Oh my Jesus, Crumbs' outro!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
This part of Crumbs from 4:24 unward till the end is absolutley stunning, and easily oen of the best outros to any U2 song ever. The entire song itself is also a favorite form the album. Edge's epic guitar riff at the end with the choir-like vocal backing is amazing.

I agree, it is a very good ending. I especially enjoy the last couple notes.

This song is the song on the album that I'm not so sure of. Almost every review labeled this as a "weak" track, and I even think I remember some review saying it sounded like a 60's rock song in the vein of The Who's "Substitute." But, this song, I think, would really be an amazing single and tour closer. Even the title hints that it's just a crumb from their table. It needs a bigger name, like "Original Of The Species" or "Miracle Drug."

But the end is extremely amazing with the "oh ha haa"s and all of that. I really like on the DVD how Bono sings some African skat singing during the "cool down mama" part. :bono: :drool:

I can't understand why some people say 'Crumbs' is a weak track. It's my favourite on the album. My favourite part is when Bono shouts 'yeah!' in it.
Strange that because my other best bit on the album is when he screams in 'All because of you'!!:)

After reading so many reviews, and critics saying it's not the best, and "it goes nowhere", I wasnt expecting much. And probably it was that reason that I had to let it grow on me..But it only took 3 or 4 listens, and I loved it!

It's one of my favorites!!!!! And I love the outro, that solo at the end is very powerfull with the harmonic voices, it's a classic U2 ending, kinda gospel a little. This song has a lot of soul! It's going to sound great live me thinks! :yes:

'crumbs' is fabulous. huge guitar, especially at the end.

my first impression of the song was that it was one of the weaker tracks on the bomb, but i just needed to listen one more time to get it. i think i was distracted by the twinkling chime sounds or something.

boystupidboy said:
Tracks 6,7,8 are poor,big time fillers, the rest of the album is a humdinger:drool: :drool:
ATB-LEE-U2COVENTRYENGLANDUK

I guess your name really is fitting isn't it? :wink: No, all kidding aside, I think these are three of the strongest tracks on the album. Just because you dont like them doesn't make them filler. Filler is insubstantial, meandering music with no real point. All Because of You, A Man and a Woman, and the breath-taking Crumbs From Your Table are by no stretch of the imagination filler.

Yeah, Crumbs has one of the best, deep-meaning, choruses I've heard in a long time:

You speak of signs and wonders
I need something other
I would believe, if I was able
But I'm waiting for Crumbs From Your Table

That gets me everytime....

It's really a brilliant song...I see it as a kind of letter from the third-world to us here in the prosperous world. Is that correct? I had a moment in the car, when it just hit me for the first time that this is what it could be...and now the song has sooo much more weight to it

Last edited:
Crumbs is special to me because unlike the vast majority of u2 songs, it got my approval from the very first listen and was the standout track from the first listen to the entire album. Still love it.

Crumbs however, is by no means innovative or different from anything u2 have done before. It's a pretty straight forward rock and roll song in terms of song structure. It's very All that you cant leave behind i reckon, with a hint of Achtung and Unforgettable fire. I can't help but think of it as Walk On Part 2 and that is by no means a bad thing.

Perhaps it's considered weak because it sounds very much like its from the previous album and doesn't showcase the musical audacity u2 have become renowned for. Despite this, it is one of the most u2 sounding songs you could hope to hear, and for me personally i think of it as the song the boys have been trying to write for some time.

The lyrics are typically Bono, and despite not being as deep as some other songs, they are cryptically personal and moving.

I love the outro too but what gets my juices flowing just as much is the awesome intro...fantastic!

It would be a great single...

crumbs took me a while to get into, but i expect it to explode on tour. it's got a great live feel, and i can see Bono insisting on playing this one live and loud -- he'll try and sell it every single night even though this is probably one of the least popular album tracks (think "new york").

crumbs is dull. it's got "beer run" written all over it if they choose to play it live.

According to Larry on the DVD, he doesn't remember even recording Crumbs. :eyebrow: (But Larry you sound so good in this song) Bono's said it's the first song they've ever recorded totally pissed... I say get bombed more often. :drool:
Last I heard there are no RUI fines (recording under the influence) :wink:
This track never had to grow on me, loved it from first listen. :up:
I also agree it would make a great single. :yes:

angelordevil said:
It's really a brilliant song...I see it as a kind of letter from the third-world to us here in the prosperous world. Is that correct? I had a moment in the car, when it just hit me for the first time that this is what it could be...and now the song has sooo much more weight to it

:yes: It's a political song, definitely. About the developed world (specifically US?) not doing enough for the Third world.

"would you deny from others what you demand for yourself?" "where you live should not decide whether you live or whether you die" Along with the chorus some powerful lines there.

the outro of Crumbs is almost exactly the outro to Until the End of the World. I don't think the Walk On similarities hold up at all … so the guitar sounds similar … so do 3/4 of U2s songs!

EXIT_TO_THE_NORTH said:
the outro of Crumbs is almost exactly the outro to Until the End of the World. I don't think the Walk On similarities hold up at all … so the guitar sounds similar … so do 3/4 of U2s songs!

Well, I can see the references I think because the riff from 3:14 - 3:35 is borrowed from Walk On.

Back
Top Bottom