October

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wertsie

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Somebody commented recently that POP is the only album people start topics about, so here I am, proving them wrong! ha!

October was one of the albums that my mom didn't have, so it was the second one I bought I think, back in 1997.

I had always enjoyed it but didn't really grow to appreciate it until recently. I always like listening to it when I feel like I'm lacking spirituality. I'm a Christian who has never regularly attended church, so it's soothing somehow. Oh, and then there's the fact that it was released the year I was born. Pretty cool!

So many great song...There's "Gloria," "Tomorrow," and "October" of course, but I also love "I Fall Down," "Rejoice," "Fire," "I Threw a Brick Through a Window," "Is That All...." Well, I just love them all! Discuss!

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

I never said it was the only one people started topics about, EVERY album gets topics started about it, but POP is the only one with constant "appreciation" "I miss" and controversial threads. This one may be a distant second in it's controversy-ness, we'll see!

I like October. It all kind of flows together and is very enjoyable and comforting. I know I am not the only person here who likes it and does not like Pop. I hope the others will comment. October deserves its own discussion!

BTW Wertsie did you ever hear the story about how Bono got his briefcase stolen in Oregon and lost all his lyrics for it, so he had to rush something up in a hurry? The other guys say they wonder about that, since Bono was always losing things but also was a procrasinator in his work, they think he may have exaggerated to justify his lack of work and not being on time. LOL, we may never know. But it's a good record and things did turn out just fine in the boys' career!
smile.gif

------------------
~"A little out of touch, little insane, just easier than dealin' with the pain!" ~Soul Asylum, "Runaway Train"

~**The LONE She-Wolf of PLEBA!**~

Originally posted by *Stormy*:
BTW Wertsie did you ever hear the story about how Bono got his briefcase stolen in Oregon and lost all his lyrics for it, so he had to rush something up in a hurry? The other guys say they wonder about that, since Bono was always losing things but also was a procrasinator in his work, they think he may have exaggerated to justify his lack of work and not being on time. LOL, we may never know. But it's a good record and things did turn out just fine in the boys' career!
smile.gif

Yeah, actually I did hear about that.

Some people (well, I think critics, mostly) tend to sweep October under the rug or kind of call it a continuation of Boy, and that kind of annoys me. Boy is a great album, too, but there ARE differences.

Honestly not trying to be controversial here. Hmmmm...Perhaps I'll start another "album appreciation" thread!

------------------

There are a lot of differences between it and Boy and if those critics think it's a continuation, they have never listened to it. Boy is very new wave, more punk, more power pop and rock. It's also a very young and immature album and is somewhat about youth. October is a deeper more spiritual album. Many of the songs are softer. Even in the harder rocking ones you can still feel the same spirit and what the boys were going through at that time with their religion and their inner questions about it and themselves and their careers, as well as their past which made them what they were.

------------------
~"A little out of touch, little insane, just easier than dealin' with the pain!" ~Soul Asylum, "Runaway Train"

~**The LONE She-Wolf of PLEBA!**~

October was my first album. Gloria the first U2 song I ever heard. (and still my no.1 all-time).

I vividly remember 'discovering' each song, especially Rejoice and Fire.

Nowadays, my search for bootlegs takes me to 82 era stuff, for the October Songs. I cannot recommend highly enough, St Patricks Day 1982 boot. It's awesome!

I really like the song "Is That All?" I know there's not much to it, lyrically, but it's great to listen to.

I wish they had released more singles off October. Maybe then it wouldn't go so unnoticed. What song do you think would be good? I don't really know myself, but if anyone else has ideas...

On the AB video, the montage of U2's career is really cool. I love how they have the first few notes of "Fire" and then it sort of melds into NYD.

------------------

October is my least favorite album! I tried to get into the mood for this album but haven't reached that point yet! But I'm working on it!
biggrin.gif

But I do like, the song "Tomorrow" and "October." Really nice songs, that I think were very personal to Bono.

------------------
"It's Evolution Baby!"

I love October. Since it appears to be one of U2's least known albums, it almost has this "special" feel to it, especially for those of us who do love the album. I know a lot of college kids who are into arty, indy music, that seem to like the album.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by david:
I love October. Since it appears to be one of U2's least known albums, it almost has this "special" feel to it, especially for those of us who do love the album. I know a lot of college kids who are into arty, indy music, that seem to like the album.

Hey, that's nifty!

------------------

I regained an appreciation for the album recently after hearing the 1996 update of Tomorrow and nearly vomiting.
smile.gif

Am I the only person who listened to October a whole lot after September 11th? Songs like "Rejoice," "Scarlet," et al. I found really powerful at the time. And I never really appreciated October all that much until the post-9/11 era, like the first week or two.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: Listening to "Rejoice" right after 9/11 was really weird. "Falling, it's falling, outside the buildings are tumbling down..." etc. etc.

Anyway, October definitely deserves some love.

::hugs October CD::

------------------
Well, the God I believe in isn't short on cash, mister. --Bono

But a day will come
In this dawning age
When an honest man
Sees an honest wage.
--The Edge

October was the first U2 album I bought, and "Gloria" was the first U2 song I'd ever heard, when the video came out on MTV.

For that reason alone, this album will always hold a special place in my heart! I've played it to death and I fell in love with the song "Tomorrow" which is one of my all time favorite U2 songs. I know it is very "un- u2" like, but that is what makes it so special and memorable for me. If U2 ever performed it live( which I'm sure would never happen now), I would absolutely pass out on the floor.

You know, now that I think about it, it WAS after 9/11 that I really started to appreciate October. I don't think that's a coincidence...

------------------

Back
Top Bottom