OMG. Did With or Without You just become my favorite U2 song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martha

Blue Crack Supplier
Orange County and all over the goddamn place
I'm listening to it in the headphones right this very second. Again. And I'm realizing it may have just passed Gloria at #2 and Two Hearts Beat as One at #1. :ohmy:

Gloria was my absolute favorite until War came out and I heard Two Hearts. They've been at #s 1 and 2 since then. They've been a part of my U2 identity since then. With or Without You was always #3.

This may be a big deal here. I'll have to give it further consideration. :hmm:

:love: WOWY - may have to pop it in the CD player & plug those headphones in!

headphone.gif

Zootlesque said:
WOWY is amazing on headphones! That rhythm and bass... :drool: and the ending... :combust:

Spot on brother!

Wow, THBaO is/was your favourite? I think you need to be commended for not having a common song as your favourite liek The Fly, WtSHNN, One, etc.

Two Hearts Beat as One :rockon: :dance:

I have to agree, WOWY it's really great on headphones but it never has been one of my favourites. Just like "One".

COBL_04 said:

Spot on brother!

Wow, THBaO is/was your favourite? I think you need to be commended for not having a common song as your favourite liek The Fly, WtSHNN, One, etc.

Why? So it's more obscure, and "teh casuals" don't know it?

WOWY has always been my fav song ever.........Bonos voice and Adams bass are spectacular.........and i love the Edges solo at the end......to put it simply it is a :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: song

The outro is the finest I have ever heard.

liamcool, I think it is fantastic that you have a non album track as your favourite. I'm yet to find many b-sides that are better than album tracks.

Bodnex, I just meant that martha should be congratulated for not having the traditional favourites as her favourite track.

martha said:

Gloria was my absolute favorite until War came out and I heard Two Hearts.

You too? :ohmy: :wink: Those used to be my favourite songs for some time.
With or without you became my favorite immediately when I first heard it in the 80s. I agree that it sounds so great when I listen to it in my headphones.
It’s a classic, it has been overplayed and it still is great.:drool:

Last edited:
*:heart:s "With Or Without You"-one of the first U2 songs I ever remember hearing, always, always loved that song*

Honestly, I think that is one song I could listen to over and over again and not tire of. Definitely one of my all-time favorite U2 songs.

"Two Hearts Beat As One" is very cool, too, though :yes:.

Angela

You know, during Elevation I was among those who thought With Or Without You was sounding a little tired, but U2 played it last night and I have to say I was transfixed for the whole song. The way the anticipation and emotion build up to that huge release - mind-blowing. Never has a wordless scream ever captured something so perfectly. :)

In fact, I felt that their performance of it was so good that it felt like it would've been a good close to the concert if that was the last song. Of course I wasn't going anywhere until the house lights came up, :D but it really did capture the magic that night.

Last edited:
Regardless of whether it is one's favorite, If I was pressed into choosing their most polished, well structered song, their BEST if you will, I would have to take With Or Without You...

The release of this single vaulted them to the top of the world. Lo and behold, almost 20 years later, they don't show any signs of relinquishing their post...

Larry's drumming on this song is so perfect! :drool: Him playing like that again this tour really made me appreciate this song again. I was also tired of it and happy that they weren't plying it much at the beginning of the tour but now I'm in love with it again. Watch it live was amazing, the minute Adam started playing the bass the women let some kind of orgasm like sound out and they all started to hug their men. Very cool. The "woh-oh-oh-oh" scream is fantastic!

Has anyone here ever hear the version from Sao Paulo? It’s soooooooooooo great, my favorite version ever of the song! At the end when Bono has to do the “Who-oh-oh-oh” he can’t stop saying goodbye and saying things like ‘“We’ve come a long way” (you can see he’s very happy and emotional on the video of it), Larry takes the band to that moment two times before Bono actually sing it! It’s the greatest build up ever cause each time the crowd sings it for him until he sings it with them at the end!

COBL_04 said:
The outro is the finest I have ever heard.

liamcool, I think it is fantastic that you have a non album track as your favourite. I'm yet to find many b-sides that are better than album tracks.

Bodnex, I just meant that martha should be congratulated for not having the traditional favourites as her favourite track.

Well, I don't think anyone should be congratulated for that, someone's favourite song is their favourite song, they don't think about how successful it was.

Hell, I'd nearly say that, on here, someone should be commended for saying that a song like One or Pride was their favourite song! :wink:

COBL_04 said:
I just meant that martha should be congratulated for not having the traditional favourites as her favourite track.

:scratch: I still don't get what's to be congratulated about having an 'obscure' favourite. Tons of people have them. My top 5-10 consists mostly of 'obscurities', possibly because I heard the 'popular' ones too much or they're just better songs, probably the latter. :huh:

See, for me, I always loved hearing "With or Without You" in concert - BUT - from the JT and R&H eras. Ever since ZOO TV, the song just seems to lack something. Sure, Bono dances with a girl (even rolling around on stage with her at times) and sometimes will do the extra verse, but back in the JT and Love Town eras, the song was played with tons of emotion, more than what was on the album! :ohmy: These days, while I enjoy the studio version (and do consider it a strength of JT, even though it does have some simplistic lyrics), it's the live version from that era that does it for me.

WOWY was my very first U2 song. actually, it was the first song that ever really had an impact on me. i still get chills when i listen to it.

I'm not the video's biggest fan.

The song was probably the third or fourth U2 song I've heard; right now it's still a big favourite, especially a good live version with the extra bits and the Joy Division stuff.

Damn.

It's the reason I borrowed my Dad's Best Of and getting hooked on the band and it's still my favourite ever song, from any band.

The live version from the Rattle and Hum tour has to be the best one I've heard.

Hehe I was at Manchester 1 and wasn;t expecting to hear it after so few airings in the US and them having played it at the previous show, but when Adam struck up his bass notes at the start my heart just burst in excitement and I damn well nearly knocked off my mate's arm by hitting it so excitedly. And it was a great version, with the Joy Division snippets (Manchester, geddit???).

Back
Top Bottom