OFFICIAL - New Album Delayed Until 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The 9th? That's a bit soon.

However, it's always darkest before the dawn, and it's pretty damn dark right now. We'll see. I'm banking on U2 using the (RED) music store to support the new song, which opens this month.

Yeah, they are either done or far from done. There isn't really room for middle ground here. If not November, its May 2009 (March at the earliest and November at latest). I would actually love any theories on how they could be in a situation that is not either: a) Done or close enough to release in November or b) not close at all, major overhaul/new songs needed.

This is why I think its November 2008.

It would actually make a lot of sense considering we have confirmation that the video was shot. And considering the post-In Rainbows new music market, it makes even more sense. It would be a "big deal" made bigger by the sheer surprise.

And U2 are pretty egalitarian when it comes to their fans: I think they'd like hardcore fans and casual fans alike to get the first new taste at the same time.

BTW, Nam, I totally understand where you're coming from with your point about the band actually being ahead of schedule due to the tour being pushed into 2006 but, because of the confirmation that the band will be using songs from the summer 2006 Rubin sessions (dated BEFORE the end of the Vertigo tour), I think they have plenty of material, far more than necessary, and we've waited long enough.

Just out of curiosity, are those 2006 Rubin sessions where Window In The Skies came from? I seem to remember the very first batch of "beach clips" post-Bomb from that time period including an early version of it. Are those the "Rubin" sessions?

In any case, I'm still thinking the bulk of the material is from the Monaco sessions.

I don't think there's any doubt about the amount of material they have - I mean, they were publicly floating the idea of a double album for a bit there.

Guys, I’m perhaps reading too much into this but it has occurred to me, while looking/hoping for a new Ipod, that 2 organisations that have worked together in the past and are known to be secretive are “due” to shed some light very soon: U2 and Apple.

Apple has an event next week, rumours are for new Ipods, and the invite is titled “let’s rock!” (see macrumours.com).

Any outside-I-could-only-wish possibility they could be tied together and that U2 might announce anything that day on the same day as Apple (new Ipod, new music, etc)?

Just out of curiosity, are those 2006 Rubin sessions where Window In The Skies came from? I seem to remember the very first batch of "beach clips" post-Bomb from that time period including an early version of it. Are those the "Rubin" sessions?

In any case, I'm still thinking the bulk of the material is from the Monaco sessions.

I don't think there's any doubt about the amount of material they have - I mean, they were publicly floating the idea of a double album for a bit there.

Yeah, those four clips were all from the Rubin sessions: Window In The Skies (used for U2:18), I Believe, Thank You For The Day (which turned out to be a Lanois song), and All My Life. I wouldn't be surprised at all if two of those made the cut, plus there could be others from those sessions that we don't know about. I don't think Edge would've mentioned it had none of the songs been seriously considered.

In all seriousness, I want a theory on how they are close enough to being done to release the album in January but not close enough to release it a month-and-a-half earlier in primetime.

In all seriousness, I want a theory on how they are close enough to being done to release the album in January but not close enough to release it a month-and-a-half earlier in primetime.

There isn't one. They were discussing the tracklisting in late July/early August, claimed the album was finished, played it in their houses/backyards, and now, all of a sudden, none of that matters because they became unsatisfied with the album when they were drinking martinis in Bora Bora.

It's all hype, guys. Don't fall for it. McGuinne$$ won't let us down.

Nice of lew07 to start a thread about the exact same subject I brought up in the other thread and mentionning the exact same thing! Wonder where Lew got the idea to create this thread!?!? Hummm..... :wave: Oh well the important thing here is new U2 music ! :)

And you're ignoring the fact that these tidbits have no confirmed source of any kind, and that they're made all the more unlikely by the claims the band members themselves have made over the past three months.

I'm sorry, but the band is on holiday. They're not thinking about the new album. I highly doubt that they just decided out of the clear blue that they dislike the direction of the album when they're not even in the studio at the moment.

Daniel Lanois said it was now safe to say that it's one their innovative albums. They are just tweaking it. They are probably going over which 10 - 12 songs they want on the album, and with a little more work on some of them they can maybe change the line up or increase it. Now that it's quiet you can tell they are probably almost done everything. The tour will have more to do with the album start date than anything else. These people have growing families.

A cool band is in a similar position on their new album:

Doves: News Archives

More good stuff coming.

my apologies-i didnt know this was in another thread...

i saw the apple news on ilounge, and connected the dots myself, nice to see that others are doing the same

Daniel Lanois said it was now safe to say that it's one their innovative albums. They are just tweaking it. They are probably going over which 10 - 12 songs they want on the album, and with a little more work on some of them they can maybe change the line up or increase it. Now that it's quiet you can tell they are probably almost done everything. The tour will have more to do with the album start date than anything else. These people have growing families.

More good stuff coming.

Again, this all depends on when the interviews were done, how fast they were moving in the studio, etc. I'm absolutely confident that the album is finished and, based on their previous actions, I doubt they would circulate this much hype about a finished album if they weren't happy with it. It's just not like them.

Furthermore, not everything has to follow the exact ATYCLB/HTDAAB pattern, especially in the post-In Rainbows music world, so I wish folks would get their heads out of 2004 and look at what's going on right now.

woah, I can't believe how long the history of this album is...

Rubin sessions
marocan sessions
dublin & eze sessions

(don't remember in what order)
double album rumours
U2 album + Passengers II album rumours
:ohmy:

Here's the article concerning the event:

Apple's 'Let's Rock' event fuels new iPod speculation

Honestly, I don't buy U2 being a part of this at all.

Really? I think it would be very U2 to find another new and big way to get exposure. And it wouldn't even be that new considering their past Apple work.

And the timing is interesting given that they have shot a video for NLOTH...that song has got to be ready to roll.

Really? I think it would be very U2 to find another new and big way to get exposure. And it wouldn't even be that new considering their past Apple work.

Let me rephrase that:

I think it's possible that we could have a preview of the single/a single announcement that day. I don't think we'll be hearing the new single in full that day.

Let me rephrase that:

I think it's possible that we could have a preview of a single/a single announcement that day. I don't think we'll be hearing the new single in full that day.

Fair enough. But they could be going for the surprise factor. Although with the Product Red thing coming out, I think you may be right.

Where are all the 2008 doubters? I need some theories to quench my undaunted optimism for a November release. I'm serious.

Fair enough. But they could be going for the surprise factor. Although with the Product Red thing coming out, I think you may be right.

Let's combine our theories and see how it works out.

On September 9th, U2 uses the Apple "Let's Rock!" event to announce their new single and perhaps debut a new iPod commercial. Then, later in September, U2 uses the (RED) music store to officially release their new single.

If U2's going to release an album on March 2009, then I fear of getting HTDAAB part 2. Nevertheless having heard the new beach clips I think this new album is gonna be great - musically. Not sure bout the lyrics though..

I also think it would be cool if U2 did something strategic with You Tube (the name similarity)...like release the video for No Line On The Horizon video on a specific channel at a certain date and time.

For example a radio station "Tomorrow you can view U2's new excludive video for the single "No Line On The Horizon" on Universal Musics channel on YouTube at midnight just search it"

That would be pretty awesome....i think

I also think it would be cool if U2 did something strategic with You Tube (the name similarity)...like release the video for No Line On The Horizon video on a specific channel at a certain date and time.

For example a radio station "Tomorrow you can view U2's new excludive video for the single "No Line On The Horizon" on Universal Musics channel on YouTube at midnight just search it"

That would be pretty awesome....i think

That is a good idea. Knowing U2 and their ambitions, I'm sure they're racking their brains for ideas (or at least Paul and Bono are) on how to release the new single in some cool, new way. Or at least a way that involves HUGE exposure.

I didn't even know about the red music store....but it would make it even more plausible then (but still a long strech)....I'm just thinking that since U2 hasn't announced anything yet they must be planning something big....and on the apple forums people are wondering why a "Ipod only" event if it would be only to refresh their lines...they expect something bigger also!

More good stuff coming.

Thanks for that.. I love Doves and was completely off kilter with what they are doing recently!

I didn't even know about the red music store....but it would make it even more plausible then (but still a long strech)....I'm just thinking that since U2 hasn't announced anything yet they must be planning something big....and on the apple forums people are wondering why a "Ipod only" event if it would be only to refresh their lines...they expect something bigger also!

Yeah, I think it's odd that they're making such a big deal about an update of an old iPod model. Regardless, I still doubt U2 will have anything to do with this, though I hope I'm wrong. U2.com can go fuck itself, but I still want news of some kind.

Yeah, I think it's odd that they're making such a big deal about an update of an old iPod model. Regardless, I still doubt U2 will have anything to do with this, though I hope I'm wrong. U2.com can go fuck itself, but I still want news of some kind.

question for you since you are so adamant about the album coming out in 2008. at what point would you be officially worried that its not coming out this year?

question for you since you are so adamant about the album coming out in 2008. at what point would you be officially worried that its not coming out this year?

No news of any kind from the U2 camp by October 1st. The official site does not apply to this.

And I'm not adamant, just confident. And I've said why many times. It's hardly a stretch of the imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom