Not so original of the species!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saxgoddess

The Fly
Is it just me, or does Edge's part at the end of OOTS sound exactly like the very ending of "Streets", except maybe slowed down a little? I could be going insane or losing my hearing after listening to the new album as loud as possible for the past two weeks, or I could be right.... :eyebrow:

:wink: I love the title of this thread. I knew it had to be something to do with a suggestion of some kind of plagiarism!!

On a more serious note, I hadn't noticed. I'll listen out the next time I hear it.

Last edited:
You make as many songs as U2 has, and I'm sure one of them is bound to sound like another in some way.

There's a definite reference/allusion to WTSHNN at the end. Short enough to be a reference, not long enough to be a rip-off.

Well that's because he's doing the same progression within the chord like he did with streets....that's why it sounds like streets.

Phalanx said:
Well that's because he's doing the same progression within the chord like he did with streets....that's why it sounds like streets.

The arpeggio?

U2 often reuses old chord schemes. For instance, Miracle Drug verse has the same progession of With or Without You. Also, Vertigo has the same progression (different key) as Do You Feel Loved.
My point is that these songs sound nothing alike. The fact that they have the same chords means nothing to the dynamics and acoustics of the song.

I think chord progressions by their very nature are used and reused by musicians all the time.

Some guy named Dave Evans is sueing The Edge for plagiarising his guitar riffs. I hope The Edge does what Bono did when he was accused of plagiarisation by some muppet named Paul Hewson and bribe him with an out-of-court settlement.

Oh, and Paul McGuinness also told me that U2 were almost sued by a band called U2 for copying their sounds with HTDAAB.

Crazy.:eyebrow:

elfyx said:
I think chord progressions by their very nature are used and reused by musicians all the time.

Yeah, this is all it is really...as several posters have pointed out, a couple of chords are similar to 'Streets', but that's the nature of music.

The fact that Edge is also using his signature echo/delay sound (some might even call it a technique) in both places makes them sound even more similar.

This is the second best thread title of the year regarding the new album. Number one has to go to "WHAT THE HECK IS A YAWEH?!?!"
:lol: :applaud:

After listening to each song about three times, I agree with you on that. They sound very similar. Cool observation!

Oh God, now I have to play them, side by side album by album, and pinpoint the references or the similarities in decade/riffs/ lyrics... :huh:
Sorry, I don't want to do that. Think I will just enjoy the album as is.. no offense to anyone, but I hear so much music that sounds like someone is ripping off U2, that I don't care if they are ripping off themselves. Who better, I say? :yes:

What is U2 supposed to sound like....U2...who cares if its been "used" before if it fits the song use it again and its not like it goes on for 2 minutes.

I've heard so many "This sounds like that" for this album. I, admmittingly, have studied it myself, but the more I listen to this album, the more I'm convinced that this is their best work yet.

Back
Top Bottom