Numb live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theFly51

New Yorker
I've been pondering this question ever since I've heard this song live: Who sings the Fat Lady Voice when they play this song live?
On the DVD it shows Larry with the headset mic and is he singing falsetto? Or is it backing track of Bono singing it with Larry lip synching? I have a couple of bootlegs of the Zooropa/Zoomerang Tour and some of these versions are great. On the Adelaide show it sounds like Larry is really singing backup.

Any explenations??

That song was really disappointing live. It's a shame Bono decided not to sing the backing vocals.

I've always wondered what guitar riff Edge is playing on the song. In the ZooTV video from Sydney, for example, he can't be playing that droning main riff, can he? He seems to be strumming faster than the riff would require.

Re: Re: Numb live

Zooropean103 said:

Although I remember reading in some U2 book that Bono sang his lines on early live performances of Numb, I would love to hear that.

...which is true. I witnessed the first airing of "Numb", which happened on the 2nd night of their mindblowing 'ZOO TV-ZOOROPA' Tour '93 double bill in Rome, Italy (07/07/93).
On the first night, U2 had surprised us on Edge's solo setlist spot with a beautiful rendition of "Van Diemen's Land" – a tune, I've always wanted so much to hear.
On the second night, the band went for another step in the setlist process and finally performed the then new stuff from an album, that went to #1 that day. "Numb" was performed in a rather ramshackle way – rather obvious for a first outing – but got a stormy applause by the enthusiastic Italian crowd. Bono was on stage then, singing his 'Fat Lady' vocals live. This duett was rather nice to look at and to listen to, but obviously U2 gave up that idea and replaced the live Bono with a playback Bono on the later shows.

By the way, two nights later U2 continued to play the new album with delivering a great acoustic version of "Daddy's Gonna Pay...", played as a long snippet in the Blues of "When Love Comes ...".
Those were the days, friends ...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom