OFFICIAL - New Album Delayed Until 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burningedge101

The Fly
U2.com | Official News

'We want 2009 to be our year'

'We’ve hit a rich songwriting vein and we don’t want to stop.' Bono has been talking to U2.Com about how the songs are shaping up for the new record and plans for 2009 to be their year.

‘This is our chance for us to defy gravity once again, ‘ explains Bono, calling in from a break in recording sessions in the south of France. ‘ We have what it takes, we have the songs, new rhythms and a guitar player who is not ready to re-enter earth's atmosphere until he's taken a slice of the moon!
'It's been fun, it's been maddening... there have been injuries and recoveries, no babies born that I know of, but this one is nearly ready for the new year of 2009.'

The band have been writing and recording the follow-up to ‘How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb’ since last year, and the feeling is that they’ve hit a creative groove so there are no plans to stop. Everyone, he says, is excited about where the recording is taking them.

‘When we set out on this record it was Larry who came up with the plan not to have a plan. He put up this idea that wouldn’t it be great just to make music for its own sake, not for the purpose of a live show or on album but just to see what we’re capable of…’

It’s an idea that’s paid off. Following sessions in Morocco, in Dublin and through the summer in France, the band have written ‘fifty or sixty’ tracks. And counting.

‘We’ve hit a rich songwriting vein,’ he explains. ‘It gets a bit dark down here but looks like we've found diamonds not coal. I thought a while back we might have the album wrapped by now, but why come up above ground now if there's more priceless stuff to be found?

For now, they’re keeping a promise they made to themselves when they started writing: ‘We said to each other that if we got to the great place then we wouldn’t stop…’

So the writing and recording continues and while they now know what shape most of the album will take, they're not leaving the studio just yet.

‘We know we have to emerge soon but we also know that people don’t want another U2 album unless it is our best ever album. It has to be our most innovative, our most challenging … or what’s the point ?’

They have no doubts that it will be as important a release for U2 as any. ‘It’s a brand new chapter for us, and everyone we’ve played the tracks to has said that musically it feels like another departure.

‘The last two records were very personal, with a kind of three piece at their heart, the primary colours of rock - bass, guitars and drum. But what we’re about now is of the same order as the transition that took us from The Joshua Tree to Achtung Baby.’

He also mentions that the recording in Morocco was the first time the band have worked in a studio open to the sky: ‘On that track you can hear the sound of a swallows nest close to the building - it’s beautiful.’

Longtime collaborators Danny Lanois and Brian Eno have joined the band at different times, and, more recently, Steve Lillywhite – usually a tell-tale sign that a record is nearly done. ‘Steve has that ear for a top line melody and a good hook.’

But while Bono is itching to get the music out he says it’s going to be early 2009 when we first get to hear the songs.

‘I’m always the one who underestimates how easy it is to simply 'put out the songs now', if it was just up to me they’d be out already! But early next year people will be able to start hearing what we’ve been doing. We want 2009 to be our year, so we’re going to start making an impression very early on …’

------------------------

Besides the Q article which could be from an old interview, I found this quote on the front page of atu2.com to be a bit more disturbing for those wanting an '08 release:

"Although not attributed directly to Edge [the quote in the Q article mentioning a post-Chrismas '08 release], that does lend credence to some rumblings we've heard recently from multiple sources that the band isn't satisfied with several tracks and may push the album release to early 2009."

I don't know who their other sources are or how accurate they are, but this could put the brakes on an '08 release.

Some of the best music of their career...yet not satisfied with some tracks...hmm, can anyone say "hype"?

Sounds like once again they'll throw out great material that only dedicated fans will find, and release something more derivative that music fans will belittle... come on, where's the voice of reason... don't repeat the mistakes of your last two albums, both of which feature great songs but the best ones were left off.

Yeah, this sucks. I'm about 100% convinced at this point that we won't see a new album this year.

First, UABRS must get some attention! If any news about the album comes out now, it will interfere with sales of UABRS! My guess is that more info on the new album will become available after the release of the remaster and the dvd. Maybe just before it to focus attention again on the remaster release. So:

End of september: release of UABRS remaster
Beginning of october: news about the new album, new single announced,
Half/end of october: Single gets airplay and gets released shortly hereafter
End of November: new album release

So... 2008 is still possible! As long as the supposed unhappyness with some of the songs isn't confirmed officially, we can still hope for a 2008 release!

Keep the faith! :hyper:

I cant do with waiting any longer, i really cant. Those beach clips have got me all moist.

I hope this isn't true about 2009, maybe the lads should spend more time in the studio and less time in South of France. Trying to perfect the album by spending more time on it will probably end up in another HTDAAB, I hope I'm wrong and the albums turns out to be another great like AB. the lack of info makes me think we are unfortunately looking at 2009 which I'm sure would have consequences for the following tour (They won't want a repeat of 'Pop') :mad:

"Although not attributed directly to Edge [the quote in the Q article mentioning a post-Chrismas '08 release], that does lend credence to some rumblings we've heard recently from multiple sources that the band isn't satisfied with several tracks and may push the album release to early 2009."

no offence but what "recently" means there, as in 'early in the summer' or 'some days ago'? :|
because yeah there were "some rumblings" about 2009 at some point but for me it was ages ago, not "recently".
up until this little Q bit wich we know is OLD, everything pointed to november 2008, so why this drama now :doh:
listen, u2.com is posting clips from new album, u2.com... and we all know how fast they are with news

If it's not out this year then myself and a lot of others will be very very annoyed. This album has been in progress since mid 2006 - having worked on it for over 2 years (yes I know, the first year was on/off Rubin sessions and Morocco) it should have been finished a long time ago. I'm still hoping for a release this year, and frankly it is quite possible, because a 2009 release will screw up both sales and tour plans, and given the success of the previous two rounds (2000-01 and 2004-05) they would probably want to repeat the formula.
I just want to hear something concrete, some sort of announcement and not questionable "rumblings" from supposed credible sources. I think the emotion a lot of people are feeling is known as Frustration.

If it's not out this year then myself and a lot of others will be very very annoyed. This album has been in progress since mid 2006 - having worked on it for over 2 years (yes I know, the first year was on/off Rubin sessions and Morocco) it should have been finished a long time ago.

Honestly, I couldn't imagine the chaos on the forum if they not only delayed the release but then the songs were all produced to death.

First, UABRS must get some attention! If any news about the album comes out now, it will interfere with sales of UABRS! My guess is that more info on the new album will become available after the release of the remaster and the dvd. Maybe just before it to focus attention again on the remaster release. So:

I've said this before and I'll say it again, the sales of the remastered UABRS will be negligable. Sure all the die-hards will rush out to get it, but just like the recent 3 remastered albums sales will not be very big. I don't think the announcement of the new album would have any effect at all on UABRS, and even if it did well as far as I'm concerned (and probably most others) the new album is far, far more important.

If it's not out this year then myself and a lot of others will be very very annoyed. This album has been in progress since mid 2006 - having worked on it for over 2 years (yes I know, the first year was on/off Rubin sessions and Morocco) it should have been finished a long time ago. I'm still hoping for a release this year, and frankly it is quite possible, because a 2009 release will screw up both sales and tour plans, and given the success of the previous two rounds (2000-01 and 2004-05) they would probably want to repeat the formula.
I just want to hear something concrete, some sort of announcement and not questionable "rumblings" from supposed credible sources. I think the emotion a lot of people are feeling is known as Frustration.

100% agreed, you put it a lot better than I did earlier in this thread.

just to add some thoughts: When Bono was done playing those songs so loud on the beach, he sat down with an accoustic guitar and started jamming, obviously working on one of the songs that he played on de cd player. To me that's a clear indication that there's still some work in progress.

If U2 is planning a 2009 Tour I'll be shocked if they delay the new album till spring of 2009. After the rough start of the Popmart I'm sure U2 never wants to release an album the same year they start a tour. If we don't hear anything by the end of September then I'll start to worry.

Don't forget some bands are becoming more secret about releases of albums with leaks, youtube, etc. I know U2 is the biggest band in the world, but these guys love to set the new standard. I wouldn't be suprise if they release this album with just 2-3 weeks advance notice or just put it on Itunes.

When ever a U2 release date first starts to float around it seems you have to add a few months to it. Then you will be closer to the real release. :doh:

I bet the album will be this year, but if not who cares? I think the end product should be the most important thing. The album is a statement for all time. I don't want half baked songs.

Most important: GET THE RIGHT COLLECTION OF SONGS ON THE ALBUM. They should try to finish as many other songs so there's opportunity for picking the best stuff. I find that U2 are always rushing. Even Achtung Baby they had to improve WGRYWH for the single. POP (Please), ATYCLB (Elevation). Finish the songs please.

Less time cavorting with celebrities in the south of France and more time in the studio.

Bono has turned into a star f'er of the highest order.

When Bono was done playing those songs so loud on the beach, he sat down with an accoustic guitar and started jamming, obviously working on one of the songs that he played on de cd player.

:eyebrow: How come this wasn't mentioned earlier? And if they're leaving it up to Bono and a guitar to work on the songs then we're screwed...:wink:

I still have a hard time believing this, maybe it's just because I don't want to, but something doesn't seem right about all of this. All the talk, u2.com videos, beach clips, video shoot, etc points to them wrapping things up.

Maybe all this uncertainty is planned...:hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom