october appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, it is nice to see some October love here!

1. The Unforgettable Fire
2. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
3. The Joshua Tree
4. Boy
5. War
6. October

October has to be the most neglected ad unfairly criticised of all of U2's albums. It is overflowing with youthful exuberance, passion, and determination. It shows sides of U2 not readily evident on Boy, and is where many of the band's strengths were first nurtured. Gloria remains one of U2's most anthemic numbers, Tomorrow is a forgotten classic, and songs like October and Scarlet are some of the first serious forays into the softer side of U2. I Threw A Brick and Rejoice - besides having some sensational drumming - are where we see a developing political interest in the band's lyrics, and I love the imagery in Fire!

Gloria - 10/10
I Fall Down - 7/10
I Threw A Brick Through A Window - 9.5/10
Rejoice - 9.5/10
Fire - 9.5/10
Tomorrow - 10/10
October - 9.5/10
With A Shout - 8.5/10
Stranger In A Strange Land - 7.5/10
Scarlet - 10/10
Is That All? - 7/10

even if it's my less appreciated album on the u2 scale, an album with such song as gloria, i threw a brick through a window, rejoice, october and tomorrow can't be considered anything else than a very good album.

This album proves how gorgeous U2 are.

Of their 11 albums is by far the one I less love. But it has Gloria, Rejoice, Tomorrow, Fire, With a Shout...

It's not the worst album, only the less good, IMO of course.

GLORIAAAAAA
GLORIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

80sU2isBest said:
October is my fave album, also!

How I LOVE your username! :wink:

October is TERRIBLY underrated in my opinion, but I understand how any fan of U2's latter career might not agree.

How I adore it's overall sound and I Fall Down is one of my all time favourites.

Irishteen said:
U2's best must be joking, great album but no TUF,JT, or AB

Nope, not joking. It was the first album I head by them and has a very special place in my heart. It's number 1 for me.

80sU2isBest said:

Nope, not joking. It was the first album I head by them and has a very special place in my heart. It's number 1 for me.

Well it is a great album, but not my favourite, Gloria, Fire, october,and the rest gets a :drool: .

Axver said:

Scarlet - 10/10

icon14.gif
icon14.gif

i love the bassline on this song .. o yea & the whole song in general.. and i think gives a glimpse where they were heading for UF

i thought id add that october has some of u2's best basslines, drum beats, the most powerful and haunting of their guitar riffs and some of bonos most passionate and rawest lyrics considering how compromised the lyrics were.

it captures u2 at their musical best without too many bullshit influences.

Back
Top Bottom