Old songs, New live versions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mofo82

Refugee
I feel pretty optimistic that the band is preparing older songs for the new tour right now...I get the feeling that if this album and tour are supposed to be heavier and rock more that they're tuning up old fav's like EXIT or ACROBAT the way they did 'The Fly' for Elevation

Now that they've brought in this new mixer (assuming thyve completed recording the new album) i think it would give the band the time now to play around with song order and relevance to past songs to give the tour a really strong theme. VERY EXCITED

Please add comments/ thoughts/ ideas

I love this topic!!
Exit and Acrobat would be great!
All Along The Watchtower and God Part II would totaly kick arse.
What I would be totaly excited about though would be A Sort of Homecoming and a reworked heavier version of ' The Unforgettable Fire' Now that would be amazing.
I saw video from one of the very early JTT shows and they played both these songs amongst Bullet, SBS, Exit and IGC. ASOH was the best of them all...It was so damned rocking, I wish they kept playing it for the whole tour. I guess Bono was just killing his throat trying to sing it, He was straining harder than OTH and Bad, was awesome!!!

I love the way Bullet is morfed into something different each tour.
What about a rock version of Mofo.....without the hiphop trancy shit.

While I would love for them to play just about any old song they havent done in awhile. Exit and Acrobat just dont seem very likely to me. Acrobat is simply the "fan" dream. I dont think U2 has any desire (no pun intended) to play that one. They would have done it on the Zoo tour if they had (I know they rehearsed it, but they never played it live). Also, neither were singles which makes it even less likely. The Fly after all, was a single. I'am not saying its impossible, and I would love it, its just not likely.

Actually my vote would be for an updated Electric Co. That wont happen either most likely. Whats more likely is an update of a single they havent done in awhile live OR an update of a song they have been covering extensively live over the last couple of tours. That seems to be their pattern. A single that would be great would be Gloria. But Bono doesnt like the song any longer so that is unlikely as well. The Unforgettable Fire would be a great choice and they obviously thought about it for Elevation as they did rehearse it in Dublin prior to that tour. I'am sure there will be some type of surprises next tour. A couple of songs hopefully we havent even thought of them playing again.

Last edited:
Interesting topic!

I read somewhere in this forum Bono said he'd like to revisit Dirty day and Ultraviolet live, and I remember reading Edge saying in a 2002 interview they might rework some of the songs from Salome outtakes.

MrBrau1 said:
LNOE and Gone. Along w/ HMTMKMKM. U2 at their rocking best.

If indeed it's a rocking album, then I think that's a realistic hope. Especially Gone, seeing it did get played a fair few times on Elevation. A lot of people have speculated The Cry/The Electric Co. on here before and seemed confident about it, and while that's one I keep on picking as a song I'd like to see again, why do some seem so confident about it?

An increase in performances of 11 O'clock Tick Tock would be AMAZING (yes, we all know by now how much I love the song), and I see it as realistic, considering its appearances on Elevation. Full band Please is likely (happened once on Elevation), full band In God's Country may occur (they did it acoustic on Elevation), and this is dreaming, but a full Wake Up Dead Man would be wonderful.

Songs I would love to see, that may be realistic or may be thoroughly dreaming: Gloria, Surrender, A Sort Of Homecoming, The Three Sunrises (Ha!), the Boomerangs (Ha! Ha! Ha!), Hawkmoon 269, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses.

who's gonna ride your wild horses wold be sweet

but ACROBAT is a real dream for maybe everyone :drool:

I hope they bring back the Desire/All Along The Watchtower combo (but Desire 93, that one rocks)

Please... I don't think so, but Last Night On Earth would be nice.

I'm really confident in them kicking I Will Follow for Out Of Control... or for 11 O'Clock...

If they play Exit... I would be in heaven.

But if they bring back An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart... or another power song of Boy... that would be a real treat for us.

Axver... when did they played Please full band in Elevation?

If I was to put money on any song that will make a comeback it will be Electric Co.

Do You Feel Loved, One Tree Hill, Two Hearts and Surender would be awesome!

I also think Even Better will get a better go than on Elevation tour.

Axver, I never said I was confident Electric Co would be played. In fact, I said it was unlikely. I just said that would be my pick for a song if I could pick one. I just think its a great rocking tune. I thought it would have been perfect for Elevation. I could see Bono running around the heart during the bridge. Unfortunately never happened as we know. Probebly never will again, its been 17 years since they last played it!!

I just think as far as older tunes, the only ones they might just pull out of nowhere would have to be ones that were singles. If you are just putting out what our fantasy picks I would pick the following.

-Electric Co
-God Part II
-One Tree Hill
-Heartland (just because its never been done live, I think a live version would take it to a new level)

I could go on and on with picks. But those are my top ones off the top of my head. I'am very confident none of these will be done. But I would have never predicted The Fly before the Elevation tour started.

pepokiss, the full band Please was played at the 10-19-01 Baltimore show. They rehearsed it while they were in Chicago. They messed it up a little, but it wasnt to bad considering they hadnt done it for 4 years. After Baltimore they switched to the acoustic with piano version done for most of the remaining 3rd leg.

I don't think its farfetched at all that they would play a song that wasn't a single. Although let me take the tracklisting for the Go Home DVD as it is a fairly typical setlist (save Out of Control) and see how many songs they did from each of their studio albums.

Boy: 1

October:0

War: 2

Unforgetable Fire: 1

The Joshua Tree: 3

Rattle and Hum: 3

Actung Baby: 2

Zoropa: 0

Pop: 2

All That You Can't Leave Behind: 5

So I figure the new album would get a good share of the 18 or so songs played a normal night. Probably 5 or 6. But let me break down each album and see what's what.

"I Will Follow" is played almost every night, but will it still? If not, will they still represent Boy somehow on most nights? *cough*Electric Co.*cough*

October still looks dim...Gloria anyone? How about Fire? Anything?

War seems to have a couple staples. "Sunday Bloody Sunday" will be played from now until Bono dies, so I don't forsee it going anywhere. Same to a certain degree to "New Years Day". But as anyone who has listened to the album knows, there are many great tunes on there. One of which, "40", that sometimes intros into other songs. So will there be any hope for songs such as "Two Hearts Beat as One"?

The Unforgettable Fire is an interesting case. It only has 10 tracks, and would have probably been a very dim album had it not included "Pride". Now we all know "Bad" and "Pride" are often played, but will the title track see any love? Maybe a suprise from "A Sort of Homecoming"? Well, with each new release, the song selection isn't getting any smaller...

Rattle and Hum always seems to get much love from the band, and from what I gather, it seems to get mixed reactions from the fans. Everyone loves the album to a degree...but noone ever seems to agree on how much it should be "represented". "Desire" is its mainstay, and always will be. But do we really need "When Love Comes to Town" or "Angel of Harlem" popping up every now and again? And other than "All I Want is You", will "R&H" keep on showing up?

The Joshua Tree...what everyone will always remember U2 for. It seems though that every single show during Elevation, U2 played 3 of the first 4 tracks from the album in question. I realize that they are immensly popular songs, but will the band ever get tired of playing "With or Without You" or "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"? We all know "Streets" will always be played, but it looks as if "Bullet the Blue Sky" might have to take a seat after being a sure thing for so long. That either means more room for something else, or another place to play something like "Running to Stand Still".

Actung Baby has so many hit songs and singles, it's hard to tell what they'll play from it. "One" is said to be a sure thing, but even that seems to be hard to fit in at this point; although I still plan on hearing it when I go to see them. So will "Until the end of the World" go? Will we get "Even Better Than the Real Thing" (Which The Edge seems to praise still) or "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" at all? How about "Mysterious Ways"? Will the fans get lucky and hear "Acrobat" at any given point? I can guess that the album will still be heavily played, I just am not sure WHAT we will hear from it.

The only song on Zooropa that has any chance on being played will still be "Stay (Faraway, So Close!)". But this leads to another point. The band once said that "Stay" was the only song that actually worked live from Zooropa, but remember that new sound technology that was being developed and pushed by U2? It was supposed to be a sound aiming technology that would designate sound to wherever it was programmed to. However, the technology was but barely supposed to be done being developed when U2 was supposed to be starting their tour. But with the delays in all...will it be ready? If so, how would this effect the setlist?

If anyone knows how good Pop is or could have been, U2 knows it. They love to translate what was on the record to what they wanted it to be every night on stage. It's constant playing of songs like "Gone" are proof of this. "Discoteque" was another song that the band liked to play every once and awhile during the Elevation tour. But again, with so many songs, I'm still wondering what gets put on here and what gets kicked out. It doesn't seem likely that "Staring at the Sun" will be played if they stick with "Stay" as their acoustic "slow down the pace a bit" song. Also, will they still use "Wake Up Dead Man" as an intro or a"Let's fill this little ditty in here to make the setlist seem bigger"
piece? I know the band will put a Pop song or two in here somewhere, but whatever it is, it will probably sound rockin' like.

All That You Can't Leave Behind is coming off of its spotlight tour, so it will obviously get downgraded in song selection. "Elevation" will almost undoubtedly get kicked out, because the band, to my knowledge, doesn't keep the concert opener around too much longer than its respective tour. (Zoo Station anyone?) So I'm thinking we'll see Beautiful Day for sure and possibly Walk On. They could use any combination of the singles, however. So no more "New York City" or "Kite", most likely.

The Misc section is a section not wandered into too often for a band that usually only plays all their hit songs. "Misc" meaning soundtrack music or otherwise. The only question mark I see here is whether they'll play "Electrical Storm" or something. That or the reapearrence of "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me". But I doubt it, especially if they have another soundtrack song to play. (Spiderman 2, as is rumored.)

Phew...so there's my break down on things. Comments?

Last edited:
Ultraviolet re-done would be cool...

The live version I heard just doesn't stand up to the studio version which is why a re-worked version would be a good idea.

I would love to see POP represented again but two of my favorite songs in IGWSHA and Do You Feel Love don't seem like songs that translate well live...

I would love to see a re-done Electric Co... most potential IMO...

Blue Room said:
Axver, I never said I was confident Electric Co would be played. In fact, I said it was unlikely.

Yes, I realise that - my comment wasn't directed at you but at the discussion where people have been confident of a return of The Electric Co. I have seen people be confident about it, and I was myself until I realised that the only reason I was was because a good deal of other people were talking about it.

I do believe it would have fantastic potential and if the album really is a rocker, I imagine it'd be perfect. But it's been seventeen years ... then again, it'd been ages since 11 O'clock Tick Tock and A Sort Of Homecoming too.

I was going to comment on ZigZag's post, but I'm in a hurry. Maybe later.

ZigZag: interesting breakdown.

I agree for most part (I will follow/NYD/SBS is the usual "early years" trio), I also doubt we will ever see anything from October or UF (apart from Pride and Bad) or Zooropa (apart from Stay) live again.

It seems Desire, Angel of Harlem and All I want is you are regulars from R&H album - not sure other stuff will ever appear.

First 4 tracks from JT get played a lot on every tour, so I don't think that will change. I believe Running to stand still is quite likely to come back.

AB - One, MW and Until the end of the world are, again, regulars, with a possible toss of another song (even better on popmart and fly on the last tour). 4 songs are usually played.

From POP - we'll see. I think Discotheque, Gone and Staring at the sun will definitely be played, with additional song (Please?).

From the last album, BD seems most definite. Judging from the past, Elevation or Walk on won't get played, I think Stuck in a moment, New York will be played too. (and Kite will probably appear a few times too - personally I'm hoping for an occasional In a little while)

I think Electrical storm will be featured in the next setlist, and maybe Hands that built America will be played now and then. If the Skyhawk rumors are true, that song might appear too.

Mofo82, you have raised some excellent points there! With U2 recording a Very ROCK album, why the hell ignore old classics such as Exit and Acrobat which would really fit in to this new style U2 seem to be hyping up for themselves at the moment.

If they're going to stretch Pride and Sunday Bloody Sunday until the tape wears down and they become slow boring dull pieces of music that sounded like they were going to send 80,000 home grown fans asleep right in front of them at Slane Castle...why not serve everyone a plate of their ass with all the trimmings and totally tear the place apart with Acrobat or Lady with the Spinning Head...

I want U2 to announce the next tour and announce they're going to revive such songs! that'd kick ass...

Originally posted by
Mofo82, you have raised some excellent points there! With U2 recording a Very ROCK album, why the hell ignore old classics such as Exit and Acrobat which would really fit in to this new style U2 seem to be hyping up for themselves at the moment.

If they're going to stretch Pride and Sunday Bloody Sunday until the tape wears down and they become slow boring dull pieces of music that sounded like they were going to send 80,000 home grown fans asleep right in front of them at Slane Castle...why not serve everyone a plate of their ass with all the trimmings and totally tear the place apart with Acrobat or Lady with the Spinning Head...

I want U2 to announce the next tour and announce they're going to revive such songs! that'd kick ass...

There are plenty of old songs besides Acrobat and Exit that are rockers. Acrobat is more a mid tempo song anyway, so other than the guitar solo I dont really consider it a rocker. So I dont know why those would be must play songs IF the album is a rocker. Also, I think you are losing site that we are the die hards. Sure we would love them to play some of these songs. But the average fan goes away disappointed if they dont hear the hits. The diehards may be bored with them but the average fan isnt. Lets face it with the large crowds U2 plays to there are WAY more average fans there than there are diehards. There is no way U2 would play Lady With A Spinning Head. Its obviously a B side and it wasnt even done during Zoo. Most fans at a huge concert would not know what it was. I was at the Chicago 5-15-01 show when they first broke out 11 O Clock and Out Of Control. The heart went nuts, the rest of the crowd didnt know what they were playing and were rather subdued.

I guess I'am not sure what this thread is suppose to be. What our fantasy songs are or what realistically would be a possibility. Because I dont think 80% of the songs we have listed are very realistic choices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmmm, very good point, also...but the three I mentioned in my post are just personal taste...not speaking for majority.

But yes, most people are average fans unlike us, but if they did happen to play something like '...spinning head', it really would hit the spot with everyone and who knows, get the average fans into the B-sides as well...never know.

Personally, I feel one of U2's biggest mistakes was leaving behind too much on ZooTV. Apart from Pride, SBS, NYD, and some rare performances of I Will Follow and Party Girl, did they play ANYTHING pre-JT? Big mistake when that was still fairly recent material.

Anyway, onto what ZigZag said.

Boy: They will continue to represent Boy, but I'm not so sure I Will Follow will get played most nights. I think we may see Out Of Control or 11 O'clock Tick Tock take on a greater role. I'm sure most of here know how I feel towards 11OTT and being played every night!

October: I agree. Will anything from it EVER be played again? It'd be a shame to never hear Gloria again ...

War: I think New Year's Day a more sure thing than Sunday Bloody Sunday. I can see SBS taking on a reduced capacity. 40 will DEFINITELY close the last U2 show ever, but will it appear beforehand? I'm hoping it will. If they don't have a closer on the new album like Walk On or Love Is Blindness, it's almost certain to close some shows.

The Unforgettable Fire: Agreed with Bad and Pride hanging around. We may see some more MLK - after all, it did get played at the Super Bowl - but I'm not hopeful about a return of the title track and ... I'd like to see some more A Sort Of Homecoming but I feel that's a 50/50 chance. Maybe in cities they feel strongly towards (notably Dublin, as with Elevation) or countries they haven't been to in ages (e.g. Australia and Brazil)?

The Joshua Tree: The first four songs are staples - Streets will get played every night, and the other three won't be out of the setlist for many nights in a row at all. Running To Stand Still has great potential to return with Bullet (I feel they well and truly belong together), and then there's two region-specific songs: One Tree Hill will get played (acoustic?) in New Zealand, and Mothers Of The Disappeared in South America.

Rattle And Hum: I don't want Desire to stay if it's just going to be acoustic, but I think it will. I'd love to see it get played a la 20 November 1989, Sydney. When Love Comes To Town has been missing since ZooTV and I doubt it will return, while Angel Of Harlem will probably keep on showing up. All I Want Is You will not go; I can imagine it and Bad alternating like on Elevation. Anything else? Despite how much I'd love for them to play Hawkmoon 269, it's highly unlikely. Van Diemen's Land acoustic, maybe?

Achtung Baby: The day One goes, the world will end. Speaking of the end of the world, Until The End Of The World has had a FANTASTIC run, being played (nearly?) every night since the start of ZooTV. If this album is a rocker, why would it go? It won't. Expect to see more of it. Even Better Than The Real Thing will make a few appearances - it's one of the hits people know well (I grew up on it) - and Mysterious Ways simply cannot go. I know people who solely know U2 for Beautiful Day and Mysterious Ways. It'll keep getting played on a regular basis. What else will we hear? I think maybe a bit of Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses might not be as outlandish as it may seem, and I'm hopeful The Fly won't fly away into the oblivion Hawkmoon 269's gone to.

Zooropa: I completely agree that Stay is the only song likely to be played from it ever again. The thoughts on the new technology are rather interesting, though ...

Pop: Staring At The Sun will appear occasionally in the acoustic set. It must be noted it's been played roughly fifty more times than the OLDER Stay. The band seems to like Gone and I think it'll keep getting played, especially with the additional publicity of appearing on an Elevation DVD. Discotheque got played a lot during the start of Elevation but then slid off the face of the planet - any foreseeable return? I'm not that optimistic. Wake Up Dead Man will most likely creep into places (maybe as the song played at the end of One ... personally, I feel Beautiful Day is its sequel and they should be done together). Please showed up later on in Elevation, and the world climate when the band tours will dictate if it gets played or not. Anything else is HIGHLY unlikely ... then again, The Fly was too and it returned, so why not Last Night On Earth? I feel it could be Pop's The Fly.

ATYCLB will definitely be played in a reduced capacity. Beautiful Day will definitely get played regularly - it's too popular not to be. Kicking out openers and closers has only been a recent phenomenon with ZooTV and Popmart - 40 closed numerous tours and 11 O'clock Tick Tock's been played just about everywhere on the setlist - so Elevation and Walk On MAY stay. I feel Walk On is more likely - it's positive and reassuring, so it could be like Please and have its appearance dependent on world climate. Kite is a beautiful song but whether it gets a look-in will depend on the style of the new album. New York played in New York? I think so. Stuck In A Moment? I feel it's actually unlikely, though due to the fact it's about Michael Hutchence I think that'll help it stay on, especially in Australia. Anything else? Peace On Earth may be another Wake Up Dead Man, but I feel that'll be about it.

The Miscellaneous section? If they ever go back to Sarajevo, we know exactly what song we're going to hear! The Sweetest Thing and The Ground Beneath Her Feet appeared during Elevation often enough to think they may have a slim chance of appearing again, The Hands That Built America and Electrical Storm are certain to appear on the next tour in some capacity, and going back, yet again, to the 'if the album's a rocker' statement, HMTMKMKM could show up.

That was pretty long ...

I think I will Follow should be replaced quite often with either Out of Control or Electric Co.

Gloria needs to return, Ocotber is becoming alienated from the u2 discography, and needs to be awakened, because it is a masterpiece. IS THAT ALL? requires a live debut, because I know it could be a fans favourite, in the same vein as 40. With a shout would be worth a go too.

SBS and NYD, they seem as if they wont be played together on a same night, but IMO SBS is losing its novel value. Keep NYD, and perhaps, bring about a return of Seconds.

Pride, must be kept, but not played in more than 70% of shows. Bad can be played now and then and so can UF and ASOH. Wire and MLK might as well be locked away for ever.

JT songs should be fiddled around a bit. Keep Streets for 100% of shows and play about 1 or 2 of RTSS, OTH, WOWY, BTBS now and then.

Heartland deserves a debut but won't get one. Angel Of Harlem and Desire should be the alternated from night to night. BOth are great live.

One is a classic but ive always been skeptical regarding it's live quality. Keep it for 50% of shows maybe. Zoo Station won't return, even though it is a stunner live. Play about 3 songs out of EBTTRT, MYst. ways, Ultraviolet, LIB, Acrobat, Zoo Station and The Fly. Until the end of the world is getting worn out.

It'd be great for the return of Lemon, and it might be reworked possibly like The Fly was, and prove a hit. Stay could be played now and then, but Zooropa doesn't offer much in live quality.

POP, deserves at least 1 or 2 tracks. Discotheque should be played because it sums up where u2 were at the time. Maybe slip MOFO or LNOE as well. Please or DYFL would be good to see return, but I feel Wake UP dead Man, just takes up room on the setlist. MIAMI would be a welcome surprise too.

I think I will Follow should be replaced quite often with either Out of Control or Electric Co.

Gloria needs to return, Ocotber is becoming alienated from the u2 discography, and needs to be awakened, because it is a masterpiece. IS THAT ALL? requires a live debut, because I know it could be a fans favourite, in the same vein as 40. With a shout would be worth a go too.

SBS and NYD, they seem as if they wont be played together on a same night, but IMO SBS is losing its novel value. Keep NYD, and perhaps, bring about a return of Seconds.

Pride, must be kept, but not played in more than 70% of shows. Bad can be played now and then and so can UF and ASOH. Wire and MLK might as well be locked away for ever.

JT songs should be fiddled around a bit. Keep Streets for 100% of shows and play about 1 or 2 of RTSS, OTH, WOWY, BTBS now and then.

Heartland deserves a debut but won't get one. Angel Of Harlem and Desire should be the alternated from night to night. BOth are great live.

One is a classic but ive always been skeptical regarding it's live quality. Keep it for 50% of shows maybe. Zoo Station won't return, even though it is a stunner live. Play about 3 songs out of EBTTRT, MYst. ways, Ultraviolet, LIB, Acrobat, Zoo Station and The Fly. Until the end of the world is getting worn out.

It'd be great for the return of Lemon, and it might be reworked possibly like The Fly was, and prove a hit. Stay could be played now and then, but Zooropa doesn't offer much in live quality.

POP, deserves at least 1 or 2 tracks. Discotheque should be played because it sums up where u2 were at the time. Maybe slip MOFO or LNOE as well. Please or DYFL would be good to see return, but I feel Wake UP dead Man, just takes up room on the setlist. MIAMI would be a welcome surprise too.

Beautiful Day must remain because it is one of the few songs which is Factually good and has fans of the songs worldwide.
Wild Honey needs a debut, and Walk On, Kite, New York and Elevation would be great to see played now and then. 3 ATYCLB tracks a night for the next tour, sometimes 2.

11 O'clock would be a more than pleasant surprise on occasions. Luminous Times and Lady with the Spinning head wont be played live, but boy do they desrve to. Regarding Electrical Storm, it prob will never be played live, but whether it'd be any good or not, who knows. A Celebration would be a sweet inclusion too.

This is what they played at the one concert I've been to of theirs (I'm only 16 afterall)

Elevation 2001, St. Louis, 28th November 2001

What They Played:

Elevation
Beautiful Day
Until The End Of The World
New Years Day
I Will Follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Kite
Angel Of Harlem
Knocking On Heaven's Door (Bono And Edge With Fans On Guitar And Piano)
Please (Bono And Edge)
Bad
Where The Streets Have No Name
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
-----------
Bullet The Blue Sky
What's Going On
New York
-----------
One
Walk On (Introduced By Peace On Earth)

Although I distinctly don't remember them playing One whatsoever...

first, i gotta thank every one SO FAR thats replied to one of my first posts...

after reading so far, i can see how everyone wants to pick entire songs that would make the setlist(s)...

my ideas are all over the place and kinda go like this:

if they want to remain as relevant as possible as possible, they might follow this political anxiety in the world along with the trend that music wants to rock more- its smack right in front of us

i think music , both naturally and as a business is gonna follow the world's strange mood

with this said i kinda see U2 goin back that felling of unrest that zoo tv provided...no smooth slicked back versions of 'stuck in a moment'...no time to enjoy a song for a song's sake like 'Stay', not at least til a break in the lineup, lets say after a block including 'EXIT', 'Dirty DayI just saw a U2 tribute band play Exit and i got so fired up...the song was played vigorous and never slowed down, from start to finish

lots of anger and some romance to keep us from running out in the streets joining all the mobs...we must remain civilized...
the first time i saw footage from zoo tv i was blown away by the power of dirty day and bullet the blue sky, then further pushed by the change of mood in 'Running to Stand Still',' Love is Blindness'

Songs that dont slow down the overall pace of the show, i believe, will dominate the setlist and flow right into the next songs (the Flow that Elevation Tour lacked)

upbeat songs that bring fire and anger, as well as quicker, lighter songs that will remind us that not ALL is 'bad' in the world- enter quicker, fresh versions of 'Pride', 'Even Better Than the Real Thing'

Last, I see U2 going back to large screens that promote ideas as Popmart did, but not so artistic. Much was used there to just signify how much can be bought and sold...theres a larger problem existing under the profit of individuals and nations...that people are being abused and forgotten...LOTS OF STARK IMAGERY to display the enormity of these problems, i.e. intro to 'Bullet the Blue Sky' Elevation Tour

lets keep this thread goin :wink:

Last edited:
the other half of me will now speak :wave:, the half that enjoys U2's songs for themselves...

would love to hear 'Gloria' used somehow, even if the Gloooooriaaaaa's from the end of the song came were used to bridge two songs

'Dancing Barefoot'- just kicks ass
'Numb'
'The Ground Beneath Her Feet'- full band; let the end of song rock on for minutes
'God pt 2'
'Sattelite of Love'-been wanting to hear a full band version, unlike the accoustic Zoo Tv-
'I Threw a Brick Threw a Window'!!!! yeah go back to October
'MOFO'

i'll come back to more later im sure

What i'll try to do is replace an Elevation tour setlist with songs that could replace it.

Elevation tour Boston DVD ("Solar Tour," lol!)

Elevation (All Because of you/new song/lol!)

Beautiful day

Until the end of the world (keep/alternate Even Better than the
real thing)

New Years Day

Stuck in a moment...(Native Son/new song)

Kite (tough/ New song)

Gone (keep/alternate with Last Night on earth or NEW song)

I will Follow (keep/alternate with Electric Co/11 o'clk)

New York (Origional of the Species/New song)

Sunday, Bloody Sunday

In a little While (Sometimes you can't make it on your own/NEW)

Desire (keep & Alternate with Angel of Harlem or starin at the sun)

Stay (alt. with acoustic Drowning Man, please, or Electrical storm)

Bad (keep & Alternate with All i want is u)

Streets

Bullet the Blue Sky (replace with HMTMKMKM, Disco, Elevation, and/or Exit)

With or Without you, y'know its gonna stay and thats OK cause it's my fave!

The Fly (keep/alt. with Mysterious ways, who's gonna ride...)

wake up dead man (keep/ alt. MLK, peace on earth, walk on snippet)

Walk on (One step closer to knowing/New song)

There you go, i heard some songs were left of that DVD, is that true? If so what song(s)? That would make up the main set list and they'd obviously throw in a special song or whatever for special nights, ex Party girl, or ali's presence, ex. Sweetest thing!

That's just a huge guess, by the way, and i wanted to incorperate sopme of the new songs, just for kicks!!

IMO, there are plenty of songs that i would enjoy hearing live, but if they haven't played them in 17 years, there are reasons for it.
Once again, IMO, a common setlist could look something like this (if anything, it's fun to speculate and/or dream):

1. New album Rocker
2. New Album Rocker
3. Beautiful Day
4. New Year's Day
5. Slower Mid Temp New Album (possibly with piano to follow NYD)
6. Even Better than the Real Thing
7. HMTMKMKM
8. SBS
9. Desire
10. All I want is You
11 The Ground Beneath Her Feet
12. New Album tune
13. Discoteche
14. Pride
----intermission----
15. Electric Co
16. WOWY
17. One
18. New Album last song to close

I'd like to hear what you folks think (I could be WAYYYY off)

Interesting set, Numb1075 - but I think HMTMKMKM was a Popmart thing and won't be brought up again.

I think 16 songs most likely to get played per night can be guessed based on their usual live habits:

1 song from Boy
2 songs from War
2 songs from UF (or 1, if Bad is changed for AIWIY transition for Streets)
3 songs from JT (I still... and WOWY alternating, with Streets and Bullet being constant staples)
1 song from R&H (Desire usually)
3 songs from AB (MW/One/UTEOTW seems to be the constant choice)
1 POP song (either Gone or Discotheque)
3 songs (?) from ATYCLB (BD, Stuck and New York/Kite alternating)

16 songs which still allows 7 or so new songs.

I just think that HMTMKMKM would be a B Side that could be resurrected as it fits with the supposed theme of the new album - heavy on guitars

The Electric Co.
Last Night On Earth
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Exit
God Part II
Dirty Day

Hopefully Bullet The Blue Sky, Until The End Of The World, The Fly and Gone will never leave the set list for this next tour!!!! A set list with all of those songs plus a few other rockers (Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day, New York....) would be a dream coming true!!!!

i always thought that zoo tv was their best tour, it was rough rock n roll, which missed in my opinion in the last two tours. i hope that songs like exit, acrobat, god part 2, the fly or even silver and gold (why not?) will be considered for the next tour...but i'm a lil bit skeptic :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom