felt as if we were there, as if we truly were a part of the U2 international community, no longer alone.

Many of us now have this tremendous privilege of sharing our U2 experience with these fans from all over the world. Interference has been one of those special places to do that, and I know that many of us are so thankful for finding a place like this, but more importanly, finding fans who share in the same passion that all of us do for U2, and who we now can share our feelings about their albums, past and present tours, and just the day in and day out presence of U2's music in our lives.

I've had the special privilege of meeting fans from all over the world as well...people like Maria from Brazil, Rosa from Dublin, Camilo and Mariana from California, Bethany from Minnesota, Judy from Boston, Gloria from The Netherlands, Jason from Florida, Jennifer from Louisiana, and Laura from Tennessee. I apologize for leaving many of you out, but the point I'm trying to make is now we all have names, faces, persons to share our love for U2 with in this internet community and Interference. Thanks to all of you in this forum who have contributed to making my U2 experience that much more richer. Truly, we will never have to go at it alone...truly we get to carry each other, truly we are One.

"One day I'll look back and see where I was held; how by this love while I could stand there, I could move on this moment, follow this feeling."

Chris

[This message has been edited by spanisheyes (edited 09-22-2001).]

Chris,

I know you have already read this article, but maybe some people here haven?t. I think that Bill Flanagan really expressed perfetcly what is this community sense we have shared, in the paragraphs bellow, they are from his introduction to the book U2 The Complete Songs. I remember that Bethany posted this text here once.

"U2's concerts are celebrations, but they are celebrations that begin in intimacy. It is when you listen alone to "One" or "Running To Stand Still" or "Wake Up Dead Man" that the music gets under your skin and into your blood. You're lying on your bed in the dark, or you're driving a long distance, or you're on the street, isolated in your Walkman when the music really hits you, when the song finds the words you've felt but been unable to speak. The real soul connection is made one-to-one.

At its best, you feel that you've found in the music a voice like your own. It is not a voice you share with your family, your friends, the people you work with. It feels closer than that, and at the same time like it's coming from some place you've never seen. It feels like a secret. Sometimes you feel like you're the only one who really hears the song, like it was written just for you.

Then you go to a concert and -- what a wonder -- there are thousands of other people who are in on the secret. Thousands of other people have had the same private experience and feel the same way you do. That's why U2 concerts are so celebratory; it's the sound of twenty thousand people realizing at the same time that they are not alone. Bono has talked about that contradiction -- he calls it putting private thoughts on a public address system. It's the most powerful, and probably the most valuable, thing a songwriter can do. It is the creation of a community."

I?m so glad I have met you and so many other fans who feels the same, with the facilities of internet. A good part of my free time nowadays is dedicated to share this feeling and all the info about the band I can put my eyes on. It is no more a solitary love. And I know I?m not a freak, I mean, maybe I am...but I?m not alone
wink.gif

Well people, I don?t know why the link shows up that way here... I tried to fix it twice, it doesn?t work.

But you can go to @U2 site, then select News, then Miscellaneous/News Info and year 1999...it?s the last link

Sorry.

[This message has been edited by follower (edited 09-22-2001).]

follower, thanks so much for posting the link! I've been looking for that.. now it is bookmarked

Originally posted by U2LA:
I was just trying to see what the deal was with links or if it was just certain sites...

My thoughts precisely Camilo...
wink.gif

On the topic, sometimes I try to remember how was my life, as a U2 fan, before the advent of internet, especifically when it comes to info about the band...and you know what? All I can remember is the long waiting to buy imported magazines, it was all I could have access at that time...some of them only were found here months after their release in US or UK...tough times...an no one to share all the excitement...now it's much better, LOL

I remember back in 1984 when standing in line at Long Beach Arena to pick up tickets for U2's Unforgettable Fire tour...I hazily remember talking with a few fans, but we really didn't have much to say about the band, for we didn't have much to go on. All we had was the music, ah the music, and maybe a few magazine articles, but that was about it. High moments for a fan would be queuing in line for The Joshua Tree when they released it at midnight (first time I remember that ever happening, as well as their other albums after), or the tours, but those were 3 years apart most of the time, and the occasional magazine, such as Rolling Stone, or Musician, when U2 would be on the cover, and you got a little more glimpse into the band.

Fast forward, the present, what a difference we find. I turn on my computer and there is instant news about the band, instant downloads of their performances in concert or television. What a great time to be a fan; however, I would throw caution to the wind for all of us to not get to the point where we lose the appreciation and respect for the band as individuals. Maybe I'm just speaking to myself, I guess I have to remember to take care of the secret, and not let it get tossed in the mud...keep your head out of the mud baby, put flowers in the mud baby.

Chris

Originally posted by U2LA:
http://www.u2la.com

testing 1 2 3

I was just trying to see what the deal was with links or if it was just certain sites...
www.u2la.com

[This message has been edited by U2LA (edited 09-22-2001).]

LMAO Camilo - I did the same thing on another thread!
wink.gif

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

Back
Top Bottom