OFFICIAL - New Album Delayed Until 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldnt 2009 be there year if they released in 2008, toured during 2009 and released another album before 2009 ends ?

Yesterday i was pissed off that it might be next year,but now i have read that they have 50 or 60 songs i dont feel so bad. Bono is right,why should they leave the studio if they are in a rich vein of form. We might actually get some decent b sides this time!

If there ever were proof that someone (slow loris) keeps and eye on this forum then the latest news on u2.com has to be it.

To Larry, Edge, Adam & Bono, take your time, you have my blessing

I like the idea of 50 to 60 new songs and counting, I like the fact that other people they have played the new songs for have said it's a departure.

I really like this:

He also mentions that the recording in Morocco was the first time the band have worked in a studio open to the sky: ‘On that track you can hear the sound of a swallows nest close to the building - it’s beautiful.’

I don't like 2009 but what can you do? If it is the case creativity might have outweighed money which is a good sign if you ask me...

‘We’ve hit a rich songwriting vein,’ he explains. ‘It gets a bit dark down here but looks like we've found diamonds not coal. I thought a while back we might have the album wrapped by now, but why come up above ground now if there's more priceless stuff to be found?

For now, they’re keeping a promise they made to themselves when they started writing: ‘We said to each other that if we got to the great place then we wouldn’t stop…’

So the writing and recording continues and while they now know what shape most of the album will take, they're not leaving the studio just yet.

‘We know we have to emerge soon but we also know that people don’t want another U2 album unless it is our best ever album. It has to be our most innovative, our most challenging … or what’s the point ?’

I can see their viewpoint here. Why not take more time to perfect what they have! But I seriously hope they're not gonna overproduce or overthink this album! :pray: Sometimes it's better to go with gut instincts!

‘The last two records were very personal, with a kind of three piece at their heart, the primary colours of rock - bass, guitars and drum. But what we’re about now is of the same order as the transition that took us from The Joshua Tree to Achtung Baby.’

WOW!

Again, I hope it's not just hype. You never know with these guys! :wink:

Actually I'm impressed with the fact that they're feeling their muse and continuing with it. That could mean that this album will be incredible.

However, it could mean that they feel they don't have enough 'good' songs and want to continue to flush some better ones out...:hmm:

We'll see come March...:yes:

I like the idea of 50 to 60 new songs, I like the fact that other people they have played the new songs for have said it's a departure.

I don't like 2009 but what can you do? If it is the case creativity might have outweighed money which is a good sign if you ask me...

Exactly! All i hear on this site is how U2 like to cash in at christmas. Now there delaying it for song writing purposes which has to be a good thing?

i definitely support U2 and their reasons behind this. yeah, it sucks for us, but it may be the best thing for the quality of the music.

i guess i wasn't so crazy for thinking 2009 after all...

Over reacion?! Its not exactly a delay of ''Chinese Democracy'' standards!

You don't really know that. It could be November '09, or even later, and they're just stringing us along. :shrug: There was absolutely no reason for them to spring this news on us (that we knew about), after all.

Maybe its just me,but i think the album is done for the most part. But the are writing so much stuff that it would be foolish to put out the first batch straight away,they might better it?

Now it's early 2009, wouldnt surprise me if that went to late 2009 as well.

A bit disappointed now because i was really thinking 2008.

If the quality of the songs improves because of the delay, then it's hard to argue against it....

....but I still am dumbfounded that they didn't make certain they had it done this fall/winter to take advantage of the Xmas sales and the "double Grammys." Odd. This band sure takes their sweet time (and takes plenty of time off).

I also wonder what this means for the start of the tour. I'd reckon they want to give the new songs plenty of time to sink in. When Popmart opened up just week after the new album dropped, people didn't know/love the songs yet, and the band commented that was a problem. I bet the start of the tour gets pushed back a few months now too.

I also wonder what this means for the start of the tour. I'd reckon they want to give the new songs plenty of time to sink in.

You never know. They may try to get the album out in April or something, with a tour beginning in June. It's not that radical, and certainly fits with the article.

But, if I know U2, that won't happen. It'll be much later. It always is. :banghead:

If the quality of the songs improves because of the delay, then it's hard to argue against it....

....but I still am dumbfounded that they didn't make certain they had it done this fall/winter to take advantage of the Xmas sales and the "double Grammys." Odd.

Oh God! Why??? Do they always have to capitalize on maximum sales and awards? They have more money than God! It will be very refreshing if they simply drop an album in February or something with minimal hype. That is the sort of unpredictable U2 that a lot of us have been missing lately!

Last edited:
You never know. They may try to get the album out in April or something, with a tour beginning in June. It's not that radical, and certainly fits with the article.

But, if I know U2, that won't happen. It'll be much later. It always is. :banghead:

Based on past history, they'll wrap up the album by November, drop it early March of '09 and begin the tour mid to late April...but that's purely speculative at this point....:hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom