Once and for all! (80's U2 vs. 90's U2 vs. 00's U2)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which is your favorite U2 decade?

• 80's (Boy to Rattle and Hum)

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • 90's (Achtung Baby to Pop)

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • 00's (All That You Can't Leave Behind to umm......something.....)

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Don't Make Me Choose!

Votes: 12 15.6%

• Total voters

BigMacPhisto

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Bah. There's been too much pointless debacle around here about which decade was the band's best, so I've decided to make matters worse, wait a minute........

Anyway, the whole purpose of this poll is to see just which of the three eras is the most well received here at this forum.

AB is my fav U2 album, but the 80s were the years of my childhood - and U2 meant a lot to me then, especially from 1987 on.

They were the right band at the right time then - they were doing music that nobody else was and it was so fresh and passionate - and positive - that it meant a lot.

The early 90s were good years for rock music, so while AB was awesome and Zooropa was great too - there was a lot of other great music being made (especially in Seattle, where I am from!), so I wasn't as fixated on U2.

No question the 90's are going to win because AB is almost everbody's favorite album. No need to even bother with the results. It's going to be a landslide. I bet people who don't even like Pop and Zooropa will vote for the 90's because AB was so great. Even though AB is my favorite album, I voted against the 90's, because I'm a rebel! Fuck the mainstream!

Despite my love affair with Achtung, Baby, I had to go with 80's U2. I think there work on Boy, War, The Unforgettable Fire, and The Joshua Tree outweigh the negative aspects of the decade.

90's

80's and 90's U2 are pretty evenly matched but it is POP that tips the balance in favor of 90's U2. 80's U2 never made a record as ambitious and gutsy as POP.

Cheers,

J
The King Of Pop

well, my top 3 U2 albums would still be:
1. The Unforgettable Fire
2. ATYCLB
3. Zooropa

I would choose the 80's any day though

Although Achtung Baby is one of my joint favourite U2 albums, I still have to choose 1980s because any decade which gave us The Joshua Tree, The Unforgettable Fire, War AND Rattle and Hum (I love it, sorry!) has to be the best.

80's. Granted, Achtung Baby is a great album (with reservations, for me), but the 80's material made me a fan though I became a major fan only in 1994, and it is that material that has kept me a fan, most of all. I love ATYCLB, but surely it's a bit early to tell for the 00's--that album hardly outweighs all the exquisite material they released in the 80's.

Bands will seldom admit it, but very often their best work is done when they're fairly young. Well, of course they won't admit it at least at the time--you can hardly expect them to say "we've never released anything as good since as that album we put out when we were young." But I think it tends to be true anyway.

Gypsy comes in to help out the 80's cause, for all the good it will do here:rolleyes: At least I love AB and ATYCLB. My husband won't listen to anything post R&H and I have a brother who thinks they peaked at War.

Last edited:
GypsyHeartgirl said:
I have a brother who thinks they peaked at War.

:yes: My brother, who played a large part in getting me interested in U2 at a fairly young age by buying JT when I was nine or ten--though he's never been a big big fan--is fairly sure that his favourite album is October!! Very interesting for a casual fan, I think. I think it has something to do with me buying that album at the end of my grade 11 year and playing it all that hot summer--apparently it sank in quite deeply with him.

Holy cow, it's a little bit shocking (to me) to see just how overwhelmingly this forum in general prefers 90's U2.

scatteroflight said:

:yes: My brother, who played a large part in getting me interested in U2 at a fairly young age by buying JT when I was nine or ten--though he's never been a big big fan--is fairly sure that his favourite album is October!! Very interesting for a casual fan, I think. I think it has something to do with me buying that album at the end of my grade 11 year and playing it all that hot summer--apparently it sank in quite deeply with him.

Holy cow, it's a little bit shocking (to me) to see just how overwhelmingly this forum in general prefers 90's U2.

:up: Wow! Someone whose favorite U2 album is October? How cool is that!

That being said, I think there are a few things to consider regarding the results of this poll...

1. The 90s are more recent, so maybe people identify with that period more (just guessing here).
2. AB was released in the 90s, and that is the favorite album of many fans.
3. This isn't a "battle" by any means...At least, it really shouldn't be. I love ANY and ALL U2, but I voted for 90s because of AB and POP.

Back
Top Bottom