Ok, let's take a breath and get a...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolfwill23

War Child
LIFE!!!!!!

How come if ANYBODY writes ANYTHING the slightest thing negative about U2 in this forum, everybody freaks out and screams about how U2 could wipe poo on a CD and that would be fine with them. C'MON!

U2 is, by far, my favorite band. However, as an artist, you put things out there and people judge them. It's the nature of art. If nobody ever sad anything bad about Pop, I don't think ATYCLB would have been half the record it is. Also, you have to ask yourself, as I've stated before, why U2 are remixing Pop and Zooropa and NOT JT, AB, or ATYCLB. I think U2 knows they kind of "failed" with those two albums.

A "checks and balance" system is what "keeps it real."

Hmmm...I haven't been around the last couple days, what with moving back into my apartment and all, but anyway...

There are many people that would disagree with the statement that U2 "kind of failed" with Zooropa and Pop. I don't think that U2 think that they "failed" either.

Remixing something doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the original work...They've done remixes in the past, for songs like "Desere" and "Even Better Than the Real Thing."

Bah...I don't know where I'm going with this...

wertsie said:
There are many people that would disagree with the statement that U2 "kind of failed" with Zooropa and Pop. I don't think that U2 think that they "failed" either.
:up:

Something else I just thought of...

I was talking about Pop at one point with lazyboy, who lives in Ireland. He said that the album wasn't nearly as poorly received over there as it was here in the states. Any other Europeans care to comment?

Hey you guys - let's keep this friendly.

We all have opinions and we all have a right to express them. But do it nicely.

Big deal if some fans like anything U2 puts out. Big deal if some fans don't. It doesn't matter. :|

wolfwill23 said:
U2 is, by far, my favorite band. However, as an artist, you put things out there and people judge them. It's the nature of art. If nobody ever sad anything bad about Pop, I don't think ATYCLB would have been half the record it is. Also, you have to ask yourself, as I've stated before, why U2 are remixing Pop and Zooropa and NOT JT, AB, or ATYCLB. I think U2 knows they kind of "failed" with those two albums.

Well I think I see what you're saying. Personally I wouldn't want to say U2 (or some other band) are my favourites and so they have never/can never do ANYTHING that I don't like. Equally, I guess you have to make allowances for the fact that different fans have different opinions - so while your opinion might be that Zooropa and Pop are weak albums, another person might love both those albums and think maybe ATYCLB isn't the greatest record.

And for the record, I love Pop and Zooropa ;-) (Sorry, just had to say it!)

I don't think remixing means they feel those songs or albums were failures. They might just be fun songs to remix, being that they are a little more on the dance/electronic side of things.

And as for POP, that was U2's most succesful record at least singles-wise in Canada.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like a band (any band) would only want to remix songs that were popular in the first place!

Why are they remixing POP?

Was it such an embarrassment to them that they would not want to end their careers without "fixing it"?

Was it such a sheer work of genius that U2 felt it deserved a new interpretation?

Are U2 too lazyto record a full-length new material album and yet too active to just limit themselves to 2 new song in the new Best Of that they decided to go for a compromise and go into remixing?

Aside from WHY, I would also like to ask the reslease date.

U2 remixing POP ....WHY??? WHEN???

Cheers,

J

Re: Why are they remixing POP?

jick said:
Was it such an embarrassment to them that they would not want to end their careers without "fixing it"?

Was it such a sheer work of genius that U2 felt it deserved a new interpretation?

Are U2 too lazyto record a full-length new material album and yet too active to just limit themselves to 2 new song in the new Best Of that they decided to go for a compromise and go into remixing?

Aside from WHY, I would also like to ask the reslease date.

U2 remixing POP ....WHY??? WHEN???

Cheers,

J

U2 *are* currently working on a new album. This has been documented many times.

U2 are releasing another Greatest Hits Album later this year, containing some songs from Zooropa and POP. Quite often, bands will retool, revisit or reimagine songs when putting them on a compilation. It has been highly speculated that they are remixing entire albums, but I seriously doubt the truth to that.

The release date for the Greatest Hits is sometime in November.

wolfwill23 said:
De-nile ain't just a river in Egypt.

So just because we see a disagree with you we are in denial? I don't have a problem with you not liking Zooropa and Pop, but you disliking them and U2 remixing them doesn't mean they were failures. Of course I have asked myself why they are remixing them. Truth be told, I don't know. And unless they are privy to some sort of inside information, I'd imaging no one else on this forum really knows, either. Maybe they think the songs can be perfected. Maybe they think they were fine to begin with but see more potential in them. But questioning why U2 would want to remix songs I don't think need to be touched doesn't mean I all of a sudden realize that those songs and the albums they were on were 'failures.'

Also, I don't 'freak out' if someone says something negative about U2. I agree that we have a right and, in fact, duty to give our honest opinions on what we think of their work. It just so happens that a lot of people's honest opinions (including yours and mine) differ in this case. Can't we just leave it at that and not futily try to convince each other at every turn?

wolfwill23 said:
LIFE!!!!!!

How come if ANYBODY writes ANYTHING the slightest thing negative about U2 in this forum, everybody freaks out and screams about how U2 could wipe poo on a CD and that would be fine with them. C'MON!

I agree! I just said on another thread that it was really lame that you could diss anything on this forum, even other people's governments and religions, and each other personally, but if you say anything bad about POP you are branded, shunned, chastised and burned at the steak. You are made to feel :reject: and then people become :censored: and afraid to say anything! I have seen this happen! I said, who cares if I hate Pop, big deal! Then I said, it was my daughter's birthday (it was- her 13th!) and I had better things to do than play silly games. Well, by silly games, I meant when someone started a big Pro-POP thread to try to piss me off and draw a reaction from me, I wouldn't be here to see it. Well sure enough, one was started, but I was shocked and disappointed to see it wasn't by some giggling girl but by the admin. themselves! It was perpetuated by several mods and people who had to be PM'd to contribute, since they NEVER come to PLEBA (and why was the thread there anyway if not to make sure I saw it?) oh, and several aliases of the same woman, who is always actively involved in harassing me over Pop. The saddest thing is, that most of the girls who posted in it were very sincere and innocent and had no idea of the thread's original malicious intent.

Like I said, I totally expected such a thread to arise soon after my comments,- very typical:yawn: but I was very disappointed in who was responsible for it. I hate to echo the sentiments of several recently banned girls, but I was under the impression that the admin. should be neutral and fair and have more class than to let their biased views get in the way. I know either this post will be deleted or I will get banned, but I had to say it. One of the mods said when I say I don't like Pop it 'starts fights' well why is that? Because no one wants to hear it? Okay so if everybody knows it why is it such federal case? Stop trying to change my mind and shove it down my throat already! I should have a right to express that I don't like it, and since it's a well known fact, why fight about it? Why jump my case? I should not be the only one blamed for the 'fight'- if others would not fly off the handle there would be no fight, but of course things are unfair and biased so that happens. :grumpy:

What was the purpose of the thread, to piss me off? Hurt my feelings? Punish me? Shove it in my face how so many of you here love Pop? You think I didn't know that already? Just because 2 or 3 dozen people here (and their alters) out of the 10 million U2 fans worldwide say that, is that supposed to change my mind? Make me cry? Make you laugh? All it did was make me lose a mountain of respect for a couple of people I thought were very cool, and THAT'S what hurt me. :(

Still I was proven right- you can diss anything in this world on this website but POP or you will be flamed, chastised, punished, humiliated and beaten into submission. That's why everyone who has spoken out against it has either left the forum or has just shut up, and if some people hate me because I won't go away or shut up, that's sad. I am a very good person with a lot to bring to this forum as a longtime fan, and if my only crime is refusing to shut up about my dislike for Pop, so what, really?:rant: :confused:

The point is, the guy who posted this thread is 100% right!:up: We should have the right to discuss and criticize Pop or any album without fear of flames and intimidation and retribution!

Bono is now growing a standard mid-80's mullet and heading back to the studio to remix The Unforgettable Fire...does anybody have photographic evidence of THAT?:banghead:

Originally posted by NateDogg:
Bono is now growing a standard mid-80's mullet and heading back to the studio to remix The Unforgettable Fire...does anybody have photographic evidence of THAT?

Well I wish he really was, but actually he recently cut his hair shorter and is making a new album.

Photographic evidence- Bono working at the studio in July

3353339923232%7Ffp65%3Dot%3E2326%3D656%3D973%3Dxroqdf%3E23232%3C892%3C886ot1lsi

Ah, the hair and music of the 80's! Those were the days:cute::heart: :love: The best days! :)

Last edited:
Gypsy, Im not really sure what you're referring to as far as the thread being started "just to piss you off" is, but I REALLY don't think the majority of people in this forum do any of those things you say we do, just because you don't like a certain U2 album.
In fact, it is ridiculous that you would think such a thing.
As I said, I dont relaly know whats being going on over in PLEBA but to use words like
"fear of flames and intimidation and retribution" is a bit of an over reaction don't you think?

You don't like Pop? Big Deal.
I dont think many people lie awake at night tring to figure out why you don't. Im positive the majority of the Pop likers on this forum don't try and intimidate and harrass you about it either.
Its really sad that you would feel that way and feel that people being Pro Pop is even anything to do with you.
I like Pop, you don't. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

you can diss anything in this world on this website but POP or you will be flamed, chastised, punished, humiliated and beaten into submission

This has to be the most ridiculous statement I've read on this board.

Cowgirl said:
Gypsy, Im not really sure what you're referring to as far as the thread being started "just to piss you off" is, but I REALLY don't think the majority of people in this forum do any of those things you say we do, just because you don't like a certain U2 album.
In fact, it is ridiculous that you would think such a thing.
As I said, I dont relaly know whats being going on over in PLEBA but to use words like
"fear of flames and intimidation and retribution" is a bit of an over reaction don't you think?

You don't like Pop? Big Deal.
I dont think many people lie awake at night tring to figure out why you don't. Im positive the majority of the Pop likers on this forum don't try and intimidate and harrass you about it either.
Its really sad that you would feel that way and feel that people being Pro Pop is even anything to do with you.
I like Pop, you don't. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

This has to be the most ridiculous statement I've read on this board.

It's not ridiculous at all. It's true. I've been here over a year and a half and I know. Maybe most people here don't feel that way, I never said they did. But enough do. If it doesn't bother you, I'm glad. But it's obvious to anyone who has been paying attention that what I said has been true in many cases. The way people are treated here for dissing Pop is what has been ridiculous!!!!! Yes it is sad I feel that way, but I have good reason to. It's true.

I totally expected this, and I totally expect at least a dozen more posts like it, gypsy you're ridiculous, paraonoid, I don't see that, etc,etc, ad nauseum. Hey, I have not formed my opinion lightly or frivilously. It was earned and burned over time and much past experience. I do realize that the more people come in to say I'm full of shit the more the average uninformed populous will believe it, and I do realize NO ONE will defend me even if they know exactly what I'm talking about, buy hey. I've seen it all. There is nothing you can throw at me that I haven't already heard. I've said my peace, anything you try to tell me now is insignificant because I know better, and so do lots of people though they will never admit it. Oh well, I had to get that out, and after what this guy said it seemed the perfect place. He had to have a reason to post what he did, so that's proof some people here can see the ridiculous blind worship and/or bashing of those who say anything against an album. I've said my peace, I know what they hell I'm talking about, I'm not talking out my ass. Nothing anyone can say is going to tell me I'm wrong, because I know I'm not. There is no need to even discuss it anymore. I've said all I wanted to say.

I do hope that before anyone else posts against me here they will at least consider everythng I have written in this post. Please feel free to PM me or email me if you would like to discuss it further. I really wouldn't like to, but I will to set the record straight on misconceptions and unfair negative opinions about me.

Last edited:
Well you obviously dont care for my opinion as you say its insignificant.
I myself have been here since July 2000, just so you know.
I did not say you were ridiculous, I said the things you'd said were. There is a difference.

What the person who started this thread said has nothing to do with my post. I don't believe in blind worship of any band either. I quite often criticize U2. I didn't think ATYCLB was the greatest album ever and some parts of it even bored me. But that is my opinion and if someone doesn't like me for that, then so be it.
I certainly wouldn't accuse members of this forum of being blind followers or worshippers though if they disagree with me, and I know there are many who do.

I'd like to know how you have been treated exactly as you say, just because you don't like a U2 album.
It sounds all rather absurd to me.

Cowgirl said:

I'd like to know how you have been treated exactly as you say, just because you don't like a U2 album.
It sounds all rather absurd to me.

Yes, it is VERY absurd, but it has happened, and not just to me. I do not have time to tell the entire tale here, but if you PM me I will get back to you as soon as possible. As I said, I did not form my opinion lightly or frivilously and there are plenty here who know exactly what I am talking about.

Well, Im really not that concerned. I think if you've got something to say it can be said here. I really dont care to talk about it privately to be honest.

Okay, I'm going to step in here now because I do believe you should be able to discuss what you want to discuss about certain albums without fear of being attacked.

And Gypsy, I would ask that next time you feel a public flogging has arisen over someone's like/dislike of a particular album/song/video/tour, then perhaps you should PM a Mod so that we can take care of it, and ask the "floggers" to simmer down. If you feel that there are no Mods you can deal with - than perhaps we haven't met. You can always PM me if you would like to complain about posts or posters and I will take care of it.

EYKIW is and should be a place for everyone to peaceably discuss all things U2. If you feel that you cannot come here and feel comfortable, than perhaps you should say something about it so peace is restored. And Gypsy, I will apologize if you feel you have been targeted or that someone started a thread to anger you - I'm not sure how accurate that assertion is, however, as I am a Mod here, I will be paying even more close attention here than I already pay.

U2 is a passionately loved band, and there are always going to be posters who fervently believe their opinion is the only one. I would suggest in the future to you, Gypsy, and all the silent people you alluded to - to either ignore the floggers and go on about your business, or come to a Mod you are comfortable with so that you can post here again.

STOP THE MADNESS!!!!

Seriously...I don't understand why anytime someone mentions POP it turns into this big fight. There's no reason for it. Some of us love it (like me), others don't. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having different opinions...And I also have to disagree that you can diss anything on this forum but Pop. That's just not true.

Of course, I really don't like dissing anything U2-related...

Gypsy- I know you have felt persecuted because of your open hatred for Pop. And I do recall hurtful statements that were hurled your way regarding this. I'm not going to pretend that the pro-Pop, anti-Pop arguments never got ugly. But, first, the thread you speak of was an isolated incident. And, second, the ugliness cuts both ways. You say that anyone on the board who says something bad about Pop risks being "branded, shunned, chastised and burned at the steak." Well, everyone who posts something pro-Pop risks having you, first, drop in and trash the album and, second, if they take offense to this, accuse them of trying to silence anyone with a differing opinion. Can you see why people might react negatively to this? What if every time someone started a Joshua Tree appreciation thread, I jumped in and trashed the album but then told people they didn't have the right to get pissed because I have the right to my opinion, dammit. Of course, I'd never do this because I adore The Joshua Tree, but do you see my point?

If there is a pro-POP thread, isn't it possible for you to simply ignore it? Don't go in and read it if you hate the album so much. If you don't want to be chastized for hating it, don't drop in in the middle of a celebration of it just to say how much you loathe it. I'm not saying you don't have the right to express your opinion. Of course you do. But why is it necessary to express it at every turn, especially when you know it's going to start a conflict?

EDIT: Hello Angel, I didn't see your post until after I posted, so please don't think I'm needlessly trying to extend the argument. I just felt this needed to be said.

Last edited:
wolfwill23 said:
LIFE!!!!!!

I think getting worked up about anything in this forum is slightly bizzarre (sp?)

You may think U2 "failed" with Zooropa and Pop. And yet the band has gone on record saying how proud they are of those two albums, and the POPMART tour. Sure, maybe they feel the albums could've been mixed better. I wouldn't argue with them on that one. But I don't believe they think they failed. But then again, you know what they say about opinions and assholes......

But you're right, people tend to get a bit proctective of the band around here sometimes. But what do you expect, it IS a U2 forum. You're talking about a community made up almost entirely of hardcore fans. Not surprising. I'd suggest letting it run off your back and worrying about more important things, like if it's going to rain anymore today and what the bonus tracks on the new single will be ;)

well u asked for it

Speaking of remixing with POP and Zooropa , i have nothing against remixing songs from it for " best of " , b-sides , soundtracks , but i'm strongly against re-releasing COMPLETE ALBUMS again . you can 't cut the past , even if some dorks don't like it . POP was great , and if you ask me , ATYCLb deserves much less . it's like the difference between sexy sugar girl age of 18-28 ( pop&ZOOropa ) and 38 year old woman with 3 kids to feed :yuck: :yuck: . media hype doesn't concern me , what concern me is music from speakers , and on pop and zooropa it's twice more interesting then on ATYCLB , perhaps the best cure for U2 now will some gigs with no theme .

Re: well u asked for it

pinkfloyd said:
Speaking of remixing with POP and Zooropa , i have nothing against remixing songs from it for " best of " , b-sides , soundtracks , but i'm strongly against re-releasing COMPLETE ALBUMS again . you can 't cut the past , even if some dorks don't like it . POP was great , and if you ask me , ATYCLb deserves much less . it's like the difference between sexy sugar girl age of 18-28 ( pop&ZOOropa ) and 38 year old woman with 3 kids to feed :yuck: :yuck: . media hype doesn't concern me , what concern me is music from speakers , and on pop and zooropa it's twice more interesting then on ATYCLB , perhaps the best cure for U2 now will some gigs with no theme .

Confirmed FACT: U2 are releasing another Best Of compilation later this year. This will contain tracks from albums within the 1990-2000 period.

Confirmed FACT: U2 are in the midst of recording a new album.

Unconfirmed weird RUMOR: U2 are remixing complete albums, namely Pop and Zooropa.

Please try and spend energy on discussing things that have actually been confirmed. As the person who posts news around here, I have yet to see U2 confirm they are remixing entire albums. Edge has said in the past that he would like remix many things because he is never truly happy with the finished mix in the studio, but with all that they have going on right now, I seriously doubt they are doing so.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom