Old Grey Whistle Test last night..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Party Boy

Refugee
Toronto. From Kildare, Ireland originally.
Hello all,

Did anyone catch U2's performance on The Old Grey Whistle Test last night? Twas on BBC 2 (this is in UK!) from 1981, performing 11 O'Clock Tick Tock. Excellent performance! BBC are currently showing The Whistle Test Years and U2 have featured quite a bit!

Not sure how good I am at writing reviews, but here goes!

As background, Old Grey Whistle Test ran I think from late 60's till around 1985. Bands performed live on the show. The U2 clip shown last night was from 1981, probably before October came out as behind Larry's drum kit was large poster of Boy album cover.
They played 11 O'Clock Tick Tock which was performed pretty much how it has been performed lately, though Edge's guitar was not as prominant as it has been on recent versions, a little bit more jangley towards the end, without the raw aggression, while lyrically, it was pretty standard. However, the song did last a bit longer than usual, with various Edge solo's and Bono mumblings. Was a great performance and was really interesting seeing the band from around this era. Not sure how much live material people have seen from 80-82 period. Other than I will Follow from best of, this is probably the only other clip I have seen of the band performing live and even then, they seemed totally beyond their years. Bono was VERY into the performance, lots of enthusiasim, like he was living the song while singing it, lots of Bono dancing (who else do u know can dance like Bono!) that seemed totally out of beat with everything around him..

Anyway, hope this helps!

Actually it must have run beyond 1985 because U2 was on it in early 1987(maybe very late 1986) and play very early and rough versions of Exit, In God's Country and Trip Through Your Wires (TTYW had different lyrics at the time). They also did covers of People Get Ready and Southern Man.

Last edited:
I saw that too! I feel asleep in front of the TV and woke up to it! Through my sleepy haze I was thinking I recognise them from somewhere.....feck its U2! lol :crazy:

Back
Top Bottom