OFFICIAL - U2.Com - New Album Out In 2009 Pt. 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2008, 10:27 AM   #1
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 04:10 PM
OFFICIAL - U2.Com - New Album Out In 2009 Pt. 2

Please continue discussing in this thread.

Previous thread:
http://forum.interference.com/f196/o...-a-189387.html

---------------------------

U2.com | Official News

'We want 2009 to be our year'

'We’ve hit a rich songwriting vein and we don’t want to stop.' Bono has been talking to U2.Com about how the songs are shaping up for the new record and plans for 2009 to be their year.

‘This is our chance for us to defy gravity once again, ‘ explains Bono, calling in from a break in recording sessions in the south of France. ‘ We have what it takes, we have the songs, new rhythms and a guitar player who is not ready to re-enter earth's atmosphere until he's taken a slice of the moon!
'It's been fun, it's been maddening... there have been injuries and recoveries, no babies born that I know of, but this one is nearly ready for the new year of 2009.'

The band have been writing and recording the follow-up to ‘How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb’ since last year, and the feeling is that they’ve hit a creative groove so there are no plans to stop. Everyone, he says, is excited about where the recording is taking them.

‘When we set out on this record it was Larry who came up with the plan not to have a plan. He put up this idea that wouldn’t it be great just to make music for its own sake, not for the purpose of a live show or on album but just to see what we’re capable of…’

It’s an idea that’s paid off. Following sessions in Morocco, in Dublin and through the summer in France, the band have written ‘fifty or sixty’ tracks. And counting.

‘We’ve hit a rich songwriting vein,’ he explains. ‘It gets a bit dark down here but looks like we've found diamonds not coal. I thought a while back we might have the album wrapped by now, but why come up above ground now if there's more priceless stuff to be found?

For now, they’re keeping a promise they made to themselves when they started writing: ‘We said to each other that if we got to the great place then we wouldn’t stop…’

So the writing and recording continues and while they now know what shape most of the album will take, they're not leaving the studio just yet.

‘We know we have to emerge soon but we also know that people don’t want another U2 album unless it is our best ever album. It has to be our most innovative, our most challenging … or what’s the point ?’

They have no doubts that it will be as important a release for U2 as any. ‘It’s a brand new chapter for us, and everyone we’ve played the tracks to has said that musically it feels like another departure.

‘The last two records were very personal, with a kind of three piece at their heart, the primary colours of rock - bass, guitars and drum. But what we’re about now is of the same order as the transition that took us from The Joshua Tree to Achtung Baby.’

He also mentions that the recording in Morocco was the first time the band have worked in a studio open to the sky: ‘On that track you can hear the sound of a swallows nest close to the building - it’s beautiful.’

Longtime collaborators Danny Lanois and Brian Eno have joined the band at different times, and, more recently, Steve Lillywhite – usually a tell-tale sign that a record is nearly done. ‘Steve has that ear for a top line melody and a good hook.’

But while Bono is itching to get the music out he says it’s going to be early 2009 when we first get to hear the songs.

‘I’m always the one who underestimates how easy it is to simply 'put out the songs now', if it was just up to me they’d be out already! But early next year people will be able to start hearing what we’ve been doing. We want 2009 to be our year, so we’re going to start making an impression very early on …’

Old 09-04-2008, 10:35 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:10 PM
I like this quote from Billboard:

One source who has heard several of the works-in-progress describes them to Billboard as "amazing and a little out there. I hope they don't change anything."

Old 09-04-2008, 10:35 AM   #3
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:10 AM
it is fine with me. I just want the album to have that magical side that ATYCLB e HTDAAB lack.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:37 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:10 PM
Let me say: If the album comes out in Jan09 or March09 or whatever, that would be awesome; break up the monotony of the Fall release/holiday cash in.
Plus, that time of year (Jan-March) sucks anyways, so it would be super cool to have the album then.

But...I can easily see this sliding back...and back...and then finally them just saying screw it, Nov09 it is. I sincerely hope not, but it's not an impossible thought. We were in the same boat in sept03, hoping for a Nov03 release....and we know what happened.

No on is picking up my point that if they're still writing, it could take months just to get one song recorded, much less a few more songs......hence, Jan09 is out of the question. Hell, I'm going on record saying right now that Jan09 is OUT.
March? Maybe. I hope so.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Ok again, why would Bono "OFFCIALLY" say early 2009 then?
Old 09-04-2008, 10:47 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

LOL.......yeah, why would Bono exaggerate anything?

He's never been known to do that. Ever.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:49 AM   #7
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:10 AM
March is still ealry year, right?
Old 09-04-2008, 10:56 AM   #8
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post

One source who has heard several of the works-in-progress describes them to Billboard as "amazing and a little out there. I hope they don't change anything."
well, the beach clips, although really cool, were not "out there" by any means...

Maybe Bono didn't want to frighten the guests at Edge's birthday party, so he played the "normal" songs.

generally, a delayed release for an album is not good news, but i am hopeful it's for the better.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:31 AM   #9
War Child

Local Time: 07:10 PM
One thing that occured to me is that Bono has such a bizarre and indirect way of talking sometimes that when he says "you'll be able to hear the new songs in early 2009" or whatever, he might be referring to the tour, as opposed to the album. Who knows.

I don't think that's likely, but then again, going by the email he sent to Rolling Stone about the Boy reissue, sometimes he doesn't make a bit of damn sense when he's writing.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:32 AM   #10
The Fly

Why was nolineonthehorizon.com registered so early? Why was Nov. 18 leaked as a possible release date earlier this year? Too many fishy things about this. I can't help but think that something has gone drastically wrong . . . like the label hearing the songs for the first time and telling the band they they stunk, thus causing these unexpected delays. The story on U2.com was all PR, trying to put an overly positive spin on what must have been terrible news.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:33 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

An early 2009 release doesnt bother me too much. There's plenty of other things coming out in the rest of 08 to keep me going.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:42 AM   #12
The Male

Local Time: 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post

I love how this supposedly finished album suddenly became a work-in-progress in, like, a day.

Now.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:02 PM   #13
New Yorker

There has to be some other reason than just "were making so much good music that all of the sudden we feel the need to make 90 instead of 60 songs for an album". You guys can always keep jamming out.... if you really have 50 to 60 songs you cant choose enough out of that?! I smell bullshit.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:03 PM   #14
The Fly

furthermore, this seems eerily similar to what occurred in Sep of 1996 when Pop was on the verge of being released. It was pushed back to March 1997 and we all know what circumstances came to light after the fact once Pop was released. The record was widely perceived to be a dud, it was rushed, and was only released due to intense pressure from the label. Hope we're not seeing that same game played out here.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:07 PM   #15
War Child

Local Time: 07:10 PM
Well, it doesn't seem like that's what's going on, unless everybody involved is lying through their teeth.