once and for all: ATYCLB on best of or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOFO

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
does anyone know for sure????:eeklaugh:

I need proof and confirmation please.:wink: :mac:

are you offering a reward? This is a BIG mystery. Many conflicting reports. Anyone have an inside source? How about a propaganda contact? Moderators???

Help

U2 has NOT released a track listing as of now, to my certain knowledge.

Once any of us knows, the rest of you will know.

i hope not , cause 1990-2000 it's a very different alternative U2 of 90's , ATYCLB is album from next " timeline " , but cause of commercial , money stuff , i'm afraid it will be included .

womanfish said:
are you offering a reward? This is a BIG mystery. Many conflicting reports. Anyone have an inside source? How about a propaganda contact? Moderators???

Help

yes...reward...yes.
if you're a woman, you get to go out on a date with me.
if you're a man, you can go out on a date with someone else.:yes:
sounds fair to me.

I'm still hoping that ATYCLB doesn't put it's Grammy winning foot on the new compilation. Of course, to me, all signs are pointing towards it showing up on the new Best Of..........

Personally, I don't think so. Maybe this is just because I hope not. It doesn't go with Pop, AB, Zooropa or the soundtrack songs. Of course "politics" or whatever could be involved and there would be ATYCLB songs on it for sales figures reasons or whatever. I personally think that this would be a mistake.

It shouldn't, but it probably will

Most of the reports some from the last four albums, and also state Passengers as a seperate project.

The subheader on the VH1 report says from Achtung Baby to All That You Can't Leave Behind.

ATYCLB was released in 2000, the singles came later, true.

There are a lot of grrrrreat tracks from the 90s, but far less hits.

I think it might work with the ATYCLB tracks. Let them be the light at the end of the very dark tunnel that was the 90s trilogy.

UnforgettableLemon said:
It shouldn't, but it probably will

That's about how I see it. All signs point toward it being included, however.. I really don't think it should be.. for various reasons (and I know most people here agree with me). But oh well what can ya do?

UnforgettableLemon said:
Skeek, I must say that your avatar is the single coolest one I've ever seen.

Unfortunately my drama teacher wasn't of a similar mind when I tried to use that on the posters advertising our drama show.

ATYCLB

Of course the songs from ATYCLB will be on it. Paul McGuiness already said they would be and their stupid if they didn't!!!!!

gherman, i would like to know when and where Paul M. said that ATYCLB singles would be on the best of...? and Please tell me why it would be stupid NOT to have them on there. I think it would be stupid of them to HAVE them on there. Interested in your view, and if Paul actually said this recently and we can see it in writing or hear it in an audio clip then we can put the mystery to rest.

Last edited:
Hey, I haven't seen *any* quotes from Paul McGuinness or anyone else from Principle, not even a "spokesperson". Without any official word I'd hesitate to assume anything either is or isn't going to be on this compilation. It would be thematically weird, to say the least, to have AB and ATYCLB on the same album.

Artistically, I don't think the ATYCLB stuff should be on the Best of. ATYCLB is the start of another period for U2 IMHO. I was really hoping they would just focus the 90's material, have faith in those songs, and reintroduce the material that deserves to stand on it's own. A pure 90's best of could really show the audience who discovered & rediscovered U2 with ATYCLB how great and daring some of that material is. I think it sounds as contemporary today as when it was 1st released. Unfortunately, I don't think it will happen though. Here's why....

ATYCLB received so much airplay, and still does, that I'm sure people who DON'T own the album know tunes like Beautiful Day and Walk On. These are listeners who probably just want the hits. I think they would feel dissapointed if they saw a new U2 Best of and Beautiful Day was not on there. Remember, when the 1st best of came out, the 80's U2 material was only stuff that really got airplay, save for One & Mysterious Ways. It's still pretty much the same today except they play they play the ATYCLB songs as well. There were not to many radio hits in the US in the 90's. The 1st Best of was all radio hits. That's what "radio" fans are going to be looking for. All of us here are going to be buying this album for the new songs and B-sides.

If the album is going to have 2 new songs, wouldn't it be strange to jump from POP songs in 1997 to new songs in 2002 and no bridge between? I'm sure they will wan't some sort of continuity. Also, the ATYCLB album is from 2000. Hence, 1990-2000.

I'd bet on the most mainstream 90's songs as well, and would not be surprised if more challenging songs like The Fly & Discotheque are left off, only if 2000 stuff is NOT included. I hope it is pure 90's best of, but my guess is it will look something like this....

1 Even Better Than....
2 One
3 Mysterious Ways
4 Until The End.... (Big radio song, fan fave, sdtk. song)
5 Lemon (Edit)
6 Stay
7 Miss Sarejevo
8 Staring At The Sun
9 Last Night On Earth (Single Version)
10 If God Will Send (Single Version-Also from City Of Angels Sdtk which was a big hit)
11 The Ground Beneath Her Feet (My guess as second single/It would be nice to see this song be rediscovered)
12 Beautiful Day
13 Stuck (Single Edit)
14 Elevation (Tomb Raider)
15 Walk On (Single Version)
16 The Hands That Built America (Either this or a different new song...I hope!)
17 NEW SONG (1st single)

Oh. It would be nice to see Your Blue Room or Stateless as a hidden bonus track, but I doubt it. I would be surprised if there was any bonus tracks considering the album is supposed to be 17 tracks. Your Blue Room may end up on the B-sides disc since it was on the Staring At The Sun single. That would be nice. Hopefully Night & Day will be too. :yes:

I like your posts on this subject a lot Hawkmoon1021

I think if there will be a hidden track "The First Time" has a good chance

Hawkmoon2101, I agree with you. I don't think ATYCLB should be on this compilation. It doesn't mix with Pop, Zooropa, or AB. AB was very successful, Zooropa and Pop less so, but still, there are some really strong songs. The record company will probably want the hits, though, so probably ATYCLB will pop up--oops, no pun intended--on this release.

verte76 said:
Hawkmoon2101, I agree with you. I don't think ATYCLB should be on this compilation. It doesn't mix with Pop, Zooropa, or AB. AB was very successful, Zooropa and Pop less so, but still, there are some really strong songs. The record company will probably want the hits, though, so probably ATYCLB will pop up--oops, no pun intended--on this release.

Oops! I goofed! I screwed up your name!! Horrors!!

Is this album meant to fulfill a purpose--documenting the group's nineties odyssey--or just sell by the bucketload? Of course the record company wants the latter (which is why quotes from anyone but the bandmembers are worthless), but the band is still in control, and how many millions do you really need? Do you really think the band is afraid of releasing a compilation and disappointing casual fans who don't hear that one song they heard on the radio, or do you think they'd rather introduce them to the last decade's work?

typhoon said:
Do you really think the band is afraid of releasing a compilation and disappointing casual fans who don't hear that one song they heard on the radio, or do you think they'd rather introduce them to the last decade's work?

The second thing! :up:

typhoon said:
Is this album meant to fulfill a purpose--documenting the group's nineties odyssey--or just sell by the bucketload? Of course the record company wants the latter (which is why quotes from anyone but the bandmembers are worthless), but the band is still in control, and how many millions do you really need? Do you really think the band is afraid of releasing a compilation and disappointing casual fans who don't hear that one song they heard on the radio, or do you think they'd rather introduce them to the last decade's work?

They'd rather introduce them to the last decade's work. That's AB, Zooropa, and Pop. Zooropa is, IMHO, U2's most adventurous, really avante-garde style work. Attitude-wise--but not really style-wise--it's an "extension" of AB. "Pop", attitude-wise, is an extension of "Zooropa", but not style-wise. Attitude-wise, ATYCLB is a complete break into something else....different, simpler, but more evocative. It's too different to be included in this compilation, and you're right, it's *their* record, I don't give a damn if their "boss" is Universal. Some guy at the label has already opened their fat trap about sales figures. I somehow don't think that's come up in the studio.

I would say that much like the 80's best of the purpose of this one is probably to sell a lot of copies

the only excuse the 80's best of has is that most of the songs on there are signature U2 hits, so it would have been hard not to include them
it also didn't do any justice to what U2 achieved in that decade though

I don't think the 90's best of (even though it can't be filled with hit singles since there aren't enough of them) will be much different

I agree with Salome & Skeek. I think they are going for the biggest sales possible with the 90's best of, rather than making an artistic statement. They should have really called the Best of's what they actually are, Greatest Hits, since album tracks are not on the Best of. I know Bad was, but that was a big radio tune and kind of like a single since it was the big track from the Wide Awake EP.

I still have my fingers crossed for a pure 90's set, but I don't know how they would fit 2 new tunes in the context of that. Oh well. At least the ATYCLB stuff will probably be different versions from the album save for Beautiful Day. That will be nice for people who didn't get the import singles. It should also be interesting to see what B-sides they include since there will be so many with the ATYCLB singles. Here's my guess...

Lady With The Spinning Head
Satellite Of Love
Night And Day
Salome
Paint It Black
Fortunate Son
Where Did It All Go Wrong
Holy Joe
North & South Of The River
I'm Not Your Baby
Your Blue Room
Two Shots Of Happy
Happiness Is A Warm Gun
Big Girls Are Best
Always
Summer Rain

Hawkmoon1021 said:

I'd bet on the most mainstream 90's songs as well, and would not be surprised if more challenging songs like The Fly & Discotheque are left off, only if 2000 stuff is NOT included. I hope it is pure 90's best of, but my guess is it will look something like this....

1 Even Better Than....
2 One
3 Mysterious Ways
4 Until The End.... (Big radio song, fan fave, sdtk. song)
5 Lemon (Edit)
6 Stay
7 Miss Sarejevo
8 Staring At The Sun
9 Last Night On Earth (Single Version)
10 If God Will Send (Single Version-Also from City Of Angels Sdtk which was a big hit)
11 The Ground Beneath Her Feet (My guess as second single/It would be nice to see this song be rediscovered)
12 Beautiful Day
13 Stuck (Single Edit)
14 Elevation (Tomb Raider)
15 Walk On (Single Version)
16 The Hands That Built America (Either this or a different new song...I hope!)
17 NEW SONG (1st single)

Whoops, I forgot Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me! It's hard to know what it would replace though. My guess is either If God Will Send, Last Night, or Until The End. Man, they should really just stick to the 90's. There is too much missing! :no:

More than Enough...

Salome said:
I don't think the 90's best of (even though it can't be filled with hit singles since there aren't enough of them) will be much different

U2 or U2-related 90's Hit Singles:

Song Title: U.K. Ranking/U.S. Ranking/Canadian Ranking

(X = did not chart; ? = unknown charting; a dash "-" = format was unable to chart or song was not released in the country; other countries are listed in parentheses)
  • The Fly: 1/61/3 (#1 in Australia)
  • Mysterious Ways: 13/9/4
  • One: 7/10/3
  • Until the End of the World: ?/15 (U.S. Modern Rock charts)/?
  • Even Better Than the Real Thing: 12/32/45 (Canadian re-release in 1997)
  • Even Better Than the Real Thing - remixes: 8/X/?
  • Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses: 14/35/26 (Canadian re-release in 1997)
  • Numb: -/-/-
  • Lemon: -/-/- (this song reached #1 on the Australian charts and hit #1 on the U.S. dance charts)
  • Stay: 4/61/X
  • In the Name of the Father by Gavin Friday and Bono: 46/X/?
  • You Made Me Theif of Your Heart by Sinead O'Connor (written by Bono and Gavin Friday): 42/X/?
  • Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me: 2/16/11 (#1 in Australia)
  • Miss Sarajevo: 6/X/?
  • Goldeneye by Tina Turner, written by Bono and Edge: 10/X/?
  • Mission Impossible remade by Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr.: 7/7/17
  • Discotheque: 1/10/1
  • Staring at the Sun: 3/26/2
  • Last Night on Earth: 10/57/4
  • Please: 7/9 (charted on the U.S. Maxi-Single Dance Charts)/10
  • POPHeart EP: 7 (charted as ?Please?)/-/4
  • If God Will Send His Angels: 12/?/?
  • The Sweetest Thing: 3/63 (#9 on Modern Rock charts)/1 in sales, #4 in airplay

Total Hits:

"The Sweetest Thing" will be excluded as this was on the first "Best Of" series and cannot be featured again.

U2: 15 possible hit songs
U2-related hits: 5 possible hit songs

Conclusion: U2 have more than enough hits in the 90's to create a 17-track "Best Of" CD.

In addition...

U2 or U2-related 00's Hit Singles:
  • The Ground Beneath Her Feet: ?/20 (U.S. Modern Rock Charts)/?
  • Beautiful Day: 1/21(this song reached #1 on the U.S. Dance Charts)/1 in sales, #5 in airplay (#1 in Australia and in Ireland)
  • Stuck in a Moment You Can?t Get Out Of: 2/52 (#9 on the Adult Rock Charts)/1 in sales, #4 in airplay (#3 in Australia, #1 in Ireland)
  • Walk On: 5/#10 (on U.S. Modern Rock charts)/1 (#9 in Australia)
  • Elevation: 3/#9 (on the U.S. Modern Rock chart. #17 on the U.S Dance charts/1 (#6 in Australia)
  • When The Stars Go Blue, The Corrs Featuring Bono: ?/20 (on U.S. Adult Top 40 charts)/?

Last edited:
I wonder if the upcoming Best Of will be called 1990-2002, since it will include 2 new tunes, or 1991-2002 if Night & Day is not included. My guess is that it would probably be better to have 2002 in the title as a marking tool. It will really show the set as up to date.

Another thing I was thinking of is, it probably doesn't really matter if ATYCLB material is included on the new Best Of. I would still rather see the straight 90's Best Of, but is ATYCLB a bigger departure from AB, Zooropa & POP, than Boy, October & War from UF & The Joshua Tree? The Unforgettable Fire was a start of a new period for U2 at the time, at least sonically. Isn't the same with ATYCLB?

Lastly, as far as including ATYCLB material on the new Best Of, I can't see how they wouldn't. They could have easily put out a 5th single and video around the time of the Grammies to give ATYCLB a bit more juice, but instead they decided to let it drop off. I was shocked. I think another single at that time could have held the album high in the charts throughout the summer. Could it be they knew some of the ATYCLB tracks were going to be reissued 9 months later and didn't want to overlap them so close? Just thinking out loud....

Back
Top Bottom