Numb New Mix Now Available

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zargo

The Fly
http://www.u2achtung.com/00/radio/index.php3

The above link has a 43 minute downloadable real audio file (about 20 megs) of a french U2 radio special where they play all the new mixes on the best of including the new numb mix.

Plus they play the nasty mix of New York.

First impressions of the New Numb mix:

The first 45 seconds or so sounds almost the same as the original mix. Then the first most noticeable change: the addition of a new "I feel numb" background vocal that repeats after the edge. The new vocal could be larry or adam, who knows. Takes a couple listens to get use to. Some fans are going to HATE IT, i just know it. I don't really mind it.

At the first chorus there is some new extended improv-like falsetto from Bono, then entering the second verse some really good distorted fuzz guitar! Very cool. The guitar distortion and some new background synthesizer noise build a wall of sound to end the song.

So basically they added some new vocals, took out some of synthesizer bleeps & samples, but added some new samples and guitar distortion to even it out.

Overall, i would say it's another successful new mix (the other IMHO is Gone). I think the The new Numb mix is equal to, but not better than the original.

I'm just amazing they managed to revisit the zooropa era and not screw it up.

I recorded the new Numb mix off this show and encoded it as an MP3. Since it was originally RealAudio the quality isn't perfect, but you can hear it at least. I'm sharing it now on NewMedia as Numb (new mix) and I've also uploaded it to Sicy's FTP. It's about 5.9 meg.

typhoon said:
Could you do the same for the New York remix?

Nasty Mix? Uh, yeah, why not. Doing it now. I will put it up as soon as it's done. Give me like 15 minutes (it's 3:00 EST).

EDIT, 3:22: It's done, both places (New Media and Sicy's FTP uploads). I named it New York (Nasty Mix) with DJ because the DJ talks over the whole end of it.

Last edited:
I have the NY mixes already HERE

mebythesea! Iam just downloading yer Numb mp3, I'll put it to my site, w/ yer credits ofkorz :) thx:mac:

Mr LeMon, your site is awesome!! So is your avataar and signature!! Thanks for the link to the mp3s. :)

I have a question...
In the numb mix, is the louder "I feel numb" (right speaker) Larry's or Edge's voice??

Mr Lemon, that site of yours is flippin' cool. :yes: Thanks for the MP3s.

So far, I've heard a good version (but not better than the original) of "SATS" and a decent "Discotheque" that was lacking the fun of the original (BOOM CHA!). This new "Numb" is horrible though. I love the original a great deal, but this one just sounds totally confused with no real direction. It's as if someone through a grenade at the original and the leftover pieces melded together. Ugh.

I dont see a whole lot of difference with this Numb mix.

The New York one is like night and day.

The Numb mix is very good. I'm pleasantly surprised that they're willing to fuck with it and with us a bit by pushing forward Larry's atonal addition. Perhaps the most interesting of the new mixes, and one of the best.

Personally I think this mix is the best of the new ones. They made the song meatier. The sound is louder and fuller than the original. The volume of the original (as well as the rest of Zooropa) is very low. It is the only gripe I have with the record, which is my favorite U2 record. I think the stripped down, more live sound of the POP mixes doesn't work as well as the big noisy sound the put into the Numb mix. I wish they had taken this mentality with all the mixes. The end of the Numb mix is just incredible. The collage of sound and voices is amazing. The new guitar work at the end is superb as well. A+ for the Numb mix. As for my overall ratings of the new mixes:

Numb A+
Staring at the Sun A
Gone B+
Discotheque C

Original is better .
It is a remix , Flood and Edge did much better job on the original.
I take it as remix , no more .
Like Discotheque new mix , it lost mysterious feeling .
Amateurish remix .

pinkfloyd said:
Original is better .
It is a remix , Flood and Edge did much better job on the original.

Don't forget! THESE mixes were made by the BAND in august! They're not simple remixes, they are NEW mixes. U2 always said that they're not satisfied how they finally put together the POP songs. And maybe they felt, they should tribute to Larry w/ making louder his vocal :)

But, here is my creedo:

The originals were better :p

Back
Top Bottom