Ok, heres a critism directed at some of you

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ACROB@T

I serve MacPhisto
I've noticed recently a lot of people in here and elswhere have been finding the need to put down the current music industry, and fair enough with regards to the charts, it does contain music not to everyones tastes...however...just to keep it short and sweet some of you are way off the mark...have you ever considered looking beyond the charts...you may be suprised how much talent, and good music is being made outside popularity polls like the Top 75..just thought I would put things into perspective...as Melon would say...discuss!

------------------
I am Colorblind,
coffee black and egg white, Pull me out from inside, I am ready, I am ready, I am ready I am

Yeah of course there is good music. There is always good music.

I feel we have the right to be upset that hardly anyone gets to hear the good music and we are all subjected to crap crap crap on many radio stations not to mention mtv.

Yeah it's just upsetting that we and others aren't made more aware of it in the forefront of musical industry... rather it remains in the back rooms of record stores while the front windows are cluttered with "Black and Blue" and other sugar coated pieces of work.

Ofcourse, some wouldn't complain--my brother is an example: he seems to like music that poeple don't know about, regardless of what music they know about at the time. I guess it's one of his musical taste requirements... it has to be insignificant. He used to like Green Day, but when they became big, he seemed to drop them.
tongue.gif

However if good music is made exposed then I think society's IQ will raise significantly
biggrin.gif

------------------
"If I am close to the music, and you are close to the music, we are close to each other." -Bono

Remember when stations played Nirvana? Remember when MTV wouldn't play NKOTB videos because they thought the band was a marketing phenomenom and didn't have alot fo talent? I do. Living in NYC, you would think stations hear would play an eclectic amount of music but its all crap. There is no alternative station here at all. There is no exposure to great music. I have to dig around to find stuff. When I'm buying a Coldplay album [which is amazing] becuase I heard it was good from this board, something is wrong.

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980

A major if not the major reason that alot of good music is systematically being overlooked is because record companies are not doing enough to promote the record & singles. I am thankful that has not happened to U2, but didn't that happen to Sting's last record. It was not getting any radio airplay, was never pushed by his label and consequently no one even knew he had a new record out!
The industry itself if screwed up! The companies all want the "in" sound, they are overlooking talent for dollar signs!

------------------
"She is the dreamer, she's imagination..."

"Take the colours of my imagination, take the scent hanging in the air..."

*+*MaRiA*+*

mblah.gif

------------------
~*Everybody's talkin' about POP Musik!*~

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica* .???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

It's just about the money. And frankly, can you really blame the record companies? In our "survivial of the fittest" capitalist economy, taking risks doesn't pay off. When companies lose money, the finger pointing begins. As a result, the record labels can't always afford to take chances on unknown acts, or to continue to support acts that aren't selling well.

Currently, only about 5% of all albums released actually turn a profit. That means that those few money-makers have to make a lot of money. That's why they cram those few acts down our throats. It's much more economical to give heavy rotation to a few acts than to give medium rotation to a lot of acts.

In the end, if you want better music, you'll have to find it yourself. If you want, it can be your little secret. I just hate when people complain that a band has sold-out when they become big. They just want a piece of the pie, and selling albums is the only way they'll get it.

------------------
Change is the only constant

yeah, there still is some good music out there: Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Johnny Cash

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I have got to be honest after spending a bit of time last year in America I was shocked at how poor the radio was. Its either top 40, old rock or christian stuff.

I feel lucky that here in the Uk we have a natinal Radio Station that pushes new music. Love her or loathe her Macy Grey was pushed over here a year or so before she hit in the US.

Jo Whiley on Radio One really pushes new music with Macy, David Grey, Craig David Coldplay and don't forget the times U2 have played live on Radio One. Even Mark and Lard have great taste in Music. Then you have Westwood, The Dream Team, Dave Pearce. The best thing that happened to Radio One was getting rid of all the old school five years ago.

Love the new Redman single its played constant on Radio One.

I agree that most (vast majority of) radio stations in the States are unlistenable. I HIGHLY encourage you to search out your local college or independent station. Most colleges have really eclectic stations (the DJs actually pick the music, as opposed to a marketing person), and you can be exposed to some great (if odd) stuff. If you can't find a good one locally, look for a college station on the internet; the station at Carnegie Mellon University here in Pittsburgh is really good, if you need a place to start: http://www.wrct.com .

the industry works in cycles and every decade there is a bleak period where crap music is produced and mass marketed. then there is always something to come along and shake things up a bit. then it's back to the same old same old.

so just wait it out.
but also there is an underground, there are great indie artists out there and great local bands. so you don't always have to buy what they're trying to feed you. those big nasty corporations.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Back
Top Bottom