October - Not bad at all!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BANZAI

War Child
I was listening to October today after a very long time and discovered this album is just really good and has a great atmosphere. There are only a couple of songs below average (but these songs aren't awful). Here's my ranking of each song:

Gloria 9
I Fall Down 8
I Threw A Brick Through A Window 7
Rejoice 8,5
Fire 7,5
Tomorrow 7,5 (Could have been higher if the 2nd part of the song was beter)
October 8,5
With A Shout 7,5
Stranger In A Strange Land 5
Scarlet 8,5
Is That All? 5

Average of the album is almost a 7,5! Not bad at all! Makes me wonder why so many people underrate October. Of course, the album hasn't got really big hitsongs or masterpieces. But the overall picture is in my opinion better than an album like All That You Can't Leave Behind.

October is my favourite album behind HTDAAB. I praise it. I really can't understand why people detest this album and why is so bashed and underrated here.
I guess I don't need to say anything else...

It's a strong record, great outside of Is That All and With A Shout. Faarrrrrrrr from their best though.

I think October's a pretty good album, I rank it in about the middle when it comes to a list of favourite U2 albums. Gloria is, of course, a classic, as is Tomorrow, and songs such as I Threw A Brick, Rejoice, and Scarlet are forgotten gems.

My only real problem with the album is Is That All?, as I think the album should've ended on a nice, soft note with Scarlet. I don't feel Is That All? really fits the album, definitely not in its position, and probably should've been used as a b-side.

October is absolutely fantastic.

Gloria 8
I Fall Down 7
I Threw a Brick Through a Window 8
Rejoice 8
Fire 10
Tomorrow 8
October 7
Jerusalem (With a Shout) 7
Stranger in a Strange Land 8 (I think this is probably U2's most underrated song ever)
Scarlet 7
Is That All? 5

I've never really gotten why so many people hate October, or why U2 always feels the need to make excuses for it. It's a great album, maybe it doesn't have the best lyrics of all time, but neither do a lot of their other albums. The passion is there in October, and I think it comes across very well.

October is definitely a great album... it's just (arguably) U2's weakest album as well. However, "I Threw A Brick Through A Window" f^%$ing rocks...seriously. :yes:

I think "Is That All" is a MUST on that album. Since the whole album was underdevoloped, and most songs were written on the spot, "Is That All" is like their response to the whole painstaking process of recording OCTOBER. I like it's honesty. There's a lot of anger and frustration beneath that track. Sure, it's not the greatest song, but it does a great job of documenting the confusion surrounding U2 at that point in their career.

I can't see how it could be their weakest. The only thing wrong with it is that a couple of the song titles are mixed up on the track listing. Tomorrow (which is about Bono's mum's funeral) is perhaps their most honestly emotional song. Gloria is perfect & has very, very original-sounding guitar.

I think how you rate October could be linked to how long you liked U2. I could well be wrong tho. I just cant see people who got into u2 say from AB onward enjoying it so much. I have said a few times on these boards that October is the one u2 album that takes me back to a certain time in my life. It conjours such good memories for me and for that reason it will alaways hold a special place. Personal highlights are Tomorrow and I threw a brick and of course October.

When I first listened to October, all I'd heard about the album was that it was U2's worst album and utter rubbish. So, naturally, my expectations were set pretty low. But instead I loved it. Fire is an underrated classic IMHO.

However, when I came to listen to Boy for the first time all I'd heard about it was how fantastic it was. My expectations were really high for it and I just felt let down.

So I think the fact that people go on about how crap October is leads a lot of people to be pleasantly surprised when they don't hate it completely. If people went on about how brilliant October is then maybe other people wouldn't like as much as they do......don't worry I'm fully aware that I stopped making sense here a couple of paragraphs back.

TheQuiet1 said:
When I first listened to October, all I'd heard about the album was that it was U2's worst album and utter rubbish. So, naturally, my expectations were set pretty low. But instead I loved it. Fire is an underrated classic IMHO.

However, when I came to listen to Boy for the first time all I'd heard about it was how fantastic it was. My expectations were really high for it and I just felt let down.

So I think the fact that people go on about how crap October is leads a lot of people to be pleasantly surprised when they don't hate it completely. If people went on about how brilliant October is then maybe other people wouldn't like as much as they do......don't worry I'm fully aware that I stopped making sense here a couple of paragraphs back.

I think that's very true actually. The common perception is that Boy is brilliant while October is shite...rock critic types love this because they can play up the whole "sophomore jinx" and all that crap. But in reality the truth on both is probably somewhere in the middle. October IMO suffers a bit the same way Pop does, in that it almost seems "unfinished". Also, like so much of U2's music, many of the tracks are far better played live, listen to Larry's drumming on any live version of "I Threw a Brick" for example.

ozeeko said:
I think "Is That All" is a MUST on that album. Since the whole album was underdevoloped, and most songs were written on the spot, "Is That All" is like their response to the whole painstaking process of recording OCTOBER. I like it's honesty. There's a lot of anger and frustration beneath that track. Sure, it's not the greatest song, but it does a great job of documenting the confusion surrounding U2 at that point in their career.

Agreed. "Is that all?" may have poor (?) lyrics and maybe a bit empty, but the instrumental is great (better than other songs on the catalogue) and it fits the whole album spirit. Ok, maybe it could be used as a b-side but it's not a bad tune...

CTU2fan said:

I think that's very true actually. The common perception is that Boy is brilliant while October is shite...rock critic types love this because they can play up the whole "sophomore jinx" and all that crap. But in reality the truth on both is probably somewhere in the middle. October IMO suffers a bit the same way Pop does, in that it almost seems "unfinished". Also, like so much of U2's music, many of the tracks are far better played live, listen to Larry's drumming on any live version of "I Threw a Brick" for example.

I think that maybe people were expecting another "Boy" or an album in the same vein, but thankfully, there's no U2 album equal to another one, the next one is always different.
On the other hand, although there was that problem with the lyrics and the recording sessions, but the religious spirit gives a great feeling to the album.
I find it just great.

TheQuiet1 said:

Agree with all of that. October is SERIOUSLY underrated. Seriously.

gman said:
I think how you rate October could be linked to how long you liked U2. I could well be wrong tho. I just cant see people who got into u2 say from AB onward enjoying it so much.

Maybe that's generally true for U2's fanbase, but it's not for me. I grew up on U2 (born in 1987), really got into them around 2002, so I'm a post-Achtung fan, and I enjoy October more than Achtung.

Axver said:

Maybe that's generally true for U2's fanbase, but it's not for me. I grew up on U2 (born in 1987), really got into them around 2002, so I'm a post-Achtung fan, and I enjoy October more than Achtung.

Similarly, I didn't really take a serious interest in their music until 2000, though I was vaguely familiar with some of their songs, but not really familiar with them. When I did get into their music more, I found that I've liked quite a few of their songs, just didn't put band+song together.

++++++++++++++++++

October is my 4th favorite U2 album just after Achtung Baby.

War is my favorite but that's not very common among the U2 fanbase I don't think.

October didn't take much time to grow on me, I liked 3/4 of the album by the 3rd listen.

October is classic U2, superior to War in my opinion.
Gloria is an all time great and should have been on the best of.
Tomorrow is one of their greatest songs ever, especially the second half, where the combination of Bono's voice and Edge's guitar is truly heartbreaking.
Is that all is ok but Scarlet should have been the last song on the album.

Bonochick said:
October is my least favorite U2 album...but I'd never say it's a bad album.

YUP...definetly not a bad record, actually its pretty solid.

but my least favorite of the u2 albums.

I don't think October is a masterpiece by any means but I do think it's a great album and an overlooked U2 record. Personally, I hold Tomorrow and I Threw A Brick Through A Window very close to my heart.

Axver said:

It always freaks me when I think of your age, young Axver :huh: :wink:

October is one of my favourites, it got me into U2 :up:

one of the first u2 i got and i loved it from the start. i think the way it's trashed can ruin it for those who have yet to hear it and put theheadphones on expecting the worst album imaginable. It deserves a lot better.

It's surprising that people who like War don't always like October. October has so much energy. When I think of War I think of the Red Rocks footage. Three of the highlights come from October.

Personal favorites: With A Shout, October, and Rejoice.

for me it shows their remarkable possibilities more than any other of their albums

if it wasn't for some of the tracks on the second half it would even be my favourite

still the U2 album I probably play most often

Back
Top Bottom