Old songs, New live versions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
babyman- im glad you brought up 'silver and gold'. thats a real rocker...dont necessarily need the same rhetoric that bono throws in about little steven but theres enough to relate the song to if he so wishes to talk a little

ive been listening to new york this week and as mellow as the album version is I know it could get really rocked out if bono growled the lyrics rather than singing them. I feel that this is the biggest thing that gets to me when hearing their live music over the past few years...theres got to be a way for bono to save his voice and still sound angry in songs like 'the fly'. i think that the way bono's vocals sound on the album and impending tour will be just as important as an angrier edge, a louder larry and some sweet hooks from adam

babyman- im glad you brought up 'silver and gold'. thats a real rocker...could be played once every now and again. im thinkin that bono could find a few things to say to replace the little steven comments.

i have been listening to new york a bit this week. it sounds like its so close to exploding but holds back for the sake of the rest of the album. definitely a song they could rip apart in the upcoming tour.

one thing that jumps out to me in the last several years is how bono sings angrier songs. id like to hear an angrier bono just growl new york or the fly, not sing them...they seem pretty soft in their latest incarnations. his vocals on the new album and the tour are really gonna set the tone, as much or even more than an angrier sounding edge, louder larry or adam.

one last point- i have a bootleg of new years day when adam opens and it sounds really close to a heavy nirvana-sounding guitar (just like the opening to 'come as you are')...one of the best versions of nyd ive heard...i could use a little more of that sound out of adam. anyone heard this version?- might be from popmart

I highly doubdt they will do Silver And Gold again. #1 technically its a B side that hasnt been done since Joshua Tree. The live version on Rattle and Hum sort of counts though I guess. #2 its a song about apartheid, which was overturned. So the relevence of the song is kind of lost. I guess anything is possible but I highly doubdt it will ever be done again. There would need to be some type of social uphevel somewhere that the lyrics to the song would fit. I dont think I would hope for that to happen just so a song would be played though. The other problem is, the lyrics are pretty specific. I would love it if they did play it though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom