OFFICIAL - U2.Com - New Album Out In 2009 Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last time I checked it still comes down to the 4 guys actually in the band to make the official call, do we have any of them at any point in the past saying the album was finished/almost finished?

I honestly don't recall is why I'm asking...

I would believe that if it wasn't for the "we're doing more writing" talk from Bono. With all the hype, "it's all but done" talk and the final mixer Lillywhite on the scene, and Corbijn doing the video...and they need more songs ? Either it's a double album or they're changing the direction of the album.

Meh. That could be for b-sides, or killing two birds with one stone. Ultimately, Bono said it would be ready for early 2009, and that doesn't lead me to believe that they're restructuring the entire record. I don't believe it will be ready for early 2009, but based on the quotes...

Besides, there's no double album. The ATYCLB sessions supposedly yielded 100 songs, and that record seemed pretty short for a double album. :wink:

can we all agree that early 2009 means March at the earliest? that's 6 months folks :wave:

what the hell do we talk about now?

I think what most of us are getting upset about is that early 2009 could become fall 2009

If the album comes out in March; I'd probably give U2 the benefit of the doubt and say it was just a couple of songs
However if it becomes Fall....

Yes, this is a huge part of it. Also, the fact that if they re-work the songs Danny Lanois said we're ready to go, they may end up doing what they did when they re-worked the POP songs for the Best Of ie make them worse. I hope that's not the case :pray:

"Following sessions in Morocco, in Dublin and through the summer in France, the band have written ‘fifty or sixty’ tracks. And counting."

What B-sides would they need with that much material ? Are they re-considering that "usual U2 album and Passengers part II" thing Steve Averill was talking about in 2007 ?

If the album comes out in January, and it's the most incredible fucking thing you personally have ever heard, will you forgive the delay?

I wouldn't need to forgive it because I'm not holding it against them; they can put it out whenever they want.

I'm just worried.
Worried that it's becoming way too difficult for them to put out a great album without going over and over it, so that it winds up sounding over-produced.
Worried that the 4 years since Bomb have not produced enough good material to warrant releasing the album in November.
Worried that after all the hyperbole, it will sound like Bomb2.
Worried that after all that, maybe they are thinking it's getting too difficult anymore and screw it, let's throw in the towel.

I wouldn't need to forgive it because I'm not holding it against them; they can put it out whenever they want.

I'm just worried.
Worried that it's becoming way too difficult for them to put out a great album without going over and over it, so that it winds up sounding over-produced.
Worried that the 4 years since Bomb have not produced enough good material to warrant releasing the album in November.
Worried that after all that, maybe they are thinking it's getting too difficult anymore and screw it, let's throw in the towel.

I'm not worried about that last one. I'd rather they retire than put out more mediocre records.

Maybe.

If the album comes out in January, and it's the most incredible fucking thing you personally have ever heard, will you forgive the delay?

If the album comes out in January:

1. I'll be too shocked to be upset about any delay (besides, a two month delay is a drop in the bucket).

2. Could they really get the album from "pretty good" to "the most incredible thing I've ever heard" in a couple of months? I'd be surprised if they got the thing sequenced in a month.

Well one of the things that did encourage me from what Bono said, was the whole attempting the Joshua Tree to Achtung Baby transition. This makes me confident that we will at least be getting something very different :up:

I'd even wager that this won't be the best U2 album.

of course it wont! There is no way anyone here should be saying this about an album none of has heard yet!

This is what I really hate about this type of situation with these message boards. People get wrapped up in this whirlwind of hype and anticipation that nothing can satisfy it in the end.

Hell, they can't even delay an album now without half the people on here flying into hysterics and ranting and raving about how the whole album is "obviously ruined" or they are “overproducing it” or that they have "obviously" scraped the whole thing and started again…

The thing surprising this time is that with "very innovative", "best song I ever did with U2" and "best album" producer hype, the band said very little in the hype area, apart from the one Bono comment "this is becoming our most radical and complete album" and recent Edge's "it has the potential to be our best". In comparison to Bomb where Bono and Edge lauded the latest considerably more, and basically no producer hype that I can remember.

Maybe.

there is no doubt in my mind that this record is at least going to be good....if for some fucked up reason it is not....well then I won't forgive the delay cause that would simply be messed up...but I'm not going to hold the album to higher standards now just cause it has been delayed...

Also, was it just me or did Bono spend noticeably more time in the studio compared to Bomb and, to a lesser degree, ATYCLB ?

Last time I checked it still comes down to the 4 guys actually in the band to make the official call, do we have any of them at any point in the past saying the album was finished/almost finished?

I honestly don't recall is why I'm asking...

Absolutely not, this is a total witch hunt.

If you want to critiicise Lanois then go on his f**king website and do so.

"will you forgive the delay?"

If this is a Spring release with a coinciding tour, absolutely.

If this is a Summer release, ok.

If this is, however, a one year delay, making the best album in history won't save them - in my mind.

Also, was it just me or did Bono spend noticeably more time in the studio compared to Bomb and, to a lesser degree, ATYCLB ?

Yep. And I'm pretty sure this was a conscious effort on his part. In U2 By U2, I believe he (and the rest of the band) acknowledged the lack of time he spent with the band for those two albums, compared to years prior.

If this is, however, a one year delay, making the best album in history won't save them - in my mind.

Im happy to wait a life time for the best album in history.

Absolutely not, this is a total witch hunt.

If you want to critiicise Lanois then go on his f**king website and do so.

exactly, the only ones who have been spouting on about the album finished are the producers and the manager, now given their positions should they be believed? To a point I will say yes but it's not the band's fault if we take that at face value and run with it.

The only thing I am disappointed with so far is the fact that they did not provide enough info or try to dispel these "release dates" that were given.

Do I think I am entitled to this info? Hell no, it's my own fault if I choose the believe Daniel Lanios. At the end of the day it's not their responsibility to hold our hands like a bunch of children and tell us exactly when they are going to release their new album...

:lol:

you can't be serious....if they make "the best album in history," fuck the delay, I couldn't care less at that point

I think the main reason so many of us were confident in a Nov. release this year was because we got caught up in all the hype and this forum just made it worse...instead of really looking at the facts

Rob33 the facts on the table and the statements supported a 2008 release.

all i know is that they better not ditch clips 1 and 4!!! sexy boots, get on your boots or whatever "boots" is fine but i couldn't care less if they ditch it

won't save them from what?!

most people (i.e. outside the die hard fan base) wouldnt give a monkey's about a one year delay lmfao they'll just go "ooh look a new U2 album!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom