"Novelty Act", "The Sun, The Stars, and the Moon"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryanu23

The Fly
I was flipping through my copy of the Four5one book and looking at the rejected 'Pop' covers and noticed both these titles proposed. I know that both of these titles were bandied about during the ATYCLB sessions (see Propaganda and http://u2log.com/archive/000816.shtml) -- I am wondering what you guys think happened to these songs? Did "Novelty Act" turn into "Big Girls..."? Why do you think they would reject two songs that were considered potential album titles? Just food for thought...

At the end of a remix of "Discotheque" you can hear Bono whisper/sing "the sun moon and the stars." It fits pretty well and it's quiet. That's also about the only place I think that phrase should appear in their music. :D

I hadn't heard that...I'll give it a listen. I'm with you on the lyrics, although it was described in Propaganda i think as being, "the ultimate summer song" which sounds great. Maybe it'll be on the boxset :wink:

:hmm: I thought Novelty act and The sun, the stars and the moon were new songs recorded during ATYCLB. Big girls are best is soundwise and looking at its credits, a song remaining from POP sessions.

Big Girls are Best: Music by U2. Lyrics by Bono and the Edge. Produced by Howie B and Flood. Assisted by Rob Kirwan. Engineered by Flood. Programming by Howie B. Original mix by Flood. Final mix and additional programming by Tim Palmer at Scream Studios, Los Angeles.

Last edited:
U2Girl,
That's exactly what I thought but I saw both those names on the proposed covers for 'Pop' in the Four5One book so they must be left over from that time. Curious...

And yeah, 'Big Girls.." was left over from 'Pop'...so I was thinking maybe it could be the same song...just a guess...I just think if they were going to name the album that that we would at least have heard the song by now...in some form or another.

Last edited:
LOL, The Sun, The Moon and The Stars was originally done for the POP sessions. They worked on it again for ATYCLB but it again didnt make the cut obviously. The bit at the end of Discotheque is not this song. They thought they were going to release it as a B side or on a soundtrack but changed their mind because they thought it might go on a new album down the road. Its a mid tempo song with some piano (at least originally it was).

Other songs worked on during POP were as mentioned Novelty Act (which is NOT Big Girls Are Best), Hymn To The Universe and Super City Mania. These songs have not turned up so far in any form on any U2 album. Its also possible that some of the lyrical ideas may surface on new tracks but the music to these hasnt and I dont think it is on the upcoming album. Remember the version of Wake Up Dead Man that made it out is NOTHING like the demos using the same line from the Achtung Baby and Beach sessions. I'm wondering whether Bright Lights, Big City may have some of Super City Mania in it, probebly only lyrically though. I'm surprised that Origin Of Species which was completed during the ATYCLB sessions is not on the new album. Unless they changed the title and lyric to it. Should be interesting to see. Then again, some of these songs may not turn up until the fabled box set Edge has mentioned when U2 are done.

Thanks for the info Wolverine.

Yeah, I thought "Super City Mania" became "Miami" too...I could be wrong...wasn't "Bright Lights, Big City" left over from Zooropa? I thought that part of that and "Sinatra" became "Stay". I've been waiting to hear word on "Origin(al) of the Species" but it seems to have dropped off the radar.

I hope these cuts eventually come out on the Box Set and we don't just get a bunch of remixes.

Back
Top Bottom