OCTOBER revisited!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snutes1

Acrobat
Lately, I have been listening to a lot of Pearl Jam since U2 is quiet at the moment. (btw, see you at MSG 7/8 for PJ if anyone is going).
But I popped October in for a spin and it brought back memories of how not bad the album is. 1 through 5 go quickly but they rock one after another. Then it comes back strong with "With a shout" and "Stranger". A nice album I think and underrated for sure. The lyrics are a little flimsy but the effort is sincere and plus Larry rocks on many of the tracks.

Hope the Tomb Raider 2 song rumors are true.

See you guys later.

Paul.

:yes: i agree with everything you said about october. the album is definitely overrated, and it does get a bad rap because of the lyrics for some of the songs. (i mean, cut the guy some slack, most of the songs had to be written on the spot since he'd had his lyrics stolen!) but i think the music makes up for the weak lyrics.

It's funny; it was my favorite U2 album for a while after I "discovered" it, but I can't remember the last time I actually listened to it. I think "I Fall Down" and "Rejoice" are some of the best songs of their early period. But for some reason I never pull the thing out of the case anymore. Guess now's as fine a time as any...

And I kind of lost track, but I'm pretty sure that the Tomb Raider 2 soundtrack tracklist has been officially released and that U2 weren't on it. Might have imagined that, though.

Last edited:
definitively overrated, my fourth favorite U2 album, the bass lines are interesting and beautiful, Fire, Tomorrow, Rejoice... all the songs I like and is "the forgotten U2 album" :|

I personally think it's cool that U2 has an album and song named after the month in which I was born. :).

I particularly like the first 7 songs off this album.

"Tomorrow" is my favorite. The music in it's neat, and I like the lyrics, and the way it's sung...just all around a great song.

"October" is interesting, too-I love the piano in it.

And Larry rocks on those drums in "I Threw A Brick...".

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
I personally think it's cool that U2 has an album and song named after the month in which I was born. :).

I particularly like the first 7 songs off this album.

"Tomorrow" is my favorite. The music in it's neat, and I like the lyrics, and the way it's sung...just all around a great song.

"October" is interesting, too-I love the piano in it.

And Larry rocks on those drums in "I Threw A Brick...".

Angela

exactly... is very cool that a album of my favorite group is called like the month in which I was born :wink:

I :heart: Tomorrow

October is U2's gem....it is a statement by the band about the nature of their personal spirituality and to me it established this theme that would continue to dominate their work after it, in different shades and tones of course..

October to me is like the theme/album that never actually ended...it goes on...and on.....

G

pub crawler said:
Well I think I'll keep in step with everyone else.... I think the October album is hugely overrated (meaning underrated). :wink:

Same here...but of course October isn't heavy, deep and thus not "got" by many people, like a certain other album.

:eeklaugh: :eeklaugh: :eeklaugh:

I always thought October was a very uneven album, but it does contain some underrated gems, like Tomorrow (one of my favorite U2 songs ever), October, I Threw A Brick and Scarlet.

I think it's good for their second album even though there wasn't much airplay or talk about it when it was released.Some of the songs are deep and meaningful like Tomorrow.Listen to it good and just feel the vibes from it.I am right now.

I AM ADAM'S:adam:POPTART!!!

Moonlit_Angel said:

haha yeah me too!!! I love the song October, Tomorrow and Gloria the most...totally under-rated!!!

When I first 'discovered' this alum I just could not get enough of it! I dont play it as often now, but I still love it. I dont think there is a track that I dont like.
Particularly love

Gloria
I threw a brick ...
Tomorrow
I Fall down
Rejoice

It certainly has a Christian feel

Pamela

For some reason, last year was the first year that I actually at down and completely 'listened' to that album. Rejoice, Threw A Brick and With A Shout just stand out to me as great songs of desperation. Desperation in Bono trying to find the words, desperation in Edge trying to say what he can with his guitar, desperation in Larry's drums and Adam possibly communicating what he was going through with the rest of the band through his bass lines.

It's a really, really good album that everyone should listen to 'at least' once a year.

Rafiennes said:

It's a really, really good album that everyone should listen to 'at least' once a year.

yeah listen to it every October :wink:

I'm not saying it's their best album but I do love it :yes:

Gloria and Tomorrow are simply amazing. It's a shame this album is so underrated and not known very well, because it SHOULD BE. It's a gem. Maybe not the best U2 album - I personally think I Fall Down and Stranger In A Strange Land are very weak - but it's very good. I'm going to put it on (on track seven, of course!) as soon as the clock ticks over to the month of October this year. Just seems like a fun thing to do.

October is like a secret in the closet, something long hidden that suprises you with a special feeling. I admit, when I bought War in 1983 (at 13) I didn't know October existed! I had never heard it or seen it in the store. I got mine much later. It's a sweet album, with a lot of emotion. It's them at the time, and the way they felt, and some of the things they'd gone through. That makes it a special relic.

I agree with U2Kitten.
October is such joy. It's U2 as they set out to be. This album is one of the reasons I'm a U2 fan today. For it's time, recorded in the post punk era by four kids from the northside of Dublin it is a masterpiece. Always, always, remember how young those guys were and all they possessed was passion and a will to bring their music to the world.

October
And the trees are stripped bare
Of all they wear
What do I care

October
And Kingdoms rise
And Kingdoms fall
But you go on...

...and on...

Back
Top Bottom