On St. Patrick's Day I was wondering.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumn454

War Child
Why is it that U2, being Irish and proud of it, have never done any traditional Irish music? They also have never been in any St. Patrick's Day parades as far as I know, wouldn't they be perfect? I saw a Chieftans album advertised, with guest appearences by other Irish artists, even Sinead O'Connor, but no U2! Why? Do they dislike the Irish folklore and leprechaun stuff? What about traditional Irish cultural music, with all the 'sounds' they've explored they have never touched that, not even for just one show or event. Not even with the Corrs. They did some Irish stuff, but not U2. I'm not being rude, I don't care and their music is of course fine like it is and I am not into the Chieftans or anything, just wondering.

Have you heard their song "Wild Irish Rose"? That's a pretty celtic sounding tune. Check it out.

Also, if you check out the Chieftan's album "The Long Black Veil" you'll find that Bono sings on it. He and Mick Jagger sing on the title track (although Bono isn't credited in the liner notes because his voice is lost deep in the mix).

------------------
And I felt like a star...

Autumn, I read that Bob Dylan introduced the guys to their musical celtic roots - they didn't really know anything about Irish music, because they listened to rock. After Dylan told them to get back to their roots, they did, and got into more American music as well...I believe JT came out of all that musical searching...

I know Bono and Adam did an amazing revision of "Tomorrow" for a cut on the "Common Ground" CD which featured "the voices of modern Irish music."

Originally posted by Autumn454:
Why is it that U2, being Irish and proud of it, have never done any traditional Irish music? They also have never been in any St. Patrick's Day parades as far as I know, wouldn't they be perfect?

Thanks, that's interesting, I never knew any of that. Bob Dylan had to introduce them? LOL some Irish boys! But I don't blame them, I like rock better too. It's like Bob Hewson said in The Unforgettable Fire, if you're a "Dub" it's not the same as being from the Irish countryside. Thanks for all the info!

------------------
~Burned by the fire of love~

Originally posted by Discoteque:
I believe JT came out of all that musical searching...

I know Bono and Adam did an amazing revision of "Tomorrow" for a cut on the "Common Ground" CD which featured "the voices of modern Irish music."

I remember Bono mentioning in the JT docu about the album being American in sound, but very Irish in its ache and melancholy.
wink.gif

And thanks, Discotheque for the info about Common Ground. I never knew about it 'til now. Methinks I will get a copy.
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom