October did not fail because of the music, it failed because....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
heya

no-body looked good with a mullet!

i have no comment on the album cover cos it the music inside that matters (i once bought a shithouse sting album just cos the cover looked cool :/)
- stranger, jerusalem and i threw a brick my favs and luv the uliean pipes on Tommorow
considering its a record they made in about 3 weeks (correct me if im wrong) it's pretty bloody awesome and my no. 3 best U2 records - got sick of gloria tho

marty

I've only rarley listened to October, I havent owned it that long, But I'm really Loving "Tommrow" right now....it would probabley be my favourite track off the album actually.

Every artist is a cannibal,
Every poet is a thief,
All kill their inspiration and sing about the grief,

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Mullen4Prez said:
October is my fav album, It has really good songs on it such as Gloria, I fall down, I threw a brick through a window, Fire,Tomorrow and october. This is u2's best album.

Mine, also. It was the first U2 album I heard, back in 84, and it is still my fave.

Tomorrow is a tremendous songs among their best imo although it isn't amazingly cohesive just like ATYCLB, still I love it, GLORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIA!

Miggy D said:
Anyone who thinks the bands' Zoo personalities were anything else but facades...

doesn't know jack shit about U2.

Sorry.

That's not true, Miggy, it's just not true. I had been an intense U2 fans since 1984. I collected every record I could find, every newspare/magazine article, was a member of the U2 fan club, and walked around with a trench coat like Larry in the TUF video. I even played Larry in a lip synching contest and wrote an article about them for my school newspaper. I knew just about everything there was to know about U2. However, I didn't know what was going on with them in the 90s until after it was all over. No one ever made it vast public knowledge that it was just a facade. It's quite understandable that people who appreciated U2's moral/religious values like I did would be bumfuzzled about 90s U2.

October is my 7th favourite album yet still warrants a 5 star rating.

The album is made amazing by the fact that it has U2's greatest ever song on there.

GLORIA. The Bass solo is Clayton's finest moment and sends shivers down my spine every time I hear it. The riff that runs through the verses of the song is unlike anything else. Whilst Edge provides the energy in the verse, Bono vocals that are just as energetic and passionate in the chorus. After Clayton steals the limelight, we have an amazing outro, one that differs from the rest of the song and is extremely moving. All 4 members of U2 unite to produce something incredible. Gregorian chants add something magical to the song as well, and let's not forget that the song was written at a time when U2 were coming to terms with what for them was a difficult decision. Being in a rock and roll band whilst also having faith in God. They played the Devil's music, something they wouldn't regret continuing to do.

Amazing song. Encapsulates why U2 is the greatest. Best video clip too.

Every track is an enjoyable listen, yet Stranger in a Strange Land, Scarlet, and Tomorrow could have been better songs in my opinion if they were rejigged a little bit during production.

Fire, I Fall Down, ITABTAW and Is That All? are remarkable.

Is That All? in particular deserves praise because it was a song practically written on the spot and poses an interesting question to the listener.

"Is that All you want" from U2? After Boy and October, U2 proved that they were more than just 4 blokes who could write 2 similar albums. They were 4 blokes who would write songs like Drowning Man and New Years Day, 2 songs that show U2's willingness to "try something different."

That "try something different" philosophy has remained since U2 posed that question "Is that All you want from me?"
Think of songs like The Unforgettable Fire, Desire, Mysterious Ways, The Fly, Daddy's gonna pay for your crashed car, Discotheque, Mofo, Elevation and A Man and A woman.

Is That All? has a remarkable structure and is short and snappy with a typically U2 soaring chorus. Brilliant.

October "failed" because it was pretty much Boy Part 2. The same energy with subtle experimentation, and an unfortunate haste in trying to complete the album. Like Pop it's still an important part of the U2 collection.

Last edited:
It's about time we got someone with perspective--someone who CLEARLY enjoys October and considers it a 5 star album, but isn't foolish enough to think it's one of their more impressive efforts.

SEVENTH FAVORITE. Did everyone read that?

Thanks for the sanity.

laz

lazarus said:
It's about time we got someone with perspective--someone who CLEARLY enjoys October and considers it a 5 star album, but isn't foolish enough to think it's one of their more impressive efforts.

SEVENTH FAVORITE. Did everyone read that?

Thanks for the sanity.

laz

7th fave? And you call that "sanity"?:wink:

High time for someone (read: you) to get on the October bandwagon!

Aardvark747 said:
Indeed Axver - tho sadly, i've yet to find a live performence of the song that matches it. But what the hey, the studio version will live forever!:rockon:

I love the live versions, but never really compared studio to live.

Also, Fire = :rockon:

I'm listening to all of October right now. This album is BRILLIANT. :rockon:

Oooh, Tomorrow! :rockon:

U2_Guy said:
October is a great album. Thousands better than ATYCLB + HTDAAB together.

October is 5th on my list of favorites. I think it's a great album too but I don't think you can call it better than ATYCLB + HTDAAB together. I don't think you should throw ATYCLB and HTDAAB on one heap. They deserve better than that. What I do believe is that Gloria beats Vertigo by a mile...

Hey..I just love the live version of Gloria

80sU2isBest said:

I knew just about everything there was to know about U2. However, I didn't know what was going on with them in the 90s until after it was all over. No one ever made it vast public knowledge that it was just a facade. It's quite understandable that people who appreciated U2's moral/religious values like I did would be bumfuzzled about 90s U2.

i think you missed some key interviews and articles in the 90's to say you had now idea about what they were doing, or you are very bad at spotting sarcasm. i remember very distinclty kurt loder doing an interview iwth the band right in the middle of the zoo tv tour- where he interviewed them via the tv screens in an empty stadium. Every answer the band gave was laughing, and total sarcasm. Answers like yeah zootv is distant and overwheliming but you look great doing it (they could not even keep straight faces). there were several interviews about religious / spiritual themes missing during this time and bono said edge's solo in Love is Blindness was a better prayer than anything he could write lyrically. Every night during still haven't found- Bono would sing .. "you know i believe it and still do"

i'm not trying to be hard on you here, but to say you knew everything about u2 and read every article and had now idea about the zoo tv personas is hard to believe. i was definitely in the same camp in terms of reading every article, etc- but all it took was one zootv show and seeing the mirrorball man to realize this was a huge joke.

Axver said:

This drumming is FANTASTIC. :drool:

Yeah, the drumming really is. :ohmy: Strangely enough, until now I never paid too much attention to the drum part in the middle, only to the amazing guitar.

Electric Co. is up there too for Larry. :rockon:

had anyone anwswered about what songs should or could be remixed or mabey redone? for those people who think the pop remixes are better then the oringles on pop?

I think Gloria, Scarleyt, October, and Tomorrow again, the 96 version didnt do it 4 me

It sounds a bit slower in the vocals

"won't you come back tomorrow"

"wont you...come back...tomorrow"

and it's just Bono and Adam, and there aren't any Irish sounds in this version

Back
Top Bottom