Old vs New American Prayer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonosloveslave

Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Staff member
I was in Kentucky for the DATA talks last December and heard American Prayer live at that time, I thought it was cool and different but many people did not like it.

They had AP at the 46664 concert this week, and they have obviously redone basically all of the music and lyrics. I don't really have stronger feelings either way for the new version, what did you all think? (Assuming you remember the original version)

the older one :yes: The newer one sounds less...authentic? I mean, the older one actually had African kids singing, the kids they're referring to in the new lyrics, but the new one is Bono and Beyonce, a multi-million dollar American pop-star. It's just not nearly as powerful. I think the older one had better lyrics, MORE lyrics, and I dunno, just sounded like it fit the purpose of the song and the message it is suppose to convey much better than the new one.

I'm hoping that a decent recording of the old version will turn up someday, we know Bono was in a recording studio with the African kids shortly after that tour so who knows, maybe it will be end up being a B-side or part of some fund-raising album at some point :hmm:

on Oprah last week, when they were in the recording studio withBono and Beyonce, it was the old version with the last verse "when you get to the top of the mountain, will you tell me what you see, when you get to the top of the mountain, remember me"... so I think that version will surface someplace.

I think that the live version was an acoustic version? maybe im wrong

I preferred the old version. I'm betting it'll end up on a charity album somewhere. I'd like to hear an electric full band version.

i prefer the new version.. but that's just me

Dave Stewart said there were over four versions of this song that will be released.

StlElevation said:

I think that the live version was an acoustic version? maybe im wrong

So far, both complete "versions" of the song have been live.....

If you're referring to the first performances of the song last winter, it wasn't really acoustic vs. otherwise...it was more like the song was new and they just performed it as it was, I don't think there were "versions" to choose from. I guess you could argue it was acoustic in that Bono played acoustic quitar, but beyond that, they were singing over a demo of Bono and Dave Stewart and it's hard to tell exactly how finished the demo was.

I hope what Stewart said about the four versions being released is true. It will make a great charity single and hopefully do much better than What's Going On, which I think was forgotten by many after the events of September 11.

Old version is shit, and guess what? So is the new one, believe me i never normally have such an adverese reaction to new Bono/U2 stuff.

i liked the older one...not sure why, but i did.

the new one....don't want to go there. fucking awful.

i thought the duet with beyonce was fantastic and it blows the crappy, cheesy, hokey old version out of the water... but that's just me

i could deal with a stuido release along the lines of the 46664 version... i hope the data tour version never sees the light of day again, and is only just a rare mp3 shared by u2 fanatics on the internet, like us wacko's here on interference

Last edited:
I find the adverse reaction to the new version rather puzzling. It has a new found depth the old one was missing. It's stripped down to a strumming guitar, and the harmonies are excellent between Bono and Beyonce. The chorus is much more "classic" sounding, more stretched out and in tune with the beat of the song. I love the fact the song is slowed down with two great voices and an acoustic sounding guitar. Plus Beyonce gives a great performance. The ending is very evocative, too ("...but I hear the children screeeeaamiiinggg..."). I thought it was really well done. :shrug:

Bottom Line:

For charity, great; I hope it sells a billion copies, gives much needed funding and hope in the fight against AIDS, and is an admirable example of someone actually trying to do something.

As far as its relation to u2 musically......this better not be any indication of the "mother of all rock" albums we've been hearing about. That tune has nothing special about it musically, and to be honest I think it's extremly weak. There better be some strong melodies and hooks, not to mention a kick ass rhythm section, on the new album....because this tune has neither.

JOFO said:
Bottom Line:

For charity, great; I hope it sells a billion copies, gives much needed funding and hope in the fight against AIDS, and is an admirable example of someone actually trying to do something.

As far as its relation to u2 musically......this better not be any indication of the "mother of all rock" albums we've been hearing about. That tune has nothing special about it musically, and to be honest I think it's extremly weak. There better be some strong melodies and hooks, not to mention a kick ass rhythm section, on the new album....because this tune has neither.

I agree, but don't see reason to worry. I don't think this was or is really a U2 song and I don't believe there is any evidence to suggest it would be a track on the new album.

headache got what i don't like about it. i tried, but i can't like anything (well, except austin powers 3) involving beyonce. it goes against some stubborn part of my taste in music. i don't care who the other people are on the song. could be anyone.

and yes. it better not be any indication of what the new album is supposed to sound like. i know it's probably not, but stuff like that makes me go like this :eyebrow:

i dont care about these two new(bono) songs. will never listen to them again!
AP suxs(good for aids and all the other political stuff bono has his arss in) but for rock&roll its a shame!

in normal circumstances, i would agree that ap in general is a weak song (esp for my u2 standards), but seeing those african kids get up there and sing their hearts out was very emotional. i just can't make myself say it's a bad song...

but yeah, i definately hope it's nothing to do with the new u2 stuff...

Back
Top Bottom