October - Not bad at all!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TheQuiet1 said:
Fire is an underrated classic IMHO.

agreed :drool: I think I love Fire even more than Gloria. I wish they'd play it again live!

I agree with the majority here it seems...October's one of U2's weaker albums, but a good album nonetheless. Also, I really like Is That All? as a closer. It's nice when U2 decide to do an uptempo closer for a change.

even though October's not one of my favourite U2 albums I never really had a problem with it. I've always liked it; I don't find myself going "gee, this album is mediocre." I like most of the songs on it, some more than others. Gloria, Fire, and Tomorrow are the must-haves, imo. I Fall Down and Rejoice are really cool too.

Honestly, October is my favorite U2 album.

Now don't kill me, please. :reject:

I actually think it may have to do with how old the listener is. Now, I'm not saying that, er, older people are boring, but what i'm saying, as I'm 17, is that the young crowd are into, shall we say, more....er....rebellious, energetic, spirited, crazed songs.

I think October has a lot of that. Its full of raw intensity. Though Bono's voice hadn't yet been developed, its raw. True and heartfelt. Edge's guitar are raw, crunchy, truly extraodinary. Wonderful Larry is just slamming the drumset, pounding away (I Threw a Brick Through a Window :) ) and Adam is quite energetic.

I don't mean to offend anyone, its just my observation personally and from reading the above posts.

:shrug:

And, personally, as a young guitarist, playing songs from October is insanely fun.

My favorite song to play is Another Time, Another Place (yeah, yeah, I know its not on the album, but you get my point).

Songs from October just make you wanna :dance:

you know what's a great song?

Stranger in a Strange Land

no one ever talks about it, but I dig it

October was really essential in helping establish that classic U2 sound, specifically Edge's guitar, and it also pushed the band forward a bit, doing things they hadn't done before (like the title track and the Celtic-inspired Tomorrow). Also, Adam's bass style on October is really different from any other U2 album, and Gloria is surely one of his best moments :drool:

Great album
Not my fab, but great album

for me:
Gloria 8
I Fall Down 7
I Threw a Brick Through a Window 6.5
Rejoice 7
Fire 8.5
Tomorrow 10
October 7
Jerusalem (With a Shout) 6
Stranger in a Strange Land 6
Scarlet 7
Is That All? 5.5

gman said:
I think how you rate October could be linked to how long you liked U2. I could well be wrong tho. I just cant see people who got into u2 say from AB onward enjoying it so much. I have said a few times on these boards that October is the one u2 album that takes me back to a certain time in my life. It conjours such good memories for me and for that reason it will alaways hold a special place. Personal highlights are Tomorrow and I threw a brick and of course October.

I disagree, I got into U2 with ATYCLB, and I think October is great, I love the energy on it, same with Boy and War. Hard to beleive the same band from these 3 albums made ATYCLB and HTDAAB

Back
Top Bottom