OK: who out there did NOT like ZooTV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Blue Room said:
I agree with Axver in that musically speaking, Lovetown was one of U2's best tours. The fact that everything wasnt so happy go lucky actually made for some intense performances IMO. I guess I dont get the point. For U2 to be happy the setlist needs to be static??? :lol: Actually, you may be onto something there! :lol:

Zoo was a great tour, its just not my personal favorite by any means.

I guess I don't get why having a so called "static" setlist is so bad. The vast majority of people only see 1 show per tour, and there was no internet in 1992 to tell us beforehand exactly what U2 would be playing! So how could someone go to a show back in '92 and just be like "damn, they did this same thing every show of the tour."

As U2 says, they put on the best show they can every night, and if that means doing much of the same thing night after night, so be it.

Last edited:
ImOuttaControl said:

I guess I don't get why having a so called "static" setlist is so bad. The vast majority of people only see 1 show per tour, and there was no internet in 1992 to tell us beforehand exactly what U2 would be playing! So how could someone go to a show back in '92 and just be like "damn, they did this same thing every show of the tour."

As U2 says, they put on the best show they can every night, and if that means doing much of the same thing night after night, so be it.

The static setlist doesnt really bother me either. But given the choice I would take variety. I think there is something to be said about the spontaneity and unpredictability of doing something different. As far as knowing the setlist beforehand on Zoo. Its not like it was medieval times!! :lol: There was tape trading, news articles, etc.. You could figure out or find out the setlist ahead of time VERY easily. I knew the setlist before my first Zoo show because of numerous sources. In fact, my local paper had an entire write up listing each song they played before my first show.

Like I said before, what I didnt like about Zoo was that the production was so over the top that the music almost became a secondary thing. I did not care for that. I got into U2 because of their music, not their image. I thought the production was cool and it was different. But I would take great music and variety over that.

Last edited:
ImOuttaControl said:

I find it interesting you always quote lovetown as the standard for U2 live when in reality, Lovetown is what nearly tore U2 apart and directly led U2 to destroy their image and rebuild it into what we saw with ZooTV. The band was at the time quoted to feeling that Lovetown was the most draining and creatively void time in their history of touring. The reason the band changed the setlist around so much was because they got so bored with the music they were playing that it wasn't fun anymore. Even Larry was quoted to say that if they continued to be the human jukeboxes that U2 turned into in the late 80's, he'd quit the band.

Thank goodness or Lovetown because it made U2 realize they were on the wrong path and moved them into the most incredible phase of their career in the 90's. :wink:

It's interesting how Bono's own quotes contradict you. They were "adventuring into new and different setlists" because they were playing so many nights in multiple cities (seven gigs in nine nights in Melbourne!), and on the tour, they were "throwing a party for ourselves and you" before they went away to "dream it all up again". The band may have been looking for new musical directions, but Lovetown certainly was not tearing them apart. Just listen to the bootlegs - Bono's vocals, when he wasn't ill, were untouchable, and Edge was going insane on the guitar. Nothing he's done before or after can touch his Desire solo, with the sole exclusion of One Tree Hill, 26 December 1989, the greatest live performance of any song by any band ever. The four Dublin Lovetown shows may just have been the musical pinnacle of U2's career.

U2 never should have changed. Lovetown was the ultimate. Forget stupid stage effects, we don't need them. Lovetown was about the music and no two concerts were the same. ZooTV lacked the spontaneity of Lovetown and that's why I'm not so keen on it.

Your referring to Larry's quotes about that tour. He was not happy, but when is Larry happy! :lol: Things were not fantastic on the Lovetown tour on a personal level for the band, but it was a great tour musically regardless. You guys are turning this into a Zoo versus Lovetown battle royale. Honestly, its not a big deal. I dont think anyone in this thread has said they hate Zoo or Lovetown. Its all about personal preferences.

ImOuttaControl, did you see the Zoo tour? If so, which show(s).

My only experience of ZooTV is the Sydney video, so I've no idea what it was like to be there. It's a great concert, although I have to say I'm not a big fan of the stage visuals; to me they look kinda cluttered and bitsy.

Peoples only complaints seem to be about setlists, and quite frankly that doesnt hold much weight in the general public because very few people are going to go out and collect bootlegs from 50 different concerts or go to 10 different shows on the tour...U2 expect to give the same quality performance night after night and that is best done with a standard setlist that isnt changed very much. The bootleg arguement holds very little weight to what a great show ZooTV was not only because of the concept but because they had the music to go behind it....and that is something that Lovetown didnt have in Rattle and Hum although it was a good album it wasnt a great album by U2 standards.

miss becky said:

Yes! March 26, 1992. Cleveland, Ohio. First leg of the tour.

And my first U2 concert. Also the best. Hands down. Never to be duplicated. No show I have seen since then has come close to the brilliance of Zoo TV. No show ever will.

Am I the only one here who saw a show??

Suddenly I feel old :reject:

The zootv tour is quite possibly the greatest visualization of an album EVER... It captured the sound of Achtung baby perfectly, and transformed it into a traveling freakshow hosted by U2.

And the tour had alot more depth, than most people think..
It was an event, not just another concert..

Watch more tv !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! child !!!!!!!!!!

Yahweh, how does a persons opinion on a tour they saw multiple times, in a thread that asks for fans individual opinions, not hold weight? Its almost like you are saying, the general public liked it, so the static setlist critique is not valid. Sorry, but I respectfully disagree with that point of view. Like I said multiple times, it wasnt the static setlist that I didnt care for on Zoo. It was that the live music was almost secondary to the production.

Its amazing to me, no one on this thread said they didnt like Zoo. I dont understand why people get so defensive, no one is even cutting on U2 in this thread. Zoo was great, its just not my favorite U2 tour.

I think Zoo TV was U2's best tour. It's definitely their most creative and interesting tour. The theme of technology taking over is a perfect excuse to have all those screens on the stage and having those clips there. Also a very rich theme and a current one, especially at that time. The Fly, Mirrorball and MacPhisto characters were a great way for U2 still be U2 and criticize what they think is wrong without being too preachy and keep the humor they were developing more then. The Fly gave Bono and excuse and complete freedom and space to embody all of the rock n' roll clichés without looking too obvious and making them exciting and also (I guess) not making him feel guilty about it.

They gave new life to old songs (Bullet The Blue Sky, Running To Stand Still, Pride, With Or Without You) and the new songs really evolved fastly in a way that usually takes more than one tour for them to grow so much (like Mysterious Ways). I don't think the technology drowned the songs but enhanced it a lot more (The Fly and Even Better than The Real Thing is a great example of it). I love the fact that they started the shows with so many new songs, that showed that the Achtung Baby songs were so good and strong that they could do the whole first part of the shows just with AB songs and they were so diverse that they would not need to reach out for an old song that had a different feel, they could already get that from an AB song. I don't have a problem with the same set list thing, U2 was looking for the perfect set list where the songs work better one after the other so they could give the best show possible in every place they played. The common fan can’t go to more than one show so what's the problem? And I guess if the band was still feeling good about the set list and did not feel repetitive to them then that's fine by me. I think they were so sick of playing some of their great old songs that it felt fresh until the end of the tour to only play the newer songs from AB and Zooropa.

The thing about Bad not being able to go longer than it is and as they used to do on the 80's is not true, just yesterday I was watching the Zoo TV Stockholm concert and they did a 9 minutes version of Bad there. A great version by the way that led into All I Want Is You which led into a great version of Bullet where the solo for it wasn’t fully developed as we know it and Edge improvised a lot at one point.

I also love the Lovetown tour, it’s my second favorite mainly because U2 was musically a lot sharper and they were a lot more rock n’ roll than before. The songs were more full and seemed to be more aggressive and they simply seemed to be better performers. Bono at that point was already accepting the rock star role in my opinion and not only liking it but feeling comfortable on that role. A lot of that went on to the Zoo TV in my opinion just in a different way. I think that if it weren’t for their experience on the Lovetown tour songs like The Fly, Until The End Of The World and the new version of Bullet wouldn’t exist as we know them.

The first U2 concert I saw was Zoo TV, front-row, Boston 2. It was the moment that took U2 from being a great band (a status cemented by R&H, JT, and AB -- the three albums I owned at the time) to The Best Band Ever. That show was fantastic -- So Cruel live, Sunday Bloody Sunday instead of Bad, etc. For me it is still the high-water mark any concert will be judged against.

People who slag the lack of variety within the setlist need to remember that U2 was reinventing itself at this point in time -- taking a conscious stand away from their anthemic past. As a result most of their songs had to be put in deep storage, which meant that they didn't have a large pool to draw from. What was Bono's quote? "To me, Achtung Baby is the sound of four men chopping down The Joshua Tree." There wasn't much for them to fall back on -- they weren't going to do what they'd done before. Add to that a show highly structured after a Broadway show, with characters and movements, add technology that they were learning as they went along (BP Fallon's book Faraway So Close talks about how five weeks before the show they were still learning the technology -- and two nights before the first show they threw out the Dead Cowboy/Bono winched up in a harness thing they wanted to do at the end of Running), and you have an idea of how restrictive that tour was.

And to those who say that Lovetown wasn't the hardest tour they've ever done, I refer you to both U2 Show (which documents Bono's vocal problems and the tensions they faced), and U2 at the End of the World, where Flanagan says that U2 had become fed up with being the world's greatest jukebox, their anthems reduced to sing alongs. "At one point they were so bored they came out and played the whole setlist backwards, and it didn't make a difference."

Sorry for the long post. As usual, interesting stuff, all....

Wow, again, who is slagging Zoo TV?? Show me one quote by anyone in this thread that said it was bad. I personally said I didnt mind the static setlist but my "preference" would be for variety.

Also, the Lovetown tour was hard for them. Its documented, but what does that have to do with the great performances on that tour??? The setlists on that tour were great and musically the band was as tight as ever.

I dont get where some of these posts are coming from or who they are responding to, it seems to be taking a part of what one person said and exagerrating it to the hilt to try to make some point.

Last edited:
yimou said:
It captured the sound of Achtung baby perfectly

I agree. It's not only u2's greatest tour (which says a lot) but it is the greatest tour ever. The tour was created off of the greatest album ever, and the visuals and technology were incredible.

Although I agree the setlist was rather concrete ever night, the "Achtung" songs sounded so good live. I never listen to the album versions of songs like "Love is Blindness" anymore becuase they were performed so well.

And then what they did with the older ones were amazing. "Angel" acoustically, "Bullet" was more fierce than ever, "RTSS" puts me at a loss of words, "Streets" was visually perfect.

Adam said that the thing about ZooTV was that every night anything was possible. That's why I dont mind the setlists, every concert to me is something different and they are all brilliant.

RademR said:
Adam said that the thing about ZooTV was that every night anything was possible.

Then why did they do the same boring thing over and over again? Now, from a general public standpoint, maybe static setlists aren't so bad, but ZooTV was restricted by the technology and lacked spontaneity. They didn't seem to have the freedom to play around and as a whole tour, it was musically lacking compared to other U2 tours.

I don't see why people are going on about the technology. Sure, it was INCREDIBLE, but this is meant to be a rock concert, not a lighting and visuals festival.

nathan1977 said:
The first U2 concert I saw was Zoo TV, front-row, Boston 2. It was the moment that took U2 from being a great band (a status cemented by R&H, JT, and AB -- the three albums I owned at the time) to The Best Band Ever. That show was fantastic -- So Cruel live, Sunday Bloody Sunday instead of Bad, etc. For me it is still the high-water mark any concert will be judged against.

Sorry for the long post. As usual, interesting stuff, all....

Amen to this! :up:

But...but...you got to hear So Cruel live? I am SO jealous! On the show I saw, on the first leg, the only two songs off AB they didn't play were Acrobat and So Cruel.

Axver said:
I don't see why people are going on about the technology. Sure, it was INCREDIBLE, but this is meant to be a rock concert, not a lighting and visuals festival.

Who's to say what it's "meant to be"? I wasn't aware that there were rules for playing a live show. Maybe you should share those rules with Peter Gabriel, who also uses a lot of visuals, to great effect.

Before Sgt. Peppers, albums were just supposed to be a collection of songs. They weren't supposed to fit together for any kind of reason. Good thing they broke that rule.

ZooTV was INTENDING to change people's views on what a live show was. Who are you do say it can't be used to comment on society and culture, while being supremely entertaining at the same time?

It's not the band's fault that people wanted to see it 10 times or buy a bunch of bootlegs. It wasn't intended for you. Anyone comparing it to a Broadway show is on the right track; it's musical theatre, meant to deliever a specific experience what isn't going to change very often.

U2 are artists, not some singer's touring band. Their ambition in the concert department is one of the things that have made them legendary and so unique.

laz

Last edited:
It showed the world that U2 is able to think outside of the box when it comes to a live show and also musically. U2 isnt just a great rock band they are a great band period that puts on an amazing live show. U2 isnt a rock band they are a band that is capable of breaking out of the box that people put them in maybe thats why they get slammed but that is also what makes them great. ZooTV was the height of this fucking up of the mainstream.

Axver said:

Then why did they do the same boring thing over and over again? Now, from a general public standpoint, maybe static setlists aren't so bad, but ZooTV was restricted by the technology and lacked spontaneity. They didn't seem to have the freedom to play around and as a whole tour, it was musically lacking compared to other U2 tours.

Maybe it's boring for you and it wasn’t for them. I'm sure that if they felt like it was getting too repetitive and boring they would do everything possible to go and change things.

I think the premise of Zoo TV was exactly to don’t be just another rock concert, to be more than just that, to be different than all the other tours that U2 had done and different than the tours other people were doing.

Put yourself in their position, after more than 10 years touring in some 6-7 tours where everything was pretty much the same maybe they wanted something else. And it’s not like they weren’t playing their instruments or doing anything on stage anymore and just giving people a visual show. One of the great things about that tour was that they were still pretty entertaining and giving great performances and at the same time had other stuff on stage or whatever to have fun with and give more to the people and to them I guess.

I don't agree that Zoo TV was "restricted by the technology and lacked spontaneity". It's not like every song they wanted to play had to have a different kind of video on the screen, they could just simply go for the screens showing them. Maybe they didn’t wanted to play around with the set lists, I’m sure that must be entertaining but maybe that’s not as entertaining to a musician as you might think. U2 always seemed like perfectionists to me, it’s possible that they wanted the perfect set list and didn't wanted to play some of their 80’s songs.

And by the way they did played around with the set lists, they played Sunday Bloody Sunday and Bad many times, I Will Follow in some England shows I think and One Tree Hill when they were in New Zeland so I guess if they wanted to play more songs they would have done so.

xana dew said:
Excuse me for not reading all the posts. I'm shithoused.

No, I did not like ZOO TV. It was amazing to look at, but U2 were gassed on booze when they played Tampa (my only show), and frankly I was too, but still, they only played for 90 minutes. I had to sit through Public Enemy and I dig not hip-hop.

Pop Mart was fantastic. That one I LOVED.

OMG! The first person I have heard that went to the Tampa ZooTv show and saw what I did! Bono was drunk out of his mind and I couldn't believe that other people didn't seem to notice it. My brother set up chairs that afternoon for the show and he said when sound check came along they couldn't find Bono anywhere and he only turned up right before the show drunk off his ass. Seems I caught on after he sang the same verse to Sunday Bloody Sunday a few times in a row, if memory serves me correctly!

It makes me kinda sad that I didn't get to see ZooTv in all it's glory. We didn't get McPhisto or MirrorBall man, just a drunk FLY! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom