"Old" people and music sales

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GypsyHeartgirl

POP for GIRLS
I am starting this thread in response to some posts I saw on other threads (which I do not want to bump) I think it is a topic that needs attention. Apparently, some of you feel a band cannot be 'relevant' or largely successful without being a huge force with teenagers, or at least the under 30 crowd.

Wrong.

Here's why:

1. Please note that older people buy music too. Please don't get the idea that when someone is over 30, they are so eat up with kids, jobs, problems, etc. that they don't buy CD's- WE DO!! AND we have more money to spend on them than teenagers! AND we are less likely to share and 'burn' copies off of friends or the internet, or even steal them (sorry) than younger people.

2. Unlike the 'old' people of earlier generations, we have not 'outgrown' music. I can't speak for everyone, but all the people I know are still rocking, still playing rock radio stations, still buying CD's and going to concerts. We still love it as much as when we were young. Of course you may have less time to devote to music the more responsibilites and the less free time you have, but that doesn't mean 'old' people are not into music and buy it when they can.

3. What is relevant to teenagers? I have a sixteen year old son and a 13 year old daughter. I asked them and their friends to define this, and to list bands that 'matter.' You know what they said? There is no way to measure this, because teenagers, like every other age group, have varying tastes. (For the record my son loves U2 and lots of 60's and 70's bands and my daughter is one of those who only likes new people and won't like 'old' bands) Just because someone is a 'teenager' doesn't mean they all flock to the same thing. That may have been true in the 60's for the most part but not anymore. I thought about when I was a teenager. I was into old stuff, my friends and I liked The Who, Stones and Beatles and their solo acts, but also Boston, KISS, Cheap Trick, the Cars and more new stuff. Lots of kids were into Skynrd and southern rock, some even country. Some liked disco and some even liked Leo Sayer and crap like that. Punk? It was never a factor in my area, but the U2 members are the age of me and the people I was in high school with and they were very into punk, and glam, which had no impact in my area that I ever saw. So you have it, different strokes for different folks, and today it is even more splintered to the point where NO band is the big thing people flock behind. Some teens will like U2, some will not. You can't aim things at people whose tastes are so splintered. It's not just teens, everyone's tastes are like that now. The only thing you can do is make a good album and hope enough good people appreciate it.

4. By this, I do not mean to say that U2 is targeting 'old' people and not young ones. I really don't think they are targeting anyone. But they are older now, and the stuff that comes out of their hearts and souls is going to be that of a 40+ person now, because that's what they are. They have a lot to share, and I'm sure it will be something that touches a lot of people a lot of different ages. But if it does 'touch' my age group overall more than others, that will not be a bad thing for the band. We love them and we have money to buy their stuff, and we appreciate it. They are the 'voice' of their generation remember, and who else do we have? Can't we have U2? But everyone will always have U2 if they have enough taste for quality!

5. Many youths will refuse a band just for being too 'old.' Once a band is 'old' there will be some teens and young people who sadly will reject them for their age alone, and there is nothing they can do to appeal to those people so they shouldn't even bother. Some teens will like what they do, whatever it is, and some will not, no matter what it is. So that market can never be counted on as a significant factor in sales. If they come, great, but if they don't, it's their loss, but the band can't let that change what they're doing since there will NEVER be enough of them to make an impact.

6. It's really not the age, but the person, the taste, the personality, and you really can't label that just by when someone was born.

Last edited:
The music and advertising industries doesn't care about anyone, but the 12-17 and 18-49 demographics (more specifically, the 18-25 sub-demographic). This is the measure for success, whether we like it or not--and I generally do not like it.

Melon

I think that part of the reason that music labels market much more to younger people is simply because they have more disposable money to buy albums, and they have more time to listen to music. Kids don't have to worry about mortgage payments, or working overtime. That makes it a lot easier to sell to them. I don't think older people stop listening to music, but they tend to be fairly well set in their music preferences. The labels see younger people as a block of clay which they can mold to specific music tasts, whether they be hip hop, rock, country, techno, or whatever. It's awfully hard to market new bands to people in their 40s, simply because they have probably grown up with U2, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, etc and they simply like that music. Of course some of what I've said is fairly generalized, but it tends to be the way many adults act regarding music.

I think bands still should try to appeal to that younger, usually more fickle demographic. If they can have their music be fresh, yet appeal to those who knew them before, then they have huge potential all over them. I think U2 did a marvelous job with ATYCLB in that respect. Not only did the diehard fans stick with them, but they became cool and fresh to high school-age kids as well. I think its great that they were able to sell to a huge spectrum like that. Part of this just came from the awesome reviews that ATYCLB got (and it was an awesome album), and part of it came from U2 being on TRL, the Grammys, and Top Of The Pops.

But in the end, I think that especially with a band like U2, they just have to put out the best damn album they can, and let the fans come to them. They don't need to worry too much about their image, or what people will think if they do something different. They are successful enough that they can determine what is cool and hip, without having to suck up to anyone.

Hopefully I haven't made anyone feel old. You should be able to enjoy music whether you're 8 or 80... or even older. :)

Foxxern said:
I think that part of the reason that music labels market much more to younger people is simply because they have more disposable money to buy albums, and they have more time to listen to music. Kids don't have to worry about mortgage payments, or working overtime. That makes it a lot easier to sell to them. I don't think older people stop listening to music, but they tend to be fairly well set in their music preferences. The labels see younger people as a block of clay which they can mold to specific music tasts, whether they be hip hop, rock, country, techno, or whatever. It's awfully hard to market new bands to people in their 40s, simply because they have probably grown up with U2, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, etc and they simply like that music. Of course some of what I've said is fairly generalized, but it tends to be the way many adults act regarding music.

I think bands still should try to appeal to that younger, usually more fickle demographic. If they can have their music be fresh, yet appeal to those who knew them before, then they have huge potential all over them. I think U2 did a marvelous job with ATYCLB in that respect. Not only did the diehard fans stick with them, but they became cool and fresh to high school-age kids as well. I think its great that they were able to sell to a huge spectrum like that. Part of this just came from the awesome reviews that ATYCLB got (and it was an awesome album), and part of it came from U2 being on TRL, the Grammys, and Top Of The Pops.

But in the end, I think that especially with a band like U2, they just have to put out the best damn album they can, and let the fans come to them. They don't need to worry too much about their image, or what people will think if they do something different. They are successful enough that they can determine what is cool and hip, without having to suck up to anyone.

Hopefully I haven't made anyone feel old. You should be able to enjoy music whether you're 8 or 80... or even older. :)

Well said :)

80's keep mixing shit about pop , 80's and atyclb

You got stuck in a moment and you can't get out of it ........

Just my thoughts, maybe they would appeal more to younger kids if they turned up The Edge a few notches. Kids like careening gutair riffs, loud noises in general, and the pschyedelic sound Edge makes is sorely missed.

GypsyHeartgirl said:

5. Many youths will refuse a band just for being too 'old.' Once a band is 'old' there will be some teens and young people who sadly will reject them for their age alone, and there is nothing they can do to appeal to those people so they shouldn't even bother. Some teens will like what they do, whatever it is, and some will not, no matter what it is. So that market can never be counted on as a significant factor in sales. If they come, great, but if they don't, it's their loss, but the band can't let that change what they're doing since there will NEVER be enough of them to make an impact.

6. It's really not the age, but the person, the taste, the personality, and you really can't label that just by when someone was born.

I will not just agree with this statement, but I will back it up with my personal experience.

I was raised in the 1980's and the 1990's. A musical era that would lead people to believe that I was a huge fan of Michael Jackson, Prince, Guns n' Roses, and ummm...a 30-something Elton John? Okay, maybe he doesn't fit your idea of relevant performers of that decade, but bare with me. I loved these performers as you would probably expect, but I mostly listened to other stuff. Stuff like The Beatles, the Rolling Stones, earlier Elton John (by far superior to the 1980's John), and countless goldie oldies. My mom raised me of the songs of the 1950's and 60's. Those were my nursery rhymes, for god's sake!

I don't know if it was because my parents exposed me to other styles of music, or if it was because I sought them out, but I have always listened to music based on personal preference rather than current popularity.

Now, concerning what most teenagers deem "good music" and would have to disagree for the most part. While there are a few that listen to music rather than look at the music's performer, I would say that style has a greater influence than every before. I'm not saying that Elvis was any different, but I think a performer's appearance determines whether or not a teenager can relate to their music. Of course, I think this is a recipe for a shallow existence, but true. Most teens listen to what their friends are listening to, and unless U2 persuades the "cool kids" to listen to their music, the other kids won't either.

first of all , 99 5 of so -called " Rock Radio stations " , mtv , vh1 , are pure crap and always were and will be .

I never listened or chose the music by time , coolness . for me there is no time - line difference , i know that my whole life won't be enough to listen to supposed to be good stuff , i try to choose by my heart and my feelings , fuck mainstream , fuck music companies , i listen to what i want to listen , i don't give a fuck if it's POP , rock , rap or other " nickname for cd-shit-plastique " .

melon said:
The music and advertising industries doesn't care about anyone, but the 12-17 and 18-49 demographics (more specifically, the 18-25 sub-demographic). This is the measure for success, whether we like it or not--and I generally do not like it.

Melon

Exactly.

pinkfloyd said:
first of all , 99 5 of so -called " Rock Radio stations " , mtv , vh1 , are pure crap and always were and will be .

I never listened or chose the music by time , coolness . for me there is no time - line difference , i know that my whole life won't be enough to listen to supposed to be good stuff , i try to choose by my heart and my feelings , fuck mainstream , fuck music companies , i listen to what i want to listen , i don't give a fuck if it's POP , rock , rap or other " nickname for cd-shit-plastique " .

Rock on Pink :yes:

Re: Re: "Old" people and music sales

Danospano said:

Now, concerning what most teenagers deem "good music" and would have to disagree for the most part. While there are a few that listen to music rather than look at the music's performer, I would say that style has a greater influence than every before. I'm not saying that Elvis was any different, but I think a performer's appearance determines whether or not a teenager can relate to their music. Of course, I think this is a recipe for a shallow existence, but true. Most teens listen to what their friends are listening to, and unless U2 persuades the "cool kids" to listen to their music, the other kids won't either.

So then, to be "cool" does Bono need to shave his head again and get multiple tatoos and piercings?

I sure hope not. I think his looks (while cool and very distinguished) don't make that voice any more desirable, or any less for that matter. And thats what I am in it for, along with the sound of a band in full flight. :)

Re: Re: Re: "Old" people and music sales

little boy blue said:

So then, to be "cool" does Bono need to shave his head again and get multiple tatoos and piercings?

I sure hope not. I think his looks (while cool and very distinguished) don't make that voice any more desirable, or any less for that matter. And thats what I am in it for, along with the sound of a band in full flight. :)

I hope not either. Besides, the kind of person who would be impressed by that type of image would also be the kind who would make fun of old guys trying to be 'young and hip.' Besides, thankfully, that image and its'horrendous rapmetal sound are now on the way out at last! :D

~has nightmares of U2 looking and sounding like Slipknot:no:

Re: Re: Re: Re: "Old" people and music sales

Summer~Rain said:

I hope not either. Besides, the kind of person who would be impressed by that type of image would also be the kind who would make fun of old guys trying to be 'young and hip.' Besides, thankfully, that image and its'horrendous rapmetal sound are now on the way out at last! :D

~has nightmares of U2 looking and sounding like Slipknot:no:

So rapmetal is on it's way out now? I am wondering if that includes Incubus. They aren't exactly rap-metal, but they do have some strange "hip-hop" sounds in some songs. They said boy bands were on the way out too, but they still seem to linger....

Cheers:)

GypsyHeartgirl said:
AND we are less likely to share and 'burn' copies off of friends or the internet, or even steal them (sorry) than younger people.
i agree. although i do rip my cds, it's only for my personal use. i don't really listen to my cds anymore, since i have an mp3 player with a huge storage capacity. but, i know lots of people who do rip cds with the intent or trading, or even worse selling them to other people.

also, in another forum i read, there's a thread about stealing stuff from wal-mart! many of posts mention about how to steal cds and the like. so yes, i cannot say that lots of teens do steal cds.

I really don't think they are targeting anyone.
i have to disagree with this. i think they target everyone. not in a cop out way, but just that their music is universal and applies to everyone. i suppose on the same token, one could say they don't target anyone too.

i just think it sucks that (like melon said) music companies target the "12-17 and 18-49 demographics (more specifically, the 18-25 sub-demographic)." i don't fall into any demographic! i am between 18-25, but i don't like the music your typical 18-25 year old does. i listen to a classic rock station. why? because i don't want to listen to avril levigne, britney spears, or backstreet boys. so if i listen to a top 40 or even an adult contemporary station, i have to hear that.

my favourite bands formed and even released their first album before i was even born. some even broke up before (or around) i was born! i probably seem like a freak to everyone else on campus, walking around in my duran duran or U2 shirts, listening to roxy music, simple minds, and fleetwood mac.

so yeah...hope any of this made sense! :D

My nonsensical bullshit

little boy blue said:

No; Edge is the one that needs tattoos. He's got the arms for them.

Incubus sucks.

Teenagers didn't make any sense when I was one, and they don't make any sense now. :mac:

little boy blue said:

So rapmetal is on it's way out now? They said boy bands were on the way out too, but they still seem to linger....

Rapmetal has been "on its way" out for about a year. Boybands and Girlies linger on, nothing more.

A few months ago Electronica enjoyed some large scale rumours, but nothing of special there (incl Moby).

Most record companies aren't concerned with putting out quality music, just music that will sell. They clearly market to teenagers, as teenagers tend to spend their money on music, movies and fast food.
Sure, "older" people have more money to spend, but as a rule have many more importants things to spend it on. So while baby boomers certainly do buy CD's, they buy with much more discerning thought, whereas teens buy just what they are programmed to believe is hot (by MTV, radio, friends etc.), and often this decision is made cause of how a "band" looks (N'Sync, Britney etc.), and other factors which may have little to do with music.

Re: Re: Re: My nonsensical bullshit

martha said:

No, because they suck. But that guy's big red tattoo on his arm is bitchin'. It's just too bad he's so in love with himself.

*I* am in love with Brandon Boyd. He's beautiful, sexy and talented. He's the best looking newer rock star out there. Look at my sig, he doesn't look a thing like those gross, bald, multipierced and tattoed screaming monkeys who can't carry a tune. He has great hair and his 'accents' tasteful, not extreme. If he looked like those scumbag rapmetal guys I would not desire him as I do! :tongue:

Have any of you really heard any Incubus? Their songs are not like those rapmetal bands. They are melodic, tuneful and GOOD! Sure they have a little scratching in the background but it's not a big factor. They are a ROCK band! They are the best in the new generation of rock bands and will be around long after rapmetal is trashed and forgotten and made fun of. Examples of good songs: Warning, Drive and Wish You were here. PLEASE do not lump all new bands in the same category, they are not all alike. A lot of them are, but Incubus is a beautiful exception!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "Old" people and music sales

little boy blue said:

So rapmetal is on it's way out now? I am wondering if that includes Incubus. They aren't exactly rap-metal, but they do have some strange "hip-hop" sounds in some songs. They said boy bands were on the way out too, but they still seem to linger....

I think it is, and that's not just wishful thinking! It looks like the new thing coming in is The Hives, The Vibe, the White Stripes and The Strokes. MTV lauded them at the end of the video awards show so I think they have deterimined this will be the 'next big thing' and you know that usually means something.

The boy bands are slowly fading, as their original fans outgrow them and fewer and fewer of the younger girls take their place. Maybe those girls see them as lame and the fad will die out. I really think so. It happened with New Kids on the Block.

It's time for this change to happen- notice in EVERY previous decade until now, the first couple years mirrored the last years of the decade before it before developing its own personality. Remember? Hair metal was still big in the early 90's before grunge replaced it about '92. In the 80's, which are so known for hair metal, that genre did not dominate until much later in the decade. Look back to the 60's, the early 60's were more like the 50's until the British Invasion kicked in. The early 70's were still kind of hippyfied like the late 60's but not so later in the decade. So in the natural progression of things, music is about to change again. My guess is that the next thing in rock is going to be sort of a revival of the British Invasion look and sound, but with maybe more power, harder and more high tech guitars. I don't mind this at all. That look is cute on guys and the sound is good. Even if you're not thrilled with it, got to admit it's better than the rapmetal look and sound! ;)

Almost forgot- no I do not include Incubus in the rapmetal category, and I am kind of a fan.:)

Re: Re: Re: Re: My nonsensical bullshit

Desire4Bono said:

*I* am in love with Brandon Boyd. He's beautiful, sexy and talented. He's the best looking newer rock star out there. Look at my sig, he doesn't look a thing like those gross, bald, multipierced and tattoed screaming monkeys who can't carry a tune. He has great hair and his 'accents' tasteful, not extreme. If he looked like those scumbag rapmetal guys I would not desire him as I do! :tongue:

Well, I do not have these types of sexual feelings / lust toward Brandon Boyd, though I do admire his singing and his overall voice. However, if I were little girl blue, then.....

Have any of you really heard any Incubus?

In fact I do listen to them and like them.

Cheers :)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "Old" people and music sales

Summer~Rain said:

I think it is, and that's not just wishful thinking! It looks like the new thing coming in is The Hives, The Vibe, the White Stripes and The Strokes. MTV lauded them at the end of the video awards show so I think they have deterimined this will be the 'next big thing' and you know that usually means something.

That is a cool sound too, all of those bands you just mentioned. It along with new Weezer and Chilli Peppers somehow reminds me of the alt rock of the 90's before all of that crap-metal and boybands took over. The only thing missing is the 4 kings to return to their punk roots and thrash like the old days when some of us were just ideas and passionate exchanges.

:)

Back
Top Bottom