OFFICIAL - U2.Com - New Album Out In 2009 Pt. 2 - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2008, 02:23 PM   #46
The Fly

Local Time: 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascender_RS View Post
Would you rather they just rushed it out?

How can it not be good stuff that they're taking their time to release something? Apart from the frustration that we don't have new material now, I'd rather they took their time and came up with something special.
Van Morrison wrote and recorded Astral Weeks in something like a three week period - it's widely regarded as one of the greatest albums of all time. Everyone's different, but they won't necessarily be producing good stuff simply by taking more time over it.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:26 PM   #47
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOFO View Post
Why doesn't somebody just email Bono and ask what's going on?

09ismine@hotmail.com
Or The Edge: imonfireandprancingaboutinmypantsonthemoon@hotmail.com

Old 09-04-2008, 02:27 PM   #48
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
We've already had a video shot, Lillywhite came in, the U2.com video led us to believe it was done, titles released, etc all lead us to believe they were just wrapping it up.

Then Edge said:

Which leads me to believe it came down to 2 maybe 3 songs that some of the U2 camp think aren't fitting in with the rest so they came to a deadlock. Rather than rush it, they took a break and will reconvene to fix those few songs or focus on others that will complete the album...
That's what I think happened as well. Given the rather fractured nature of the session with Rubin, Morocco and then Dublin and Eze I imagine they believed they had a pretty strong set of songs that where good to go and then when it came time to put it together it didn't fit together.

Great albums tend to have a flow to them. If you look at In Rainbows by Radiohead half the songs on that where floating about in various guises for years never quite fitting on to their other albums (like Nude, Reckoner and Last Flowers)
Old 09-04-2008, 02:30 PM   #49
War Child

Local Time: 05:31 PM
Either way you look at it -- 4 years between albums, or 2 years after the end of a previous tour -- is exceptionally long, and U2 shouldn't get a pass just because they're a big band. Led Zeppelin toured almost constantly during their career and still managed to put out 8 albums in 10 years -- one of which was a double album -- plus an outtakes album in 1982:

Led Zeppelin (1969)
Led Zeppelin II (1969)
Led Zeppelin III (1970)
Led Zeppelin IV (1971)
Houses of the Holy (1973)
Physical Graffiti (1975)
Presence (1976)
In Through the Out Door (1979)
Coda (1982)
Old 09-04-2008, 02:30 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:31 PM
I think what most of us are getting upset about is that early 2009 could become fall 2009

If the album comes out in March; I'd probably give U2 the benefit of the doubt and say it was just a couple of songs
However if it becomes Fall....
Old 09-04-2008, 02:34 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishteen View Post
I think what most of us are getting upset about is that early 2009 could become fall 2009

If the album comes out in March; I'd probably give U2 the benefit of the doubt and say it was just a couple of songs
Yes, that's what I'm saying.

......and......if it sounds like Bombpt.2...........
Old 09-04-2008, 02:38 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

I don't see 2 years as a long period, and I'm all for taking time and NOT rushing. I mean if you write a book it often takes you years to finish it and work it over. I don't know why everything has to happen so fast. U2 have aged, they have families, other projects, we all know about the stuff Bono does, so it makes sense that they need more time, two years seems ok to me. HOWEVER if they decide to push that album back to fall 2009, that would be a bit too much. And I honestly don't believe it. I mean the band must get annoyed as well if they mess with this album for another year. I honestly believe it will be early 2009, maybe March.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:38 PM   #53
roy
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascender_RS View Post
I love how we've been speculating for pages and pages for months now about rumours and what sources have said about the album to the point where we're now believing those over direct quotes from band members.
Absoluutely f**king true. I cannot find a single quote from either Bono or The Edge stating that the album is 'ready to go' 2008. Pathetic.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:38 PM   #54
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
It's hardly "good stuff" for fans if there's no album in it for us. If anything, they're just kicking back at our expense. This is why so many of us are upset.
a. there is an album in it for us, they are just taking longer than you expected

b. what exactly is this costing you? Do you have this new album on layaway or something? Are you in some sort of constant pain that increases every day the album isn't coming out?
Old 09-04-2008, 02:40 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:31 PM
Quote:
Or that no matter how good is turns out to be, people will still say it sucks because their brain won't let them think otherwise.

I'm still convinced that if Achtung Baby did not come out in 1991 and, instead, was the next album U2 release, numerous people who currently praise it would not do so simply because they cannot accept that the current U2 could produce such an album.
This is the fucking truth.

Anyway we should be expecting a U2.com clip this Friday....hopefully some questions will be answered then. :Pray:
Old 09-04-2008, 02:40 PM   #56
War Child

If it was 2 years between releases and not 2 years after the end of a tour, then that would make much more sense.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:41 PM   #57
The Male

Local Time: 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishteen View Post

Definitely.

And Roy, Daniel Lanois is the one who said the album was just about finished. He said that in June. JUNE. I'm sorry, but the album was ready to go, and they decided they didn't like how it flowed, so they're back at work on it. That's what happened.

Now.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:43 PM   #58
War Child

And I believe McGuiness said they were shooting for an October 08 release a few months ago.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:44 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post

Which leads me to believe it came down to 2 maybe 3 songs that some of the U2 camp think aren't fitting in with the rest so they came to a deadlock. Rather than rush it, they took a break and will reconvene to fix those few songs or focus on others that will complete the album...
I would believe that if it wasn't for the "we're doing more writing" talk from Bono. With all the hype, "it's all but done" talk and the final mixer Lillywhite on the scene, and Corbijn doing the video...and they need more songs ? Either it's a double album or they're changing the direction of the album.

I just wonder how Eno and Lanois are handling this: I remember a poster here saying Lanois was very annoyed during ATYCLB since that one took so long...
Old 09-04-2008, 02:44 PM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Definitely.

And Roy, Daniel Lanois is the one who said the album was just about finished. He said that in June. JUNE. I'm sorry, but the album was ready to go, and they decided they didn't like how it flowed, so they're back at work on it. That's what happened.
Maybe.

If the album comes out in January, and it's the most incredible fucking thing you personally have ever heard, will you forgive the delay?