November relase Joshua Tree 20th Anniversary Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, how good are those JT demos? Some of the stuff I've heard is pretty rough and incomplete and I can't imagine U2 including overly-dodgy material alongside the sweet JT b-sides. Maybe I haven't heard the good stuff.

Do you think they were holding out on us with the Complete Unreleased & Rare iTunes thing?

Also, interesting point about securing rights to those songs. It would make sense that they coughed up the dough for licensing for a major motion picture (R&H), but would they do the same for a "limited" edition bonus DVD? Sure, the fans would love an un-edited show, but it's not exactly cost-effective to pay up in this case.

Whatever, I'm anxious to see what happens. Hope they get the remastering right; I would dig a richer, punchier JT.

Or maybe I'll to hold out for the 2024 deluxe hologram of HTDAAB.

Axver said:
Given there are only seven b-sides, plus Beautiful Ghost, I think we're in for something additional. Perhaps the U2 studio version of She's A Mystery To Me? The full songs featured in those 30 second JT demos clips? Alternate versions of album songs - especially those that were around for a while like Trip Through Your Wires?

Some of the single mixes/edits are rare and sought after - and don't forget the lost gem that is "Womanfish"!!!

Another message board proposed the 2 Robbie Robertson tracks.

Maybe a bass-only instrumental track for WOWY.

u2fp

There are several songs from that era that could possibly be included on the bonus disc. Here are the ones that immediately spring to mind:

1) The previously released b-sides from the JT singles
2) WTSHNN single mix with Edge on backing vocals
3) Beautiful Ghost
4) Womanfish
5) She's a Mystery to Me
6) Sweet Fire of Love (w/Robbie Robertson)
7) Testimony (w/Robbie Robertson)
8) Testimony 12" mix (w/Robbie Robertson)
9) Jesus Christ (wasn't that from around the same time?)
10) Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
11) Any number of live tracks from the JT era

Fuck the rarities and b-sides, WE'RE GETTING A REMASTERED JOSHUA TREE!!!!! Whoopieee!!!! :dance: :dance: :love:

CTU2fan said:
If this sounds better than the MFSL JT I'll be thrilled...I already love the MoFi one so better would be awesome.

And I'd rather the Zenith show but for sure it's the Hippodrome one...frankly I'm surprised it wasn't LA or Syracuse, U2 seems to enjoy releasing shows that are already in the trading world (Boy Boston, Dublin New Year's). It would be cool if they picked something like Tempe or Denver, or Fort Worth...one of the Croke Park gigs would be cool.

I dont think the Zenith show was filmed.

Call me skeptical on this but Paris 87 DVD seems like an odd choice on many levels. I'm not sure I think this is really going to happen and may be the usual internet BS.

If they were going to use pro shot footage my guess would have been one of the Tempe shows. (Denver I would doubt as it was shot in black and white obviously). LA and Syracuse are simply Sony jumbotron film crew footage. I dont think they would use that type of footage for an official release.

I think it would be awesome if they did it though and I would be first in line to buy it IF it happened.

martha said:
I'd bet a whole dollar that it'll be the same old B-sides we all already have.

Hell, I'll even bet a euro.
Well, at least the euro would be worth something, hehehe.

Zing! :wink:

If they just choose a handful of songs from a show for the DVD I hope they include Bad and The Unforgettable Fire.

Blue Room said:

I dont think the Zenith show was filmed.

Call me skeptical on this but Paris 87 DVD seems like an odd choice on many levels. I'm not sure I think this is really going to happen and may be the usual internet BS.

If they were going to use pro shot footage my guess would have been one of the Tempe shows. (Denver I would doubt as it was shot in black and white obviously). LA and Syracuse are simply Sony jumbotron film crew footage. I dont think they would use that type of footage for an official release.

I think it would be awesome if they did it though and I would be first in line to buy it IF it happened.

Paris does seem like an odd choice, mainly because of no Streets and the tear gas incident during With or Without You which might well make them leave it out. I'd have expected Tempe, honestly. I suppose Paris works if it's a partial thing like Vertigo Milan & U218.

I'll buy it regardless what they put on it but I'm curious what will be on the 2 discs. I actually think it will be more than just the B-sides we already have; I wonder if the 2nd disc might actually be live tracks (probably the live cuts that didn't make the R&H cd).

Yeah, I'm kind of wondering why just Paris? The Joshua Tree tour had so many highlights to it.. I wonder why they just wont make a 2 hour compilation live footage DVD (In a way sort of like Rattle and Hum, but more lighthearted and featuring more than just 3 shows) with footage from duets with Springsteen, the Save the Yuppies Concert, and various other awesome songs and things that happened during the tour.

It's possible that the footage from Denver, Tempe, etc. and other shows that were incorporated into Rattle and Hum will be excluded due to rights/ownership issues with Paramount Pictures or Phil Joanou. Maybe they're just using a pro-shot show that WASN'T part of the R&H project.

david said:
I wonder why they just wont make a 2 hour compilation live footage DVD (In a way sort of like Rattle and Hum, but more lighthearted and featuring more than just 3 shows) with footage from duets with Springsteen, the Save the Yuppies Concert, and various other awesome songs and things that happened during the tour.

I nominate you to be in charge of the dvd. :love:

I wonder if they filmed the artist (whose sculpture Bono spraypainted at the Save the Yuppies Concert) when he was invited on stage at a U2 show and allowed to spray paint their stage backdrop.

Does anyone else remember when this 20th anniversary edition was posted on u2news in April, and then turned out to be an April Fool's joke? Or, I guess more correctly, it wasn't a joke, just a little bit of premature information.

AchtungDude said:

Well Peterrr,

Just read the update on U2tour.de and it said that it will be a third version.

Format 3/Super Deluxe
Strictly limited edition.
Beinhaltet 2 CDs und 1 DVD von der Paris Show (Tourarchiv) der Joshua Tree Tour.
Booklet in 4 Farb- plus Gold-Druck

A remasterd paris gig would be a dream come true!

WOW , is this true ? I'm still on my Popmart high !!!:ohmy:

So if this is their big release for the holidays, I don't see U23D coming out this year.

Last I heard about U23D was January. ( don't quote me on that)

After a quick google I find this on Wikipedia:

U2 3D is an upcoming 3-D film featuring performances from U2's Vertigo Tour concerts in Latin America. Originally scheduled to be released in the third quarter of 2007,[1] the film's release has been pushed back to early 2008.

ETS: I'm so looking forward to 2008. U23D, political race, Bono. U2, single, all the hype, U2, album, U2, U2 U2..
sorry got carried away.

Last edited:
david said:
I wonder if they filmed the artist (whose sculpture Bono spraypainted at the Save the Yuppies Concert) when he was invited on stage at a U2 show and allowed to spray paint their stage backdrop.

The "rebutal" was at a Stadium show - so jumbotron footage should exist.

david said:
Yeah, I'm kind of wondering why just Paris? The Joshua Tree tour had so many highlights to it.. I wonder why they just wont make a 2 hour compilation live footage DVD (In a way sort of like Rattle and Hum, but more lighthearted and featuring more than just 3 shows) with footage from duets with Springsteen, the Save the Yuppies Concert, and various other awesome songs and things that happened during the tour.

-The R&H live concerts should be kept for a expanded DVD of the movie. Including the music video for "Baby Please Come Home"

-Joanou wouldn't be a problem rights wise. U2 did get use of One Tree Hill for the 80-90 VHS.

-The CNN raw footage may be the only complete vide copy of "Yuppies" and who knows if the master still exists.

-LA and Springsteen Philadelphia may only exist on "dry" soundboard recordings that exclude any sound from the audience. Although crowd mics have been spotted at every U2 shows in 2001 and 2005, nobody seems to know if they properly recorded earlier shows. Maybe the band only have soundboards and 1 VHS copy of the Jumbotron feed.

-The band have never let out footage of Bono and his 1987 armsling.

<<lighthearted>>
-Are JT era fans even capable of humour like ZOO era fans? Remember The Dalton Brothers getting booed?

u2fp

Here's a thought..... maybe U2 should play some show's to tie in with the release ????? :wink: :drool:

Play the album in full in the first half and then play Pop in full in the 2nd half !

Boozyuzi said:
Here's a thought..... maybe U2 should play some show's to tie in with the release ????? :wink: :drool:

Play the album in full in the first half and then play Pop in full in the 2nd half !

Then they can tear gas the audience. Fun all around

No way they'd show Save the Yuppies with Bono's little tirade at that fan during SBS.

I'm guessing the Oakland Coliseum gigs were shot, I'm under the impression all the 3rd leg gigs were shot making the movie...

morgan1098 said:
It's possible that the footage from Denver, Tempe, etc. and other shows that were incorporated into Rattle and Hum will be excluded due to rights/ownership issues with Paramount Pictures or Phil Joanou. Maybe they're just using a pro-shot show that WASN'T part of the R&H project.

Doubt it, they included the One Tree Hill footage from Tempe on the Best Of 1980-1990 VHS. So I dont think thats a factor.

They shot most of the third leg for Rattle and Hum. Depending on the show they had more cameras and sometimes minimal cameras. Also most stadium shows from around mid October through the end of the tour had video screens in use. So there is additional Sony film crew footage of those (IE what you see on the LA 87 and Syracuse 87 pro shot bootlegs). I dont think they would use or necessarily have access to that footage though. Also, it would probably require some heavy editing and alot of hours to put the Tempe or any other actual film shot for Rattle and Hum together and I dont think they would use any of the black and white footage. About half of it is supposedly in black and white. I dont think they would put the money into that at this stage.

Blue Room said:
They shot most of the third leg for Rattle and Hum. Depending on the show they had more cameras and sometimes minimal cameras. Also most stadium shows from around mid October through the end of the tour had video screens in use. So there is additional Sony film crew footage of those (IE what you see on the LA 87 and Syracuse 87 pro shot bootlegs). I dont think they would use or necessarily have access to that footage though. Also, it would probably require some heavy editing and alot of hours to put the Tempe or any other actual film shot for Rattle and Hum together and I dont think they would use any of the black and white footage. About half of it is supposedly in black and white. I dont think they would put the money into that at this stage. [/B]

R&H outtakes(Denver/Tempe) should be kept for use in the possible extended DVD.

The group may have gone for European show to offset the Americaness of R&H.

I would imagine that the jumbotron footage from fall 1987 was all show in colour - it's just some of the big screens wer colour and some were not. Nobody seems to know if they recorded all the shows in multitrack, kept alternate camera angles raw footage or if they stuck mics in the audience for ambience(the LA footage sounds like a dry soundboard)

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:

R&H outtakes(Denver/Tempe) should be kept for use in the possible extended DVD.

The group may have gone for European show to offset the Americaness of R&H.

I would imagine that the jumbotron footage from fall 1987 was all show in colour - it's just some of the big screens wer colour and some were not. Nobody seems to know if they recorded all the shows in multitrack, kept alternate camera angles raw footage or if they stuck mics in the audience for ambience(the LA footage sounds like a dry soundboard)

u2fp

The jumbotron footage is all in color (from what I have heard) and its not necessarily in the U2 archives (possible, but Sony technically had the film). The Black and white I'm referring to is what was shot for Rattle and Hum. They shot at least half of that footage in black and white. I just dont see them releasing that footage as it was for effect with the movie.

I'm still not really buying though that the Paris DVD is going to happen. Would be great if it happens, but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:
Fan sites, not saying its not possible. But its not really being reported all over or anything.

We will see I guess. Just like that new album that is due next month, right? ;)

Back
Top Bottom