OFFICIAL - U2.Com - New Album Out In 2009 Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But wouldn't it be boring and dull if he just came out and said: Hey guys, we fucked up, we cannot agree because Larry (or whoever) is being a asshole about the new songs?
No, then we would know what's really going on. I'd rather here the plain truth then stuff like: ''Album coming out in 2006'' ''Punk rock from Venus'' ''October 2008 it's gonna be'' etc etc.

What's your theory and what Edge comments are you talking about?

We've already had a video shot, Lillywhite came in, the U2.com video led us to believe it was done, titles released, etc all lead us to believe they were just wrapping it up.

Then Edge said:
Trying to weave it all together into a coherent collection is the challenge

Which leads me to believe it came down to 2 maybe 3 songs that some of the U2 camp think aren't fitting in with the rest so they came to a deadlock. Rather than rush it, they took a break and will reconvene to fix those few songs or focus on others that will complete the album...

I love how we've been speculating for pages and pages for months now about rumours and what sources have said about the album to the point where we're now believing those over direct quotes from band members.

U2 have no need to rush the album out, simple as that. They've made that mistake before and are obviously enjoying themselves this time around, so I think its all good stuff from a fan's point of view.

U2 have no need to rush the album out, simple as that. They've made that mistake before and are obviously enjoying themselves this time around, so I think its all good stuff from a fan's point of view.

It's hardly "good stuff" for fans if there's no album in it for us. If anything, they're just kicking back at our expense. This is why so many of us are upset.

Of course, I could easily be wrong and the band is just fussing over a few particular songs. It's hard to tell from Bono's quotes.

I like this quote from Billboard:

One source who has heard several of the works-in-progress describes them to Billboard as "amazing and a little out there. I hope they don't change anything."

How much do you want to bet that Billboard's "source" is just somebody who listened to the beach clips?

It's hardly "good stuff" for fans if there's no album in it for us. If anything, they're just kicking back at our expense. This is why so many of us are upset.

Of course, I could easily be wrong and the band is just fussing over a few particular songs. It's hard to tell from Bono's quotes.

Would you rather they just rushed it out?

How can it not be good stuff that they're taking their time to release something? Apart from the frustration that we don't have new material now, I'd rather they took their time and came up with something special.

We've already had a video shot, Lillywhite came in, the U2.com video led us to believe it was done, titles released, etc all lead us to believe they were just wrapping it up.

Which leads me to believe it came down to 2 maybe 3 songs that some of the U2 camp think aren't fitting in with the rest so they came to a deadlock. Rather than rush it, they took a break and will reconvene to fix those few songs or focus on others that will complete the album...

Yeah, I'm with you on this. I've been under the same impression. The Edge quote did the same thing for me. You can have a great collection of songs, but that doesn't make a great album. A great album is a great collection of songs that work well together both in placement order and how they flow from song to song. I think that's where they're at now — cracking that code. This is good because the last two albums didn't have that. They were more along the lines of a good collection of songs, but not great albums. I'm glad that's a priority.

They could very well be toying around with a double album though. 60 songs? They want to write more? This would obviously take double the "weaving" process that Edge is talking about, too. They haven't done a double-album yet and a departure from their recent sound is the perfect place to do that — an experimental double album. There's been a few of those you know. :)

He changed it in keeping with the 09 is ours theme.

How can it not be good stuff that they're taking their time to release something? Apart from the frustration that we don't have new material now, I'd rather they took their time and came up with something special.

2 years is NOT rushing. God, any other band would be bored to death of their new album by then. :lol:

You know what would be really special? Receiving an album that isn't an overly-polished Bomb part II.

Van Morrison wrote and recorded Astral Weeks in something like a three week period - it's widely regarded as one of the greatest albums of all time. Everyone's different, but they won't necessarily be producing good stuff simply by taking more time over it.

Then Edge said:

That's what I think happened as well. Given the rather fractured nature of the session with Rubin, Morocco and then Dublin and Eze I imagine they believed they had a pretty strong set of songs that where good to go and then when it came time to put it together it didn't fit together.

Great albums tend to have a flow to them. If you look at In Rainbows by Radiohead half the songs on that where floating about in various guises for years never quite fitting on to their other albums (like Nude, Reckoner and Last Flowers)

Either way you look at it -- 4 years between albums, or 2 years after the end of a previous tour -- is exceptionally long, and U2 shouldn't get a pass just because they're a big band. Led Zeppelin toured almost constantly during their career and still managed to put out 8 albums in 10 years -- one of which was a double album -- plus an outtakes album in 1982:

Led Zeppelin (1969)
Led Zeppelin II (1969)
Led Zeppelin III (1970)
Led Zeppelin IV (1971)
Houses of the Holy (1973)
Physical Graffiti (1975)
Presence (1976)
In Through the Out Door (1979)
Coda (1982)

I think what most of us are getting upset about is that early 2009 could become fall 2009

If the album comes out in March; I'd probably give U2 the benefit of the doubt and say it was just a couple of songs
However if it becomes Fall....

I think what most of us are getting upset about is that early 2009 could become fall 2009

If the album comes out in March; I'd probably give U2 the benefit of the doubt and say it was just a couple of songs

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

......and......if it sounds like Bombpt.2...........:reject:

I don't see 2 years as a long period, and I'm all for taking time and NOT rushing. I mean if you write a book it often takes you years to finish it and work it over. I don't know why everything has to happen so fast. U2 have aged, they have families, other projects, we all know about the stuff Bono does, so it makes sense that they need more time, two years seems ok to me. HOWEVER if they decide to push that album back to fall 2009, that would be a bit too much. And I honestly don't believe it. I mean the band must get annoyed as well if they mess with this album for another year. I honestly believe it will be early 2009, maybe March.

I love how we've been speculating for pages and pages for months now about rumours and what sources have said about the album to the point where we're now believing those over direct quotes from band members.

Absoluutely f**king true. I cannot find a single quote from either Bono or The Edge stating that the album is 'ready to go' 2008. Pathetic.

a. there is an album in it for us, they are just taking longer than you expected

b. what exactly is this costing you? Do you have this new album on layaway or something? Are you in some sort of constant pain that increases every day the album isn't coming out?

Or that no matter how good is turns out to be, people will still say it sucks because their brain won't let them think otherwise. :|

I'm still convinced that if Achtung Baby did not come out in 1991 and, instead, was the next album U2 release, numerous people who currently praise it would not do so simply because they cannot accept that the current U2 could produce such an album.

This is the fucking truth. :up:

Anyway we should be expecting a U2.com clip this Friday....hopefully some questions will be answered then. :pray:

:yes: Definitely.

And Roy, Daniel Lanois is the one who said the album was just about finished. He said that in June. JUNE. I'm sorry, but the album was ready to go, and they decided they didn't like how it flowed, so they're back at work on it. That's what happened.

I would believe that if it wasn't for the "we're doing more writing" talk from Bono. With all the hype, "it's all but done" talk and the final mixer Lillywhite on the scene, and Corbijn doing the video...and they need more songs ? Either it's a double album or they're changing the direction of the album.

I just wonder how Eno and Lanois are handling this: I remember a poster here saying Lanois was very annoyed during ATYCLB since that one took so long...

:yes: Definitely.

And Roy, Daniel Lanois is the one who said the album was just about finished. He said that in June. JUNE. I'm sorry, but the album was ready to go, and they decided they didn't like how it flowed, so they're back at work on it. That's what happened.

Maybe.

If the album comes out in January, and it's the most incredible fucking thing you personally have ever heard, will you forgive the delay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom