OFFICIAL - U2.Com - New Album Out In 2009 Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, if they had enough material for 2 albums I'd hope they'd just take the best songs and make one great album.

hey! what if the edge was made out of barbeque spare ribs, would you eat him then? i know i sure would. then i'd polish him off with a tall, cool budweiser.

Why would you ruin a delicious Edge rib meal with Budweiser? :barf:

If you stick with American beers (and why not - nothing is as American as BBQ! :drool: ) then at least pick a good one. :yes:

I can't believe they did it.Another 3 months extra of moaning of this forum !!!Oh,NOOOOO!!!!

You've got to be kidding me. :lmao:

Everlasting Love is okay, but there are dozens of Night and Day interpretations that shit on U2's.

I strongly disagree.

There have been dozens of performances of "Night and Day" - and ALL of them, barring U2's, have been performed in a very showtune, Broadway style. These include versions by Frank Sinatra and Billie Holiday (and I own these versions as well, so I have heard them). There's nothing wrong with that type of interpretation, but it's not unique and, to be candid, I don't feel it interprets the song well at all. The reason I like U2's cover of this song is that they converted it to the dark, stalking, obsessive song that it really is. Those lyrics are not "pop-friendly". The Police's "Every Breath You Take" is in the same vein - a very dark song about obsession, but the Police made it more "radio friendly". Sting has since made the song darker on his own.

U2 are not a great cover band, but they have done some great covers. "Night and Day", for the reasons I described above, is one. So is "Everlasting Love" (I like U2's version more than the original!) and "Dancing Barefoot".

However, U2 have also done some horrid covers, like "Fortunate Son" and "Unchained Melody" (Bono's screams here ripped the beauty and ecstasy out of the original).

U2, like most rock bands, are better at their own songs. Country artists, on the other hand, often do brilliant covers. This most likely stems from the fact that most country artists do not write their own music - they just interpret it.

I strongly disagree.

There have been dozens of performances of "Night and Day" - and ALL of them, barring U2's, have been performed in a very showtune, Broadway style. These include versions by Frank Sinatra and Billie Holiday (and I own these versions as well, so I have heard them). There's nothing wrong with that type of interpretation, but it's not unique and, to be candid, I don't feel it interprets the song well at all. The reason I like U2's cover of this song is that they converted it to the dark, stalking, obsessive song that it really is. Those lyrics are not "pop-friendly". The Police's "Every Breath You Take" is in the same vein - a very dark song about obsession, but the Police made it more "radio friendly". Sting has since made the song darker on his own.

U2 are not a great cover band, but they have done some great covers. "Night and Day", for the reasons I described above, is one. So is "Everlasting Love" (I like U2's version more than the original!) and "Dancing Barefoot".

However, U2 have also done some horrid covers, like "Fortunate Son" and "Unchained Melody" (Bono's screams here ripped the beauty and ecstasy out of the original).

U2, like most rock bands, are better at their own songs. Country artists, on the other hand, often do brilliant covers. This most likely stems from the fact that most country artists do not write their own music - they just interpret it.

Agreed.
Night and Day is one of the best thinhs U2 have ever done, one of my top 30 U2 songs, even though it is of course a cover. One of their best videos too.

I strongly disagree.

So wait, give this to me straight - you've heard "all" versions of Night and Day? There's been countless versions of Porter's songs, and by no means were they all 'show tune' before U2's (besides, the song was originally written as a show tune). Listen to Sinatra's version on Sinatra and Strings, and honestly tell me that doesn't give you the dark and obsessive mood that U2's does for you. U2's version is important in their catalogue due being a standalone release of that era, and it's one of their better covers, but it's still full of wasted space, often dull notes and Bono - sin of all sins - even changes some of the lyrics unnecessarily. You know, I think Cole Porter could have written 'baby' in there if he really wanted to.

"Night and Day" was a song from another age and the singers from those days perform the song a lot better than U2 ever did. You listen to some of the big successfull voices that sing the song and they blow Bono out of the water.

Surely "Night and Day" shows how brilliant Sinatra was.

Sinatra recorded the song five times; with Axel Stordahl in his first solo session in 1942 and again with him in 1947; with Nelson Riddle in 1956 for A Swingin' Affair!, with Don Costa in 1961 for Sinatra and Strings (considered by many to be the best version) and even a disco version with Joe Beck in 1977.

Fitzgerald's most celebrated recording of the song occurred on her 1956 album Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Cole Porter Songbook. The song was recorded by Ringo Starr in 1970 for its first solo album "Sentimental Journey". It was then recorded in 1982 as a one-off collaboration between Tracey Thorn with student friend Ben Watt as Everything But The Girl; subsequently the duo became a well established pop act.

The song was recorded by U2 in 1990 and appeared on the Red Hot + Blue compilation album. Bono was still young and not as confident in his voice when it was recorded. The music backing show the group in it's best formas they usually do but Bono is quite restrained in the version.

Thomas Anders (of Modern Talking fame) recorded his version in 1997 on the album Live Concert. Rod Stewart recorded a version for his 2004 album Stardust: the Great American Songbook 3. A rendition was recorded by The Temptations and the version is features in and on the soundtrack for the 2000 movie What Women Want.

"Night and Day" also reappeared on the American pop charts in 1967 done by Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66.

In 2004, a version of "Night and Day" was included in the biographical film about Cole Porter, De-Lovely, sung by John Barrowman and Kevin Kline. The song was also recorded in 2005 by Sondre Lerche on his album Duper Sessions. In 2007 it was recorded by Bebel Gilberto with a bossa nova approach on her album Memento.

The Colts Drum and Bugle Corps is using "Night and Day" for their 2008 show.

The U2 version of Night and Day, IMO, is brilliant. Not because they are trying to compete with Sinatra, which would be ridiculous, but because it's a U2 version. They made it their song and I don't care if Bono changed the lyrics. I'm totally fond of the 2003 live version, and I'm usually not a great fan of U2 covers. They took a broadway song that was interpreted by most other artists as a broadway tune, and made something different out of it.

The Police's "Every Breath You Take" is in the same vein - a very dark song about obsession, but the Police made it more "radio friendly". Sting has since made the song darker on his own.

I have to disagree about the "radio friendly" part. If you listened to Synchronicity without hearing any of the songs before, EBYT would not be among the songs you'd instantly think must have been a single.

So where's everyone who was calling U2 a bunch of money grabbing sell outs who care more about a release during the holiday season than actually putting out an artistically brilliant album and not trying to maximize sales during November/December months? :rolleyes:

They'll be right back in Spring.

...When the album is delayed until November.

all signs point towards spring. i understand why you're being so cynical, since you were such a strong believer that the album was going to be out this November. i suggest stepping back for once, push your emotions to the side and look at this from a factual standpoint.

all signs point towards spring. i understand why you're being so cynical, since you were such a strong believer that the album was going to be out this November. i suggest stepping back for once, push your emotions to the side and look at this from a factual standpoint.

Isn't it a bit hypocritical of you to base your predictions on the quotes of band members? I did the same thing three weeks ago, and you felt it wasn't enough. We have nothing more right now than "we want 2009 to be our year". If there were no facts to support a 2008 release, there certainly aren't any now.

Isn't it a bit hypocritical of you to base your predictions on the quotes of band members? I did the same thing three weeks ago, and you felt it wasn't enough. We have nothing more right now than "we want 2009 to be our year". If there were no facts to support a 2008 release, there certainly aren't any now.

but LM, I thought you said there were facts to support a 2008 release, making this that much more surprising........? :scratch:

but LM, I thought you said there were facts to support a 2008 release, making this that much more surprising........? :scratch:

If there were no facts.

I believe there were. Just trying to see this from his point of view and argue accordingly.

Atu2.com's off the record column puts it well:

They've hit a songwriting vein? Hmmmm. Here's what's odd about the explanation Bono gave for the delay of U2's next album:

Late June: U2 skip the Mandela tribute concert because they're putting the "final touches" on the album.
July 5: Daniel Lanois tells a Montreal newspaper that the album is done. (join our mailing list if you can't read that news piece)
July 6: The Irish Independent reports that U2 enjoyed a dinner together about a week ago to celebrate finishing work on the album.
So, if the album was done in June/July, why would U2 be in position to hit a songwriting vein in August/September? Why would they even be writing at all? Anything's possible, but it seems odd to me.

:huh: Add to that McGuiness's been saying October/November, Lillywhite, the usual mixer for Eno/Lanois produced U2 albums, was seen at the studio. Here's what their main sound guy said: U2 move album sessions to France | U2 news article from @U2 wonder if the "Spring 2009 tour" is still on, even with Bono's announcement.

hey, don't worry man. we get to be 100% right again come February or March.

As much as I hate how smug you're being about this, I do hope you're right. I have no idea why you would be, or why you would pick the relatively arbitrary date that you did, but it's a best-case scenario at this point, and I just want the damn album.

There's always the backup story for that.

"They're waiting to see whether it really is artistically brilliant or just a load of pop songs for the radio."

Atu2.com's off the record column puts it well:

They've hit a songwriting vein? Hmmmm. Here's what's odd about the explanation Bono gave for the delay of U2's next album:

Late June: U2 skip the Mandela tribute concert because they're putting the "final touches" on the album.
July 5: Daniel Lanois tells a Montreal newspaper that the album is done. (join our mailing list if you can't read that news piece)
July 6: The Irish Independent reports that U2 enjoyed a dinner together about a week ago to celebrate finishing work on the album.
So, if the album was done in June/July, why would U2 be in position to hit a songwriting vein in August/September? Why would they even be writing at all? Anything's possible, but it seems odd to me.

:huh: Add to that McGuiness's been saying October/November, Lillywhite, the usual mixer for Eno/Lanois produced U2 albums, was seen at the studio. Here's what their main sound guy said: U2 move album sessions to France | U2 news article from @U2 wonder if the "Spring 2009 tour" is still on, even with Bono's announcement.

Yeah...it's weird.....something happened. I know I'm beating a dead horse, and maybe the conspiracy theories are BS, but those facts are in stark contrast to last week's news.

Remember, we've only heard 4 tunes. Who knows what else was in there? Maybe the rest were rubbish and they realized it? I thought the 4 tunes were good. Maybe it's the best they had and wanted better.

WHO KNOWS?:hmm:

How about: Because you don't just stop writing once you finished something? I don't want to dismiss @u2's analysis, but there is still the possibility that the album wasn't "finished" after all and U2 felt that they can still contribute something to a nearly-finished album when they just don't stop writing.

I understand the concept of creativity because I'm an artist myself. Sometimes you work on something and it's supposed to be finished, but when you "open a vein", as Bono put it, you cannot simply stop. All the creative work you've done so far is also an impulse for more creativity.

That would be my explanation from an artistic point of view.
Of course I could be wrong and there are other reasons.
I believe there are several reasons for the delay but I find it tiring to speculate about it, because we don't know.
Maybe one day they'll tell us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom