Notre Dame show---unbelievable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SIK

The Fly
Man oh man oh man oh man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am SO glad I went to that show tonight!!!
What an amazing concert...too tired to go into much detail about it now, as I just got home.

I'll try to go into more details about it tomorrow.

But man, it lived up to the hype, and then some.

------------------
"Yeah, we'll shine like stars in the summer night, we'll shine like stars in the winter night. One heart, one hope, one love."

You lucky duck!
wink.gif

We want more details soon!
smile.gif

Tonight was a great show for a couple of reasons. The arena was tiny. The setlist was mixed up and U2 are performing stronger than ever! Probebly the 2nd best show I have seen on this tour.

Great show tonight, hopefully it translated on the webcast. Not thrilled with their version of What's Going On but it was an interesting change. Thought we'd get a bit more than one verse of Peace On Earth. And I'm still begging for the retirement of Pride (especially when The Fly is being dropped), but I'm picky.

Angel of Harlem w/the full band was excellent, Still Haven't Found still resonates, SATS is excellent acoustic, WOWY included Shine Like Stars, Bono really went for it on Stuck and Bad, amongst others. The band were in great form, and the intimate arena and excellent crowd helped make this a great show.

Initially, I'd put this behind Slane I and Chicago III, but dead even alongside Chicago IV and Hartford amongst the ten I've been to on this tour.

Nicamom, no I wasnt in the heart tonight (should be for both Chicago shows though). I was about 8 rows up from the floor right behind the mixing desk, which in this venue was about 30 feet from the tip of the heart.

It was almost like seeing U2 in a theater.

Ah, An amazing show to say even the slightest least. I just can't get over those policemen walking up on stage.. what true heroes, I mean, those guys were under the falling towers.. But The mass here at campus will be amazing today, though I'll spare you the holy catholic details of that... Yes, the concert was so amazing.. I went to Chicago 3 and DC 1 and this by far blows them all away, maybe it's cuz i's a student at the university, maybe it's cuz the heart hit the end of the arena, maybe it's cuz it's the holiest irish place on US soil, but the different songs were excellent, It seemed like there will be more of an intro do I Still haven't found.. Did anyone else think that they just kinda jumped into it... Though I didn't see popmart.. I keep holding my breath after the acoustic set that I'll hear the opening synthesizer to Please before STreets, BUt what can one do.. Bad is amazing none the less, that combo is wonderful, I'll stil hope though... It'll be interesting to see how they handle the encore.. MW is definitely interchangeable.. I did hold my breath for the opening riff to When I look at the World.. You know, There's no reason why they don't play every song off the new album except Grace.. None at all, they are all excellent songs... Wild Honey does do well acoustic... and maybe if Bono could grab a guitar down there, it'd fill out even SATS... BUt enough of my rambling.. I can't believe that I get to see them at Chicago in four days.. It's like they could have done this concert and that'd be enough for the third leg.. ok ok, I know, maybe it's just the euphoria of the concert talking, or maybe it's the three red bull and vodka's I had after the concert at the lovely Benchwarmers here at South Bend.. Cheers

I'm still in a state of shock. I never imagined I would be so close to all of them!!
I hope my pics come out well! I'm getting them bacl today of course!!! And yes, the show was staggering....

------------------
Still Elevated...

Lemonite, I agree with you on most of your post about Notre Dame.

It was a great show, one of the better Elevation shows I have seen. However, I disagree that it was better than Chicago 3. I thought that performance was MUCH stronger, in fact I think it was the best of the Elevation tour that I have seen.

Its all relative though. So many other variables play into what makes a great show for an individual besides the bands actual performance. Glad you had a great time (I did also). See you in Chicago!

So you didn't have any problems getting a camera into the venue Lady Lemon??????? If you don't mind me asking, what kind did you use, a one-time use camera, a regular 35mm, or a digital???

I am hoping to take some pics at the Philly show with my 35mm, but I didn't know if it would be harder to get it in with the heightened security and everything...

Thanks
Shygirl

Shygirl--cameras were allowed. It was stated on signs before we walked in. I just brought a disposable Fuji...didn't want to bring own camera, and the Fuij is smaller so it doesn't take up my whole purse!!! But others around me had good cameras...

smile.gif

------------------
Still Elevated...

[This message has been edited by ~LadyLemon~ (edited 10-11-2001).]

Excellent show indeed. I didn't see it in person, but the webcast worked very well. I am quite surprised.

Some random thoughts:

- quit complaining set list critics, the setlist was considerably different than previous legs. I welcome the change even though a little bit of the pace of the show was off. I don't understand the people that say the show was short - it was 2 hours which is normal for U2 and for most bands.
- Bono's voice was the best I've heard it all tour. He sounded superb on What's Going On. ISHFWILF sounded much better than the Popmart version. He seemed to be really elongating some of his notes which he doesn't seem to do when his voice is off. It seems like some rest did his voice well - very little scratchiness.
- What's Going On was great! I loved the interplay between Edge and Bono in the chorus. I loved the part at the end where Bono is screaming, "Father". Quite emotional.
- BTBS is appropriately gone. As I have argued here before, it is inappropriate in light of the war.
- SBS was more poignant than in years - "I can't believe the news today, I can't close my eyes and make it go away." That's something that so many of us in NYC and in the US have been thinking over the last month.
- The setlist was comforting, and quietly reassuring, following the themes of ATYCLB. With the absence of BTBS it was quieter.
- Bono seemed like it was his duty to be out there to try to provide some healing through his words, music (maybe, I'm reading too much into it all). U2 has an amazing ability at times to understand the mood of society, as well as anticipate it. No band today is more relevant than U2.
- The NYPD, NYFD's arrival on stage at the end rivals the mothers of the disappeared from Chile on stage for emotional impact.
- If some good mp3s surface, this show could be one of the definitive bootleggs from this tour.

Karl

You people who were there, or saw the ENTIRE webcast were very lucky! Sounded like an intense show. I only saw parts of the webcast when it was working.

Originally posted by Blue Room:
Nicamom, no I wasnt in the heart tonight (should be for both Chicago shows though). I was about 8 rows up from the floor right behind the mixing desk, which in this venue was about 30 feet from the tip of the heart.

It was almost like seeing U2 in a theater.
Wow, you had a great seat Blue Room!
I saw pics of the venue and couldn't believe how small it was!
Thanks everyone for the great reviews!

I agree, the show was simply amazing!

I have a question: did anyone notice Bono make a triangle w/his hands over his shirt during WTSHNN and also during WOWY, I was watching through the webcast and his shirt wasn't very clear; did anyone else notice this?

------------------
'listen as hope and peace try to rhyme' -*POP*

"Irish people are like Texans" -Bono, 4-3-01

What would Jesus Not do?

Back
Top Bottom