November relase Joshua Tree 20th Anniversary Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:

Yeah, it's from 1982 if I remember correctly.

There's never been any official confirmation of the recording of "Be There" - when, where and with whom are still a mystery.

There was one theory that it was maybe recorded in the US in mid-1982 based on the fact that U2 DID enter the studio in that country at that time - but what song/s were recorded have never been proven.

The sound of "Be There" in my opinion is much more akin to the tracks recorded in 1984-1986. It's more lush than the mid-1982 tracks like A Celebration, ...Party Girl, Treasure etc which are quite raw. My money's on '85/86 (Captive period maybe) but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

I couldn't find any indication that any shows on the first leg of JT were filmed or videotaped. The closest thing may be the Streets video shoot where SBS and IGC were performed between takes. Who knows if cameras were rolling or they had a audio tape machine.

I don't think there is much from Europe except Paris and Dublin. There's 2 small clips from Madrid and Rome on youtube, but it could just be press allowed in for 3 songs.

I found nothing indicating that any arena shows had video screens.

4 Stadium shows definitely did NOT have Jumbotrons: Pontiac Michigan(only leg 1 Stadium), Giants Stadium, and both Tempe's. According to "U2 Live" there were complaints with poor sightlines for Pontiac/Giants and screens were used for "most" JT stadium shows from then on.

Stadium shows that DEFINITELY had screens:
Phili
DC
Rochester
Oakland 1
Oakland 2
LA 1
LA 2
Tampa
Miami

?????????
Montreal
Toronto
Vancouver
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
Indy

If it were true that us were R&H filming throughout the 3rd leg, it would be a good bet that the band have multitrack recordings for every 3rd leg show.

u2fp

Last edited:
chocky said:
The sound of "Be There" in my opinion is much more akin to the tracks recorded in 1984-1986. It's more lush than the mid-1982 tracks like A Celebration, ...Party Girl, Treasure etc which are quite raw. My money's on '85/86 (Captive period maybe) but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

I think the vocals give it away as clearly between October and War, so I've always bought that it's from U2 going into the studio in mid-1982.

When did this actually first show up amongst traders anyway? That could be a sign.

Blue Room said:

My dream would be for the full production pro shot footage of the entire Nov. 18, 1989 Sydney Lovetown show be released. Hell will probably freeze over before that happens though.

that would be also my dream...:drool:
Löwenstein did a really great job directing that. Looks just great.

And of course I would love to see more Rattle and Hum 35 mm stuff - but I think they sold the rights to Paramount (or am I wrong?). Perhaps in two years an extended version like it was mentioned here (would be fantastic)

I`m looking very forward to the Paris DVD - It's Video, :sad: but the Band was in such a great shape that day that we can all be very glad to see this wonderful performance. And I really believe that we will get it in the Deluxe Version.

Just to remember:

c mon everybody

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbke8BGyVNw

I bet on 10 Songs - including October/New Years Day and hopefully the WOWY - Version. Bono was so supercool during that song: Nobody gets hurt at a U2 concerts...:wink:

October/ New Years Day - :drool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hirYyjSeIM8

Last edited:
Axver said:

I think the vocals give it away as clearly between October and War, so I've always bought that it's from U2 going into the studio in mid-1982.

When did this actually first show up amongst traders anyway? That could be a sign.

I remember the song first turning up in 96/97 -- it was a bonus song on a bootleg concert. That's the earliest I remember.

In "Outside It's America/Road to POP" Carter Alan talks about a recording session that took place in Long Island during (I believe) the October tour, trying to record something new. Nothing ever came of it, according to his account, so I always thought the song was perhaps one of those.

perrypickwick said:
And of course I would love to see more Rattle and Hum 35 mm stuff - but I think they sold the rights to Paramount (or am I wrong?).

I don't think U2 sold the rights of the film reels to Paramount. IIRC, they (U2 & Phil Joanou) made the film first and went shopping for a distributor after it was complete. This way they held everything in their own hands, including creative control.

:)

Paramount is the distributor of R&H to this day, all releases of it go through/come from them. But the material likely still belongs to U2 Limited.

Coming in late to this one.....

I can't tell if I'm more interested in the "rarities" or the DVD. If it is indeed Paris, it'll be nice because the dvd that's circulating right now is pretty grainy. But, I'd prefer to see a Tempe show. :drool: Granted, I won't complain with whatever we get----a pro-shot, modern-day dvd-quality JT show!

The rarities bit has me interested, mainly because they haven't come out and said exactly what they are. I'd love to see fleshed out versions of those seven 30-second clips that leaked out a long time ago.....but I have a feeling that the band may not even know that they were leaked. (Interesting to note that these clips are only 30 seconds....the delivery guy who leaked them MUST have full versions....). If they only release the "rarities" we've already gotten from the iTunes set and elsewhere, I'd give it a "meh".....but it's not so bad in the face of a remastered JT, a book, and a pro-shot DVD. :combust:

If Beautiful Ghost is one of the rarities, I wonder if it'd just be the instrumental or the iTunes version with Bono's recital of "Introduction to Songs of Experience," which was so obviously recorded with modern-day Bono's vocals. :hmm:

Chill Mike D said:
I thought it sounded like late 80s Bono.

No, he's far too scratchy on it, and the lower register he hits while speaking sounds very much like the various spoken poetry tracks he's done in recent years. Definitely 00s Bono to my ears.

In an NME article in 1992 he specifically says that he was up late the previous night recording a new song, "Songs of Innocence and Experience," so I'm guessing mid-92 for the vocals, scratchy because of the tour.

I'd also like to know how valid these rumors are. I don't want to get hyped for nothing

my thoughts are this: if they release this Paris DVD, it will be exactly like the Milan DVD - bits and pieces and not an enitre show...they will cut out some of the songs that arent theirs (like cmon everybody, help)

just my $0.02...

There's also a 20th anniversary vinyl edition of the Joshua Tree available on several sites for pre-order. I think it will be released in December. Perhaps the CD versions will be delayed until then as well?

It's strange that we haven't heard any more official news about this since the original announcement from Universal Germany. If the album really is coming out next month, I'd expect it to be available for pre-orders, etc.

morgan1098 said:
There's also a 20th anniversary vinyl edition of the Joshua Tree available on several sites for pre-order. I think it will be released in December. Perhaps the CD versions will be delayed until then as well?

It's strange that we haven't heard any more official news about this since the original announcement from Universal Germany. If the album really is coming out next month, I'd expect it to be available for pre-orders, etc.

Problem is there is no official word from U2's label in Germany that this was being released. There is an internet fan site reporting that the label told them that. Nothing else. Take it all with a grain of salt because I dont see it happening. Would be great if I'm wrong. But the Paris DVD part really is fishy to me.

I believe the JT re-release, but I'm skeptical about the DVD. Great if true.

perrypickwick said:
@Blue Room - there's a little bit more confirmation - the U2tour.de site also postet this link:

http://www.u2tour.de/newspics/2007/Universal_Schwerpunkte_Herbst_2007_p21.pdf?x=15&y=2

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Again, that is an internet fan site reporting that. There is no link to a website from the label or even an official news organization confirming it. Its an internet fan site reporting it and its one of few that are even doing that. Like I said, great if true, but I think this is going to be like when people thought the new 2007 release was a new U2 studio album. I took heat for saying no way then and we know how that turned out. Like I said, would seem believable without the DVD. The DVD makes it sound like internet BS to me. :shrug:

morgan1098 said:
There's also a 20th anniversary vinyl edition of the Joshua Tree available on several sites for pre-order. I think it will be released in December.

Nice! :drool: well if it's true!!

Blue Room said:

Again, that is an internet fan site reporting that. There is no link to a website from the label or even an official news organization confirming it. Its an internet fan site reporting it and its one of few that are even doing that. Like I said, great if true, but I think this is going to be like when people thought the new 2007 release was a new U2 studio album. I took heat for saying no way then and we know how that turned out. Like I said, would seem believable without the DVD. The DVD makes it sound like internet BS to me. :shrug:

I don't get it - do you tip on the link?

since when is "universal" a "Fan site"????

to make it a little bit clearer for you: it's page 21 from the universal katalogue from austria. U2tour.de just linked it.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

Yeah, the DVD bit kind of reminds me of that old rumor about the "DVD Boxset" that had Red Rocks, New Year's Lovetown, ZOOTV Sydney, and Elevation Notre Dame. That was a couple of years ago of course...I've since come to the conclusion that the New Year's gig doesn't even exist other than the bits that are out there (WTSHNN, IWF) already.

perrypickwick said:

I don't get it - do you tip on the link?

since when is "universal" a "Fan site"????

to make it a little bit clearer for you: it's page 21 from the universal katalogue from austria. U2tour.de just linked it.

Doesnt really look official to me. Maybe it is. I cant read the language though, where does it say there is a DVD of Paris 87?

Back
Top Bottom