Of the two so-called "weak" U2 albums, which is better?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Come on people. October just isn't in the same league as the rest of the U2 catalogue. I love it and all, but really now. Aside from the title track, Gloria and Tomorrow there isn't a whole lot to sink your teeth into.
Even the band admit that October is their low water mark.
Rattle and Hum would be next on the list. U2 had to radically reinvent themselves just to keep the band viable. They apologized for Rattle and Hum for ten years for God's sake.

MAP

[This message has been edited by Matthew_Page2000 (edited 12-05-2001).]

I think "Pop" is not their best effort, musically or promotionally. Feels like it was a bit forced. However, there are some good tracks on it. Here I'll rate each track:
(five star max)
"Discoteque"****
"Do You Feel Love"***
"Mofo"***
"Staring At The Sun"***
"Last Night On The Earth"***
"Gone"**
"Miami" (No stars. What a waste.)
"Playboy Mansion"(music****/lyrics**)=***
"If You Wear That Velvet Dress"**
"Please"** (live is better)
"Wake Up Dead Man"* (Lame. Using the "F" word and "Jesus" in the same sentence is a bit creepy. Also, God made the Earth in 6 days not 7. He actually rested from his labors on the 7th day.)
I think the main thing that killed this CD was the cheezy disco-slimewad look they adopted. I mean seriously, look at the picture of Adam on the page with the "Miami" lyrics. Looks really bad. Also, the packaging has a very cold "feel" to it. My opinion of course.

"Zooropa" is not without lame material, but overall, I think it is the last CD before they became percieved as a kind of elder-statesmen rock band. (Opinion)

I like Zooropa better than PoP because it has this dangerous mystery that makes you sleep with the lights on.

The only reason I would consider PoP weak would be:

IGWSHA
PM
Miami
IYWTVD

I can't stand the album version of these songs, but otherwise a great album.

I find it laughable that either of these albums would be considered their weakest. Anyway, I'd have to vote for Zooropa as being a better album. I love POP, but still can't handle PM...

------------------
"When you've seen beyond yourself then you may see peace of mind is waiting there
And the time will come when you see we're all one
And life flows on within you and without you"

Peace George

Originally posted by bullet the blue sky:
October and Rattle and Hum are not anywhere near as good as Pop or Zooropa. It's that simple.

You know, it is remarks like this that make the bad feelings and nasty remarks fly thick and fast.

I'm probably becoming known as one of the people on this forum who really doesn't like Pop, which is a bit ironic because I like Zooropa less. But you may have noticed that I avoid saying things like "Pop sucks. It's that simple." Or "Zooropa and Pop are U2's worst albums." That may be my personal opinion, but I like to avoid blanket statements of that sort because many people are so sensitive. So why not show consideration about the albums others people like?

But of course, that doesn't apply when it comes to October. Any amount of crap may be hurled in October's direction. Why? Well...because...it's OCTOBER. Doesn't that just explain it all?

------------------
One day we'd reach the great ocean
At the end of a pale afternoon
And we'd lay down our heads just like we were sleeping
And be towed by the drag of the moon

-Sting

Originally posted by Matthew_Page2000:
Come on people. October just isn't in the same league as the rest of the U2 catalogue. I love it and all, but really now. Aside from the title track, Gloria and Tomorrow there isn't a whole lot to sink your teeth into.

You're wrong.

Yeah, I can do this arbitrary thing just as well as anyone.

------------------
One day we'd reach the great ocean
At the end of a pale afternoon
And we'd lay down our heads just like we were sleeping
And be towed by the drag of the moon

-Sting

At first , Two so-called "weak" U2 albums are : ATYCLB and Rattle & Hum , .

[This message has been edited by IvanClaytonJnr (edited 12-05-2001).]

Now the shit is flying again...

------------------
"When you've seen beyond yourself then you may see peace of mind is waiting there
And the time will come when you see we're all one
And life flows on within you and without you"

Peace George

My pick would be Pop, but I'm very fond of Zooropa also. I also like Rattle & Hum and ATYCLB a lot; though, they are probably my least favorite. I don"t think U2 has any weak albums.

ZOOROPA is one of u2's best work i love this album the songs that make this album are.. zooropa....numb...LEMON(this has to be the best and ive heard this song so many times and cant get enough)..STAY and now i am sure dadys gono pay for your crash car.
i think rattle &hum might be the so called week one but it also has good songs...hmmm pop. i dont like the name album even if u2 made it as a joak its all over the u2 posters POP.

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

Dont believe the devil i dont believe his book.

good to see that it's still not possible to not like POP that much

whatever,
I am right, all of you are wrong
it may be a matter of taste, but my taste is superior
I rule, you lose

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Let me ask you something misses Womanfish. If POP would have been written by Henry Rollins, would you still consider it an Amazing album.

I know you weren't asking me but I'd like to answer.

I think if ANYONE ELSE had made POP it would have been heralded as groundbreaking. It was in some critial venues RS being one of them. POP reached territories where no one had been and noone has reched again. Bands are still playing catch up with the Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. POP sounds like nothing else it incorporates some amazing songs with those amazing sounds.

What hurt POP were all the preconcieved expectations the press had for it.

Any album would have alienated fans. U2 doesn't repeat themselves, so they run that risk.

The thing about POP was that everyone(the media and the industry)thought it would save the record industry. I remember reading an issue of RS somewhere around October of the year before POP came out. POP was still expected to be released by christmas and already the industry was talkign about how it would save christmas sales.

Then of course the whole U2 has gone techno thing, U2 was supposed to mainstream electronica and of course there is very little actually electronica about the album.

Now the cool thing is to slam POP and POPMART, which is what happens. The media shifts like wolves and it's interesting to see the same reviewer who gave POP high ratings slam it just a few years later.

But I have no problems with people who never liked it. People have different tastes. All this arguing is pretty ridiculous when it all just comes down to preferences.

------------------
Steve
SAME OLD STORY- Hardcore American Comedy

Neither of them is weak!!!

Pop and Zooropa are two of my favourite albums but I like Zooropa a bit more...

[This message has been edited by christiana (edited 12-06-2001).]

When I first bought Pop, I didn't care for it at all. But it has really grown on me over the past year. I like Pop now much better than Zooropa.....

Originally posted by mug222:
I don't believe Zooropa has really been labeled as a weak record. The three so-called "Weak" albums are October, R&H, and Pop.

Zooropa is my second favorite album ever.

Hey I like R&H and the stuff on October. Most of it's great. I love Tommorrow

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
What about Stay?!!

You're right. I forgot about stay! Great song. I think if they would have worked on it a bit more that song could have even been as good as One.

Originally posted by mug222:
I don't believe Zooropa has really been labeled as a weak record. The three so-called "Weak" albums are October, R&H, and Pop.

Zooropa is my second favorite album ever.

I don't even know if Rattle and Hum could be considered weak. I always thought many considered October and Pop to be the so-called "weakest".

------------------
Nate

"No particular place names
No particular song
I've been hiding
What am I hiding from?"

-Zooropa

Back
Top Bottom