OFFICIAL - U2.Com - New Album Out In 2009 Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rob33 the facts on the table and the statements supported a 2008 release.

Indeed.

Its tough to ignore official published reports of a video being shot and of the bands own official website giving out updates and video snippets just to name a few things that made me believe the album would be out this year.

I think what we saw was a big sudden jerk of the wheel and a big u-turn on the plans last minute.

I believe they had every intention to release that album in November of this year right up until the end of August.

Rob33 the facts on the table and the statements supported a 2008 release.

the only thing we got that should've really convinced us that there was an album coming before Christmas was Paul McG saying October release date was what they were looking out, and others saying Oct./Nov....

But making inferences based on "this is our most complete and radical," "best thing ever done with U2," "a great innovative record," "potential to be our best," "Final Drive," all of the U2.com clips and all of the beach clips, and coming to the conclusion that it's going to be a pre-Christmas release date is called getting consumed by the hype, and interference just exacerbating the situation.

such as...

This comes to mind.

Paul McGuinness reveals U2 release date

Hot Press, June 12, 2008

U2 manager Paul McGuinness has been dropping hints about the release of the new U2 album, which is provisionally planned for October.

Paul McGuinness has told the BBC that the release date for the new U2 album is "not clear yet but I would think towards the end of October. We will obviously work with whatever technology is available to make the release as interesting as possible. But for U2, physical sales are still an enormous part of our business and we still sell a lot of actual CDs."

Asked what he thought of the "pay what you like" online release Radiohead gave In Rainbows, McGuinness profered that it "to some extent backfired. 60 to 70% of the people who downloaded the record stole it anyway, even though it was available for free."

© Hot Press, 2008.

Paul $$ and one of the producers along with members of the band coming out and saying its almost ready, watch this space oct/nov.

Dont you follow media statements ?

Um, sorry, they didn't. The Oct/Nov thing was something fans were speculating about, something the media picked up. No one came out and confirmed a fall release date. Paul McGuiness said in an interview they were "aiming" for a fall release, that's all. There were no official statements made.

Come on. If you've read this section even once in the past month, you know what everyone was basing the date on. You can choose not to believe that any information we had was valid, but it certainly was at the time.

Elfa wasn't reading. He was busy making fun of this section elsewhere. :wink:

If you mean facts and statements attributed to non-members of U2 then you have a valid point. :huh:

Now either you're trying to be coy or maybe you really haven't read anything at all on this site for a while...but there has been more than enough noise coming out of the U2 camp through interviews and from their website pointing to a 2008 release.

I just spoke about this in my previous post.

Paul $$ and one of the producers along with members of the band coming out and saying its almost ready, watch this space oct/nov.

Dont you follow media statements ?

you have comments from Paul, comments from the producers and members of the band telling people on the streets... oh and let's not forget the HMV website ( :rolleyes: )

How are these facts? Did anyone of these people actually say IT WILL BE RELEASED ON XX DAY?

No. There was a lot of "it's almost finished" "we are looking at a date of November 18", etc, etc...

This is all very circumstantial if you ask me, nothing concrete...

Um, sorry, they didn't.

Um yeah, they did. Unless, of course, "3-4 weeks left to go", "I'm thinking an October release", and "the band is celebrating the completion of their new album" means that it wasn't even close to being done. Then you have a point.

Am I the only one who is completely OK with them releasing the album only next year? I don't know, maybe it's because I mostly listen to "retired"/dead singers and separated bands, so I don't expect anything anyway... :lol: As long as I know the album will be out eventually...
But I understand why some of you are upset...

No you're not alone. It's Ok if they want to releae it next year.

I hope hte band isn't pissed of too much by those negative reactions. If they call it quits we won't get anything at all.

This quote is useless:

Paul McGuinness reveals U2 release date

Hot Press, June 12, 2008

U2 manager Paul McGuinness has been dropping hints about the release of the new U2 album, which is provisionally planned for October.

Paul McGuinness has told the BBC that the release date for the new U2 album is "not clear yet but I would think towards the end of October. We will obviously work with whatever technology is available to make the release as interesting as possible. But for U2, physical sales are still an enormous part of our business and we still sell a lot of actual CDs."

Asked what he thought of the "pay what you like" online release Radiohead gave In Rainbows, McGuinness profered that it "to some extent backfired. 60 to 70% of the people who downloaded the record stole it anyway, even though it was available for free."

© Hot Press, 2008.

"not clear yet"

"I would think towards the end of October"

That's it, if I ever go to court none of you guys are going to be my lawyers... :tsk:

C'MON! Where are these facts?!

^ Still not an official statement. Of course McGuiness would say that they PLAN a release before Christmas, but read the Hotpress article posted above: "provisionally", "not clear yet", "I would think" etc. don't sound exactly like an official confirmation.

And band members haven't come out and confirmed anything either.

I'm not saying the album wasn't destined for fall 2008, I feel they were aiming at releasing it before Christmas, but you all act as if we had already an official press release with title, definite release date and all.

Um yeah, they did. Unless, of course, "3-4 weeks left to go", "I'm thinking an October release", and "the band is celebrating the completion of their new album" means that it wasn't even close to being done. Then you have a point.

I agree.

They totally had this thing in the bag, but then decided to do a huge u-turn for some reason.

My theory...all be it pretty self indulgent would be because they want to release a double album or a longer 16-17 song album the same length of Rattle and Hum and wanted more time.

Again, just a thought. A wonderful thought. :wink:

That's as close as we're going to get for facts. You're right, no one ever said there was a hard date for release. But plenty of people, including their manager, seemed to think it would be this fall. That part was at least crystal clear.

C'MON! Where are these facts?!

For an album that was supposed to be released in the fall, that's about as concrete as information gets in June. We were expecting truly concrete information right about now and more or less got it. But, for the time, all signs were pointing in one direction.

:lol:

you can't be serious....if they make "the best album in history," fuck the delay, I couldn't care less at that point

With all the "it's over, it's our best ever" hype I don't think anything justifies a YEAR of delay.

And I kind of doubt we're waiting for a best U2 album, much less best album ever.

That's as close as we're going to get for facts. You're right, no one ever said there was a hard date for release. But plenty of people, including their manager, seemed to think it would be this fall. That part was at least crystal clear.

That's fine and I understand that, hell, I even went along with it. What I am trying to say is that it was never written in stone and I don't see why people are freaking out on them saying this some sort of "fuck you" to the fans...

They even purchased a domain name, a video for a promo or single was made. Wheels were clearly in motion

There is no way this album will come out fall 2009,it is basicaly done. Just a few songs need polished,maybe a double album? Either way people should take a deep breath and relax,after all there nothing we can do.

Its called "reading in between the lines"

Whats this a trial? Facts?

C'mon now people, read between the lines and you'll see that they had every intention to release this thing in the fall. Everything pointed to it. Here's a fact...the majority of U2's ablums have been released in the second half of the year.

So were we that off-base for reading between the lines and making the very valid hypothesis that the album was going to be released before the end of 2008?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom