Obligatory Mercy thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
John_Stamos-006.jpg

U2DMfan said:
You have to be devoid of an average quality musical IQ to not see the potential greatness in Mercy, simple as that.

:drool:

yep, the Mercy haters will show up any minute now... "OMFG NOT ANOTHER MERCY THRED!!111 "

Earnie Shavers said:
Potential greatness. It's the type of song that has the perfect framework for a Bomb-style overblown ruining as well.

Exactly, I covered myself in Clinton-like caveats, where my positon is nearly untouchable.

One of these days me and Earnie are gonna nail the whole of the willing and then we are gonna release a videtape of the both of us playing poker.

hanging my head in shame agian, but I've never heard Mercy(though I'm sure i'll hear it soon on the new album!)
How would you describe it, what song is it most like?
And where can I get it?

hanging my head in shame agian, but I've never heard Mercy(though I'm sure i'll hear it soon on the new album!)
How would you describe it, what song is it most like?
And where can I get it?

I would be inclined to keep it that way. I really wish I hadn't downloaded it, so I could hear it in all its wonder on an actual album and rejoiced at the same time the rest of the world did.

It is a fantastic song, easily the best of the 00's (and that's coming from an unabashed super-fan of the 00's) and probably one of their best ever, we'll know when we get the final version. I hope they don't screw around with it too much, cos its damn bloody good as is.

I don't think I have ever heard a U2 song it sounds like, although it would have fit well on The Unforgettable Fire in my opinion.

You can get it if someone sends it to you. I can't because I have dial-up and it would take like an hour to upload.

Thanks COBL_04

I think I'll wait. Though judging by your description it will be well worth the wait.
If it would fit on TUF than that is perfect!!!:drool:

Fit well on UF? :huh:

I would very strongly disagree with that assessment.

I say listen to it. It's not really that remarkable a song. Has potential, yes, but it's not the best thing since sliced bread.

it does have potential
but they would have to severely alter it

it's ok as it is

and it would stand out like a banana in a cup of soup on The Unforgettable Fire

I realize that Mercy has been overrated on this forum and that it is not the greatest thing since sliced bread or the second coming of Jesus. But...

...it is still a damn good song! In many ways, the lyrics remind me of Hawkmoon 269 which is another brilliant song. And Edge's guitar is so amazing here. It sounds so U2-ey and yet that One Step Closer/Crumbs chime is missing. And it's very atmospheric too. I guess that's why COBL_04 felt it would fit on UF. I don't think it will but the song is definitely atmospheric. It's a raw version and I hope it stays that way. If U2 decide to polish it, we know what happens! Most of the raw demo versions of the 00s are in my opinion better sounding than the album cuts that finally make it. On the other hand, it could be made a little shorter while still retaining that awesome guitar at the end. It does drag on for a bit in the middle, but I'm afraid U2 will rework it in a way that'll remove any atmosphere it had in the original version and make it plastic-y and radio ready. yikes.

Bad drags on a little bit in places. Who cares?

I say change it as little as possible, since considering the production as of late, the chance is pretty good that it would just get worse if they muck with it too much in the studio.

It's a great song. It really is. :drool:

Zootlesque said:
I realize that Mercy has been overrated on this forum and that it is not the greatest thing since sliced bread or the second coming of Jesus. But...

...it is still a damn good song! In many ways, the lyrics remind me of Hawkmoon 269 which is another brilliant song. And Edge's guitar is so amazing here. It sounds so U2-ey and yet that One Step Closer/Crumbs chime is missing. And it's very atmospheric too. I guess that's why COBL_04 felt it would fit on UF. I don't think it will but the song is definitely atmospheric. It's a raw version and I hope it stays that way. If U2 decide to polish it, we know what happens! Most of the raw demo versions of the 00s are in my opinion better sounding than the album cuts that finally make it. On the other hand, it could be made a little shorter while still retaining that awesome guitar at the end. It does drag on for a bit in the middle, but I'm afraid U2 will rework it in a way that'll remove any atmosphere it had in the original version and make it plastic-y and radio ready. yikes.

:up:

we must share a brain or something, maybe a medulla oblongatta. :hmm:

Definitely album worthy, BUT not on the Bomb, it would feel horribly out of place there, musically and lyrically. Having heard the new outtakes, it might go along better to something like "402".

Not the best thing since sliced bread to me though. Also, the sound, the lyrics, even Bono's voice and delivery remind me of AB. A lot. Erm, U2 removed it from the Bomb running at the last minute so they weren't going to "radiofy" it.

I think alot of people here who think the song is overrated thinks itonly because so many fasn think it is a great song.

I think its one of their best.

Peterrrrr said:
I think alot of people here who think the song is overrated thinks itonly because so many fasn think it is a great song.

ERROUNEOUS ERROUNEOUS11!!

Good song, not the best ever....could use a rework

some of the lyrics are a mixed bag :yikes:

xaviMF22 said:

ERROUNEOUS ERROUNEOUS11!!

that's great....

anway, MERCY is an awesome song. yes it has been a little pumped up on this site, but its still great.

adams bass :drool:

best two parts:
"love will come again....i'll be gone again" LOVE THAT PART

"baby, im born again, and again and again...."

As it currently stands, it's a beautiful song, with some brilliant music and some wonderful lyrics. My advice is to listen to it now, before U2 and whoever is working with them decides to tweak it and overproduce it.

It's as if "Streets" and "Bad" had a baby in the 21st century.

And the lyrics! They sound cluttered at first, but if you give them a good listen (like I did at work while bored yesterday), it's a story of searching and hopelessness that builds and concludes as the subject finds faith and true love. You can feel the tone of the whole song change from fear to confidence and faith. It's astonishing!

I say that sliced bread can take a hike.

Back
Top Bottom