“Omagh” movie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lady luck

Rock n' Roll Doggie
This morning I read in a newspaper that a movie called “Omagh” received a prize at the Toronto International Film Festival. The movie deals with the dreadful bombing, which took place in Omagh, Northern Ireland, on August 15, 1998. Some of the people involved in the movie are the relatives of the victims. They accepted to take part in the project to tell the world something about their lost beloved relatives.
A lot of people between us get to know what happened in Omagh thanks to U2’s “Peace on earth”, where Bono lists some of the names of the victims of the attack, which happened after the victory of “Yes” to the referendum for the approval of the “Good Friday Agreement”. The Omagh bombing was one of the most tragic events in the history of Northern Ireland. Omagh is a market town and all the 28 people who lost their lives were common people who were in the wrong place in the wrong time.
I think it’s vital, especially in this dark era for our world, to keep in mind events like this one, which are there to remind us that violence and terror don’t bring anything but pain, dead and a sense of desperation, that can just lead to other violence and pain. I think it’s right to commemorate victims and to keep on talking about this kind of events. But I also think that forgiveness is necessary and that we should work with great efforts to put a ban on terror and violence.

Every time I hear about Omagh I think about Bono performing Peace on earth at Slane Castle show. He ended that part of the song with tears in his eyes and a shaking, broken voice.
I can’t imagine how many tears were shed for the victims of the troubles in Northern Ireland. And I can’t imagine how many tears are falling still now for all the victims of terrorism, of course not only in Northern Ireland.
The only thing I know is that, as Bono said, the victims are “Too many!!”.

“Will we ever leave in peace?”

I was lucky enough to preview this movie..and it just a really really fantastic film. More then the actual event itself the bombing and the poltical sitauation at the time with Pete Travis this follows the humane family story and that makes it so hard to watch from an emotional perspective for me..to see how one walks through that type of wrenching loss.Go watch this movie request it if you have to ..you won't regret

how do you get up in the mornining and walk through the same streets as men who are responsible for it, it's a real tough lesson in healing and well grace to getting past that to helping things get better to bringing people together instead of making a bigger divide..... to better times

one life lost is to many..lay down your guns

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom