OFFICIAL - New Album Delayed Until 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well if you consider that concrete news, then i guess we now have concrete news that the album has been delayed until 2009.

Wrong. There's no source here. A presumed one, but no names of any kind have been given, and the band themselves have denied it from months of talking up how fantastic their work has been.

Again, these rumors suspiciously began following an editorial comment made in Q magazine that was sporting an article with information from July. Not only is that not concrete, they haven't even planned to put a sidewalk there yet.

I was under the impression "complete" meant their most cohesive and tight album.

As i said in another thread... I'M BORED!!!!. Now with the prospect that the album could be delayed i'm pissed. U2 keeps their fans in the dark. It's not enough for us to wait for four years for a new album.... we have to wait at the last minute to get info!!!!

Well, yeah. Why would that confuse you?? Clearly he has been involved with the recording of each track and has an understanding of how the album is coming together. His impression/rhetoric is that the album will be their most "complete."

Depends on your definition of "album", really. If an album is a collection of finished songs, then I'm correct here. If it's a set of unsequenced, presumably unfinished songs that he's putting together in his head and giving an impression on, then you're correct. However, he said it IS their most complete, not "will be" or "could be", so I think your interpretation of the quote is incorrect.

Depends on your definition of "album", really. If an album is a collection of finished songs, then I'm correct here. If it's a set of unsequenced, presumably unfinished songs that he's putting together in his head and giving an impression on, then you're correct. However, he said it IS their most complete, not "will be" or "could be", so I think your interpretation of the quote is incorrect.

I think you're reading waaaaaaaay too much into these off-the-cuff quotes.

Wrong. There's no source here. A presumed one, but no names of any kind have been given, and the band themselves have denied it from months of talking up how fantastic their work has been.

Again, these rumors suspiciously began following an editorial comment made in Q magazine that was sporting an article with information from July. Not only is that not concrete, they haven't even planned to put a sidewalk there yet.

that's debatable. Many of the sources saying the album WILL be out this year are "reliable sources close to the band."

you're picking and choosing the information that supports your argument. i'm just trying to make sense of everything we have gotten so far, which leaves me highly doubting that we'll have a new album in 2008.

Again, these rumors suspiciously began following an editorial comment made in Q magazine that was sporting an article with information from July.

How do you know that the information in the Q article is from July? Just curious, I must have missed that in one of these 400,000 threads we have here in WTAHNN.

It's all we have for the moment. :shrug: I think it's a more productive use of time reading into quotes from the band than reading into "rumblings"/rumors.

I agree that the delay rumours seem to be bred from overanalysis. But you can't use Bono's silly quotes as a source to say otherwise. That's all I'm saying. I mean, are you expecting this to be U2's most radical album yet fully equipped with dancefloor shock??

How do you know that the information in the Q article is from July? Just curious, I must have missed that in one of these 400,000 threads we have here in WTAHNN.

Mostly because of a blurb about a future Bloc Party album in the corner...one that was released about three weeks ago.

Sounds like once again they'll throw out great material that only dedicated fans will find, and release something more derivative that music fans will belittle... come on, where's the voice of reason... don't repeat the mistakes of your last two albums, both of which feature great songs but the best ones were left off.

I gotta say that's what this sounds like to me

ETA: IF it's true at all

As i said in another thread... I'M BORED!!!!. Now with the prospect that the album could be delayed i'm pissed. U2 keeps their fans in the dark. It's not enough for us to wait for four years for a new album.... we have to wait at the last minute to get info!!!!

I'll say it again: We haven't been waiting for four years. The "waiting" for a new album starts when the tour for the previous album finishes. Elevation tour finished in December 2001, Bomb was released in November 2004, so we waited just under three years. Vertigo tour finished in December 2006, and the album is about to come out in November 2008. That's less than two years.

They are ahead of schedule.

People are only basing their expectations on how things went with the ATYCLB and Bomb releases, but their promotional habits weren't always the same before that(hell, in the 90s they shunned playing on TV shows to promote albums) and since the band themselves as far back as the 2006 grammy awards said that they felt the thread of ATYCLB and Bomb was over and that they were ready to move on again, maybe that also INCLUDES the way they promote/release their new material.

I agree that the delay rumours seem to be bred from overanalysis. But you can't use Bono's silly quotes as a source to say otherwise. That's all I'm saying. I mean, are you expecting this to be U2's most radical album yet fully equipped with dancefloor shock??

Oh, I would never trust him to describe his music properly. But I don't think he's dense enough to think that his band's album has been sequenced, mixed, and mastered when it hasn't.

for the record, i definitely want this album in November. i just have a real bad feeling that a lot of peope are going to be dissapointed when we find out it's next March or something.

The bottom line is: we are not sure that the album will be delayed, but we are not sure that won't. So the only thing that we know for sure that HTDAAB was released in 2004!

So either:

A. Bono is too fat for the album to be released

B. U2 suddenly hates their work after months of hyping up how it's the best thing they've done in ages

C. None of the above, but the album will still be released in 2009 because they just enjoy fucking with us

D. The album will be released in 2008, on schedule

E. They're talking about song selection. "trying to put it all in a cohesive collection" sounds like track selection is happening.

Interesting that two separate newspapers said "2009" (and now a reputable and one of the biggest U2 sites) and that after being told "October/November 2008" and even after a video shoot we have this media silence on U2's organisation part, and it's already September. Something doesn't add up.

The bottom line is: we are not sure that the album will be delayed, but we are not sure that won't. So the only thing that we know for sure that HTDAAB was released in 2004!

We also know for sure that ATYCLB was released in 2000 and that Bono is the lead singer of U2.

Hear, Hear! Now this is what I call good solid evidence

I trust Edge. Just because the recording itself may have been finished since that doesn't mean they have settled on the mixes and singles and track selection and the track order on the album.

I think there is still a good chance for a 2008 release. As others have suggested, the Q article may well be old info, a month or two old, and there have been no reports of U2 going back into the studio to make any changes. Instead they've been on holiday.

Also, the last video on U2.com is called 'Final Drive' which perhaps indicates the end of the road for these little video clips, and making way for the major announcement. We should also consider that in wanting to use Product Red as a way of releasing the music, the timing of an announcement would have to tie in with the launch of the new download technology.

Anyway, we may only have to wait another 2-3 weeks to be sure what's going on. If the album is to be released in 2008, the November issue of Q would very likely have a major article on the new album, with the review in the Dec issue.....at least this is what has happened in the past.

There's one way to find out...Edge is walking the red carpet on Friday in Toronto for the movie he's in......someone in the Toronto area who is a fan and is planning to be there should ask him point blank about the new album ...the end of 2008 or early 2009?...and tell him not pull a HTDAAB:D

There's one way to find out...Edge is walking the red carpet on Friday in Toronto for the movie he's in......someone in the Toronto area who is a fan and is planning to be there should ask him point blank about the new album ...the end of 2008 or early 2009?...and tell him not pull a HTDAAB:D

IT'S FOOL PROOF!

Basically, the only information we have to go on about a 2009 release is a lack of information about a 2008 release from U2.com. There is an overwhelming amount of evidence, audible and otherwise, that supports the album being finished and more or less ready to go. The band is out of the studio, the videos are either done or being worked on, the single has been chosen, and now all we have to wait for is an official date. If that's not good enough for you, then I have no idea what to say.

for the record, i definitely want this album in November. i just have a real bad feeling that a lot of peope are going to be dissapointed when we find out it's next March or something.

i've been sharing your pessimism all along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom