OFFICIAL - New Album Delayed Until 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No news of any kind from the U2 camp by October 1st. The official site does not apply to this.

And I'm not adamant, just confident. And I've said why many times. It's hardly a stretch of the imagination.

I see your points and I don't really find them to be invalid, i was just curious to your date that you would set.

Earlier this week I was about 70/30 that it would be this year, now i'm more towards 50/50. Granted, ATU2's article (blurb) was an unnamed source. Still just plants seeds of doubt. Anyway. I would think if we don't have any type of word in by Sept. 15th that we probably won't get something this year. But you never really know. I just wish they wouldn't be so secretive. What's so bad about letting the (rabid) fanbase know whats up? Especially after four years.

Anyway, fingers crossed everyday for an announcement.

Seriously, I actually think the doubters have to justify their opinions more so than the 2008 camp. It doesn't make any sense to me that it would be a 2009 release unless they have a pretty serious problem. Which doesn't make any sense in and of itself.

October/November 2008 has been mentioned like a broken record for months and months now, so a big problem would have to have occurred. And I don't see that having happened. Edit: But if it did happen, we are looking at either March, May, or November 2009. All of which would be painful waits.

Seriously, I actually think the doubters have to justify their opinions more so than the 2008 camp. It doesn't make any sense to me that it would be a 2009 release unless they have a pretty serious problem. Which doesn't make any sense in and of itself.

i've justified my reasons all over this thread. just read the last 6 pages. :)

October/November 2008 has been mentioned like a broken record for months and months now, so a big problem would have to have occurred. And I don't see that having happened.

STOP THE PRESSES!

Larry dropped his drumstick at 6:37 during Moment Of Surrender. Bono didn't notice it until he listened to it cranked up to 11 on his stereo. Time to start the sessions all over. Less passion this time, Larry.

There isn't one. They were discussing the tracklisting in late July/early August, claimed the album was finished, played it in their houses/backyards, and now, all of a sudden, none of that matters because they became unsatisfied with the album when they were drinking martinis in Bora Bora.

It's all hype, guys. Don't fall for it. McGuinne$$ won't let us down.

Exactly :up:. Bono is surely not going to invite all his chums round to his place and say "Hey guys, gather around, I've got the new U2 album to play you! It's not finished yet, we'd really like to tweak a few bits here and there, change the sequence, come up with a title, and blah and blah and blah. In fact it actually pains me to listen to it in the form it's in, but I'm going to blast it out so that all and sundry can hear!!!"

Let's wait for the Apple launch, if not then the RED launch, and let's not forget that Under a Blood Red Sky is released on September the 29th, and any new album announcements before that is going to put the remaster into the shade and thus affect its sales.

Re:innovative new ideas - maybe the new single will have been shot in 3D, using CGI U2 characters, and released in your local IMAX :hmm:

October/November 2008 has been mentioned like a broken record for months and months now, so a big problem would have to have occurred. And I don't see that having happened. Edit: But if it did happen, we are looking at either March, May, or November 2009. All of which would be painful waits.

but who's been mentioning Oct/Nov more? Us? Or the band?

Let's wait for the Apple launch, if not then the RED launch, and let's not forget that Under a Blood Red Sky is released on September the 29th, and any new album announcements before that is going to put the remaster into the shade and thus affect its sales.

:up:

The CGI IMAX idea is hilarious. It would be the most expensive failure since Waterworld.

i've been mentioning the spring for months :wink:

i really thought we'd have concrete news by now though. or even more rumors than we have. really, all the rumors in the past month have just come from bono playing 4-5 songs outside his house in france. if he didn't do that, we would be 10000% in the dark. and then everybody would be in a tizzy because of the edge interview. but since there were about 9000 articles spawned from the beach clips, it means the albums coming out in 2 months :wink:

we've heard Fall 2008, sure. but we've more recently heard 2009. And given that it's already Sept. and there are whispers of 2009, I Don't know how anybody can really see this as a good sign.

I was wondering...If atu2.com has been hearing that the band members are not happy with several of the songs, why did they wait to post anything about it until this interview showed up?

I was wondering...If atu2.com has been hearing that the band members are not happy with several of the songs, why did they wait to post anything about it until this interview showed up?

Probably because they thought it was a bunch of bullshit until that guy from Q said there's a possibility that the album wouldn't be ready in time.

i've been mentioning the spring for months :wink:

i really thought we'd have concrete news by now though. or even more rumors than we have. really, all the rumors in the past month have just come from bono playing 4-5 songs outside his house in france. if he didn't do that, we would be 10000% in the dark. and then everybody would be in a tizzy because of the edge interview. but since there were about 9000 articles spawned from the beach clips, it means the albums coming out in 2 months :wink:

we've heard Fall 2008, sure. but we've more recently heard 2009. And given that it's already Sept. and there are whispers of 2009, I Don't know how anybody can really see this as a good sign.

exactly! i couldn't have said it any better. i think hope and emotion are playing a big role in convincing people that the album is coming out in November.

The band (I can recall Adam saying that) and people in the studio (someone remember names?). I'm not going to bother digging up sources, but I'm sure someone has them handy.

Also, your explanations consisted mainly in just finding a couple points of doubt in an otherwise very strong case for 2008 (and they are also likely conjecture on the part of journalists--at best).

What I meant by saying that the burden is on the doubters is this: I want a coherent explanation of why/how the album could be released in 2009. January is simply too close to late November to release it then. If its ready in January then that means they could cut their vacation 3 days short and have a tracklist meeting and get it out in Nov/Dec. Which they WOULD absolutely do if the issue was a minor one. If its bigger than tracklisting, then why are they shooting a music video? And why are Eno/Lanois/Lillywhite getting so worked up over it? Lillywhite isn't even producing the damn thing and he thinks its the best ever, which means he's heard a pretty finished product. Therefore I don't see how there could be a major problem.

Honestly, I don't think I'm generally overoptimistic, but I can't see a rational explanation for pushing the album to 2009 given all the information we have at this point. Do you see where I'm coming from? I just want to see some explanations besides "@U2 heard rumblings" and the Q article. I want to hear why I might be wrong based on a careful assessment of the entire album-making situation--only because I genuinely can't come up with one myself.

Probably because they thought it was a bunch of bullshit until that guy from Q said there's a possibility that the album wouldn't be ready in time.

Great point! I don't know if I believe everything atu2.com has been saying. First they say the single is called sexy boots. And now they say Get On Your Boots. They seem to get information backwards. Oh well. I just want some new U2. :)

i think hope and emotion are playing a big role in convincing people that the album is coming out in November.

And what the manager of the band has previously said, and the whole Christmas sales argument, and the video for the new single having already been shot.

I will concede a lack of confirmed information (although we are only a week and a half behind Bomb), but there are plenty of reasons why they may be delaying this that have absolutely nothing to do with album delay (surprise/special event factor being the most likely and obvious given U2 and its ambitions).

Can someone dig up all the articles and quotes that talk about album this fall for mikal? Given what's been said over the last few months, its hardly fair to accuse those of us who have been paying attention all this time of being just hopeful or over-emotional.

Do fan reports count as well? There have been numerous reports in PLEBA of fans asking band members about this kind of thing.

And I still want to know how pushing the album back makes any sense with what we know/have heard. I need a plausible scenario. It doesn't even have to be likely.

Do fan reports count as well? There have been numerous reports in PLEBA of fans asking band members about this kind of thing.

Yes, exactly. I suppose if you discount these reports and believe them to be complete lies then our case may weaken. But does anyone believe these were actually BS?

Edit: and many (if not all) of these fan reports were corroborated by multiple sources.

The band (I can recall Adam saying that) and people in the studio (someone remember names?). I'm not going to bother digging up sources, but I'm sure someone has them handy.

Also, your explanations consisted mainly in just finding a couple points of doubt in an otherwise very strong case for 2008 (and they are also likely conjecture on the part of journalists--at best).

What I meant by saying that the burden is on the doubters is this: I want a coherent explanation of why/how the album could be released in 2009. January is simply too close to late November to release it then. If its ready in January then that means they could cut their vacation 3 days short and have a tracklist meeting and get it out in Nov/Dec. Which they WOULD absolutely do if the issue was a minor one. If its bigger than tracklisting, then why are they shooting a music video? And why are Eno/Lanois/Lillywhite getting so worked up over it? Lillywhite isn't even producing the damn thing and he thinks its the best ever, which means he's heard a pretty finished product. Therefore I don't see how there could be a major problem.

Honestly, I don't think I'm generally overoptimistic, but I can't see a rational explanation for pushing the album to 2009 given all the information we have at this point. Do you see where I'm coming from? I just want to see some explanations besides "@U2 heard rumblings" and the Q article. I want to hear why I might be wrong based on a careful assessment of the entire album-making situation--only because I genuinely can't come up with one myself.

there's no denying that there have been many "tidbits" of information leading us to believe that the album is coming out in November. i thought the same thing until last week.

to help you out, i'll list the reasons for my thinking:

- Lack of information. While there's been a lot of speculation and people in U2's camp saying October/November, we still had much more concrete information at this point in 2004 (name of the first single, single release date, album release date). We haven't received anything concrete, just speculation.

- The Edge's comment in Q Magazine

- Latest @U2 report

- LarryMullenFan's report that it seemed like Bono was still working on a track after blasting it.

- Beach Clips mean nothing. We got 4 songs in 2006 that sounded like they were complete. Yet only one was actually released and the rest are most likely on the shelf.

Can someone dig up all the articles and quotes that talk about album this fall for mikal? Given what's been said over the last few months, its hardly fair to accuse those of us who have been paying attention all this time of being just hopeful or over-emotional.

you'd be wasting your time. i've read everything and taken all of that information in basing my opinion.

- LarryMullenFan's report that it seemed like Bono was still working on a track after blasting it.

I play guitar for fun too. Sometimes I don't even record myself, but just screw around.

- Beach Clips mean nothing. We got 4 songs in 2006 that sounded like they were complete. Yet only one was actually released and the rest are most likely on the shelf.

They mean something in context. They were played in public following an article that said U2 were celebrating the completion of the album.

Why doesn't someone just start a rumour that a fan has somehow procured a copy of the new album, then we can corroborate the story, and U2 will rush-release the album faster than a Pop Idol album slips out of the charts!?! We can probably scrape enough information together to make it semi-believable. Or we could prepare a CD release of U2:The Beach Clips EP. Fear is a powerful weapon. :sexywink:

(disclaimer: I'm not being serious here, hello Universal Records :wave:. Please hurry up with the official info though :up:)

I play guitar for fun too. Sometimes I don't even record myself, but just screw around.

so do i, but i'm just going with the information that's been provided.

They mean something in context. They were played in public following an article that said U2 were celebrating the completion of the album.

and many of the articles haven't even come close to painting an actual picture of what happened, according to LarryMullenFan. once again, speculation.

It's very feasible that the band played the tracks back and are unhappy with a couple. I don't see how that's out of this world. They are perfectionists. I wish they would just say fuck it, it's great, but you know they will look for anything to fix until they think it's perfect. They don't want to have to look back with regret- which they do with Pop- because they think they could have made it better. Staring at the Sun they said they desperately wished they could have had another month with to turn into an all time classic or something like that. That was just three albums ago. I think it's likely that they would go back and do something like that than release it unprepared again. But that's just me.

there's no denying that there have been many "tidbits" of information leading us to believe that the album is coming out in November. i thought the same thing until last week.

to help you out, i'll list the reasons for my thinking:

- Lack of information. While there's been a lot of speculation and people in U2's camp saying October/November, we still had much more concrete information at this point in 2004 (name of the first single, single release date, album release date). We haven't received anything concrete, just speculation.

- The Edge's comment in Q Magazine

- Latest @U2 report

1) I mentioned that I would concede this point. But we're not even 2 weeks behind schedule yet. And that album was "finished" and then they got an entire year to redo it...so unsurprising that it was in the can and completely ready for announcing a little earlier. And it is at least plausible that U2 would go for more of a surprise approach, particularly post-In Rainbows (Bono applauded them for what they did).

2) If Edge said that it could be 2009, why wasn't he quoted in the article? There is no way to know how or why that information was included, or if it has any solid reasoning behind it. And as has been discussed ad nauseum, this was a very old interview...probably even before they went ahead with the music video shoot.

3) Latest @U2 report provides nothing to go on. I guess it's really just a matter of opinion how much (if any) weight you want to give to what boils down to another ambiguous and sourceless quote (as compared to the numerous reported quotes about fall/Nov 2008).

4) Jamming along with the song does not mean it isn't finished...just like singing along with the song doesn't mean its not finished. And given Bono's musical abilities...I mean, really, need I say more?

5) The 2006 clips were complete-sounding as you say, but they were just trying to capture some ideas that they had been coming up with while on tour (remember Edge talking about how much he/they were writing on Vertigo tour?). But they weren't in full-fledged album-making mode like everyone knows they are now. The clips sound finished to me, and--again--we have heard from multiple sources this summer that they are indeed finished OR in the mixing stage. Even Edge's new quote (his ACTUAL quote) implies that they are in song-selection/tracklist-picking mode. Which ties right back to my original point--there is no way that tracklisting is keeping them from releasing the album before Xmas. It's gotta be something bigger. Which also does not make sense.

the one major thing that i think lends credence to fall 2008, i will say, is the red music store. I think it's safe to say if they don't do something with the launch of that then we are 2009 bound. So i'm holding out hope that there's the RED store, and boom, there's No Line on the Horizon.

i'm not counting on it, but I think that is the biggest leg for the Fall 08 camp to stand on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom