Ok, time to admit. I can't/won't ever buy 'Boy' - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2002, 10:45 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 12:32 AM
Ok, time to admit. I can't/won't ever buy 'Boy'

I tink Im gonna shock u all, but I genuingly can't make myself buy it, AND War just to have every U2 album now.......as I told u all before I dont have those 2 plus Passengers........but Passengers really isnt U2....so like.

Why, I hear u ask.....? Well, no matter how many times I look at it, its going at a reasonable price, its their early stuff and many of u rave about how amazing it is, and that I should buy and listen, but I tink I'd be bored with it.......because Im already far-gone with U2, Im already so into the past (that I remember) and present.....I have absolutely no interest in their earlier stuff at all................amazing eh?

Im being really really honest here folks.

With October........it wasnt too bad, but it was their third album so, it felt like they had improved by then...anything earlier would sound punk/clash/rock..............I didnt even enjoy Out Of Control or Party much...................I just cant seem to listen and enjoy early U2...........

I suppose some of u are dying to say 'Well I cant seem to enjoy the latest U2!' Maybe so?

But, there ya go, I feel like Im the only one with this now, the only one who doesnt and wont ever have them.......its like Im missing something essential, but I wont apologise for how I feel...................

However I hope none of u turn round and say something like 'Call urself a U2 fan over this?'...........we are all U2 fans in many diff ways.

Old 06-12-2002, 10:49 AM   #2
The Fly

Why don't you buy it, if you don't like it or find it boring - take it back.

Or borrow it from someone - that's what I did - and then buy it.

Jo

Old 06-12-2002, 11:04 AM   #3
She wore graaaapes

Local Time: 06:32 PM
Re: Ok, time to admit. I can't/won't ever buy 'Boy'

Quote:
Originally posted by mad1
I tink Im gonna shock u all, but I genuingly can't make myself buy it, AND War just to have every U2 album now
Ok, who has maddie's mailing address?!?! For the love of God, someone please send her these CDs.

**starts collection to buy and mail CDs to maddie**
Old 06-12-2002, 11:17 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:02 PM
Sometimes I wish more u2 songs had the nice riffs and song structure the boy has.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:25 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:32 PM

I think you're missing out, maddie. Boy was one that took me maybe the longest to sit down and listen to, but it's really a catchy disc and very integral to the U2 canon, imho.

Just burn a copy and test drive it for a while!

Old 06-12-2002, 11:28 AM   #6
Acrobat

Local Time: 04:32 PM

Well, if you own October, you actually own their 2nd record, not their 3rd.

WAR is #3 and is a much better record, IMO, than October.

Buy it. You will not be sorry you did.

As for Boy, I can sort of take it or leave it - so I won't try to sell you on it.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:31 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
2nd..sorry

whoops

Well anyway I did test drive with October and found it..............a thumpy album with a dash of chilled mellow sound.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:34 AM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 05:32 PM

I'm shocked.........you truly do not enjoy "Boy"? I am in love with that album....
Have you listened to the album from beginning to end?

Old 06-12-2002, 11:35 AM   #9
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 04:32 PM
I Boy.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:39 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs.Clayton
I'm shocked.........you truly do not enjoy "Boy"? I am in love with that album....
Have you listened to the album from beginning to end?

no Ive never listened to Boy.............I see it in front of me going under a tenner and still wont buy it.....always tink about buyin it but dont/wont.................as I said I have heard a wee fingerful of their early songs but Im no happy about having an album........guaranteed I have only listened to October 3 times in the whole year Ive had it...........

Old 06-12-2002, 11:45 AM   #11
Refugee

Local Time: 05:32 PM

Maddie!!!!! "Boy" sounds so different than "October"...I get the feeling you're not too happy with "October".
They really sound different. If you're judging "early U2" from "October", don't! Trust me, "Boy" is different. They're young, and full of energy...
Please trust me......"Boy" and "October" are different....I listen to "Boy" 10 times more than I ever listen to "October"

Old 06-12-2002, 11:47 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

wink

while I, on the other hand, listen to October FAR more than Boy. lol.

However, since you brought up the subject, maddie, I have pulled out the CD to listen to it...haven't for quite some time. So thanks!

Old 06-12-2002, 12:04 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I used to absolutely loathe Boy. I hated their early stuff, too, Maddie. I had listened to Boy a grand total of 3 times. I hated it each time, and thought,"Oh well, I must just like their later stuff." But a couple months ago I put it in, actually LISTENED to it, and fell in love. Out of Control is a great song, one of my favourites. The album is rough, and Bono sounds very young, but it's good. Not my favourite, but it's most definitely worth hearing.

Just because you've heard a couple of their early songs and disliked them doesn't mean you wouldn't like the rest of the songs on the album. Give it a chance.
Old 06-12-2002, 12:06 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

There was a time I thought I didn't have to have all the remixes. Now I have to have them, no ifs ands or buts. Someday, I predict, Boy, War and Passengers will be must-haves for you, maddie. Perhaps during a long dry spell...imagine the fun of not having new U2 material for awhile and rediscovering old stuff instead. I like listening to War, especially, and remembering how fresh it sounded to me when my boyfriend first brought it home on vinyl. We played it to death. As I've confessed before, it was our get-it-on record in 1983 Sadly, I reconnected with him recently and he grew up and decided he hated Bono. Glad we didn't get married.
Old 06-12-2002, 12:08 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Sadly, I reconnected with him recently and he grew up and decided he hated Bono. Glad we didn't get married.
That, my dear, would have been a fate worse than 50 years of bad sex.

Old 06-12-2002, 12:13 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Ach I know....I know what youse are tryin to say....I should give it a chance.....maybe I should buy it.............have it.....

I just am so into the later music........somehow earlier stuff, well, a lot of anyones earlier stuff can bore me.......only a handful of earlier stuff thats been replayed and replayed (ie I Will Follow) are ones I see as modernised now..........well I mean 'popular and in demand'....good for concerts................

ARGH!

*Maddie feels the Interferencers crowdin round her urgin!*

waitya see I bet ur gonna have me buy and try now!

Oh btw......u SEE the VERY VERY beginnin of 'Tomorrow', who is that talkin durin the bagpipes and what they sayin?

Old 06-12-2002, 12:20 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Ach I know....I know what youse are tryin to say....I should give it a chance.....maybe I should buy it.............have it.....

I just am so into the later music........somehow earlier stuff, well, a lot of anyones earlier stuff can bore me.......only a handful of earlier stuff thats been replayed and replayed (ie I Will Follow) are ones I see as modernised now..........well I mean 'popular and in demand'....good for concerts................

ARGH!

*Maddie feels the Interferencers crowdin round her urgin!*

waitya see I bet ur gonna have me buy and try now!
BUY IT!!!!!!

*smooch*
Old 06-12-2002, 12:26 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
somehow earlier stuff, well, a lot of anyones earlier stuff can bore me.......
I feel just the opposite in most cases. I think many rock bands' best stuff is their earlier work, when they are younger, hungrier, and the sound is more raw, to me that's rock and roll.
As bands grow older, sometimes they evolve and grow (as U2 has), but so many seem to fade, the early work being their strongest.

Oh..and get Boy and War Maddie.
Old 06-12-2002, 12:39 PM   #19
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:32 PM
Oh, dear God. Buy Boy just for "I Will Follow." That song alone is worth the purchase price.

Join Amnesty.
Old 06-12-2002, 02:24 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4

That, my dear, would have been a fate worse than 50 years of bad sex.
you got that right, you lurker of my sex posts, you!